Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Last night's disciplinary

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I spoke to the lad concerned prior to him going in and he told me his version of events leading up to this so called assault. The disciplinary obviously agreed with him also for the decision made by them. Pathetic sending off in my opinion.

It's good to hear that the disciplinary committee look into these charges with an open mind and come to the right conclusion.

Assault on a referee reads very bad. In my opinion the standard of refereeing we are getting this season is very poor with cards coming out for the slightest thing and being used instead of the ref getting a grip on the game.

#22 terryg

terryg
  • Coach
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Rather than all get on the referees backs. If your club videos matches send the referee a copy every week, they do actually appreciate it and learn, It helps their development in the same way that a player benefits from video analysis.

#23 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

It's good to hear that the disciplinary committee look into these charges with an open mind and come to the right conclusion.

Assault on a referee reads very bad. In my opinion the standard of refereeing we are getting this season is very poor with cards coming out for the slightest thing and being used instead of the ref getting a grip on the game.

Following David Lowe's recent email regarding 19 red cards issued over the last two weeks, I personally think it would be a very useful exercise to research the age/length of experience of the referees involved in dishing out the red cards, (3 from our club I hasten to add} before drawing too many conclusions into the reasons why there have been so many recent dismissals.   Just a thought!  :rtfm:

Edited by barbara henderson, 19 June 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#24 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

they will be happy, it will fill the coffers!

#25 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

, I personally think it would be a very useful exercise to research the age/length of experience of the referees involved in dishing out the red cards

Without doing any research but from observation over many years, new referees tend not to flourish red cards in the first couple of years but then having gained confidence (and pedantry) along with experience the number of reds increases to a peak after about five or six years. The number of reds then gradually reduce as the referees realise that 13 a side is the game that everybody wants. The very experienced referees rarely need to use their cards.

There will invariably exceptions to the above.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#26 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have to agree the current crop of ncl referees do appear to be young and inexperienced they also no longer seem to communicate with the players either.
In my playing days the referees where much more communicative and approachable. This side of a referees persona appears to have been lost along with the fact that many would have a beer and a chat with you after the game again this no longer happens.
In my opinion the current crop of referees have little or no man management skills and perhaps this is why so many red cards are being dished out at the moment rather than the referee managing the player and or the situation on another way.

#27 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Without doing any research but from observation over many years, new referees tend not to flourish red cards in the first couple of years but then having gained confidence (and pedantry) along with experience the number of reds increases to a peak after about five or six years. The number of reds then gradually reduce as the referees realise that 13 a side is the game that everybody wants. The very experienced referees rarely need to use their cards.
  There will invariably exceptions to the above.

Great post ref , I never thought about it that way . Makes you look at it from a different angle . I never saw you dish out many

#28 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

I have to agree the current crop of ncl referees do appear to be young and inexperienced they also no longer seem to communicate with the players either.
In my playing days the referees where much more communicative and approachable. This side of a referees persona appears to have been lost along with the fact that many would have a beer and a chat with you after the game again this no longer happens.
In my opinion the current crop of referees have little or no man management skills and perhaps this is why so many red cards are being dished out at the moment rather than the referee managing the player and or the situation on another way.

Four great officials on show at the BARLA ACE Insurance Ltd National Cup played at Fylde on Saturday; 

Steve Presley superbly controlled a fantastic game with no fuss whatsoever. He was duly aided and abetted by Colin Gee, Andy Johnson with Nigel Darbyshire ensuring that everything ran smoothly in the dug-outs. And do you know what, they all came in the clubhouse for a drink and chatted with everybody and anybody who approached them.

In fact all the referees/officials on show in every game over the weekend carried out their task superbly with no reds and by recollection just the solitary yellow card throughout the weekend. In return they received the respect from players and spectators alike. Not bad considering the intensity and closeness of all the games with ten points being the highest margin in a game.

The standard of each game was from the top drawer what a great weekend - well done to all the teams, well done to all the officials, well done BARLA 

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 20 June 2013 - 07:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users