Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Defining 3 weeks coming up

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Sheffield at Home, Leigh away in the Semi Final and then a trip to Featherstone - Doesnt get any tougher.

As we havent beaten any of the other 4 teams in the top 5, I feel this is a real defining few weeks for us.

To make the final and pick up 4 points would be a great effort.

But in reality, I hope im wrong but feel we could be on the wrong end of the scorelines again going on our performances over the year to date and that we dont seem to have the cutting edge the other sides in the top 5 seem to have.

Any thoughts anyone?

Come on Batley, prove me wrong, lets have a real dig and win all three!

Edited by buford t justice, 18 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Would agree that 4 league points and a semi final final would be a great achievement.

Can we do it, I'm not sure. We have the ability, but do the players have the big match belief.

A win against Sheffield could certainly bring that in abundance though. We need to fire in attack though and take advantage of our possession and territory. The defence and fitness takes care of itself.

#3 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ever the optimist... I think we'll beat Sheffield.

#4 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

The Sheffield game is critical, IMO. If we topple them - the rest will follow.

#5 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

The Sheffield game is critical, IMO. If we topple them - the rest will follow.

I agree Chairman. And once again, the Eagles have a longer recovery than us. Always seems to happen. Playing regularly on Friday night helps in this way for the Eagles. If they play away on a Sunday, they have a longer turnaround, then when playing at home, they have exactly the same turnaround.

If you asked any team would they like an extra 2 day turnaround over their opponents at all away matches, I'm sure they would snap your hand off,

Or maybe, I am getting the excuses in early ;) .

#6 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

With tubby there on sunday along side other snooping coaches you can bet your bottom dollar an effective game plan will b3 in place to nullify our limited mainly one man attack.
If we only play frantic rugby for a quarter of the game or gift the opposition 3 score start we will get rolled

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#7 MOONEY

MOONEY
  • Coach
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Sheffield as we all know is the game we HAVE to win, leigh are beatable although they nilled us in the previous visit the giants game had taken far too much out of us. I thought leigh made more errors than us with the ball on the day and remember they only scored 6 points in the second half. We could and should have slotted over 3 penalties in the first half of that game but hey ho. As for fev they are not the team they were under daryll powell and so again are beatable, but if we are to eclipse previous seasons then these games need to be won, simples!

Weather for tomorrow heavy showers?

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I agree Chairman. And once again, the Eagles have a longer recovery than us. Always seems to happen. Playing regularly on Friday night helps in this way for the Eagles. If they play away on a Sunday, they have a longer turnaround, then when playing at home, they have exactly the same turnaround.
If you asked any team would they like an extra 2 day turnaround over their opponents at all away matches, I'm sure they would snap your hand off,
Or maybe, I am getting the excuses in early ;) .

Are weeks two days longer in Sheffield or summat ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

We should go out there with the Aim to win all 3 games. That would ensure us a place in the top four and put us up there for a top 2 finish. We are not playing our best rugby yet ( I personally think our best performance so far was against York in the 3rd league match this year). We need more belief.

#10 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Rugby League paper said that Sheffield were lucky to beat Dewsbury, so they are not firing, but are unbeaten for ages. Shame that Challenge Cup game isn't nearer.

I am optimistic, this team never fail to surprise me with their commitment and desire, but Brambani & Walker, not to mention the South islanders are a constant thorn in our side. You just cant call it, but we are due a victory over these.

If we win though, i fear we will lose at Leigh ( we normally do after a great win...), then come back at Featherstone all guns blazing again, and heroically lose by a point or two.

4 points but no final visit!

#11 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Don't think been firing on all cylinders,but think the performances are improving,Leeds rhinos come from fifth every year don't think always playing to their potential,then lift performances,hoping see off Sheffield,Leigh and think we should have beaten fev at home

#12 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

So I will go with 3 wins hopefully

#13 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Are weeks two days longer in Sheffield or summat ?

Yep.  Friday to Sunday. 9 days. Simples.  :onthequiet:

#14 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Someone on twitter just offered to put £100 to Bissa if we win our next 3 games. Wonder what the odds are & a good gesture to boot
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#15 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I dont understand the reticence of batley supporters!

You guys are more than capable of beating all three oppos (for fracks sake weve beaten Halifax twice this year and we're mediocre)

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#16 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I would like to see a decent crowd tomorrow for what should be a cracking game.  I'd bring a friend if I had one!  Any ideas how we supporters could add a few extra speccys to the gate?

#17 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I would like to see a decent crowd tomorrow for what should be a cracking game. I'd bring a friend if I had one! Any ideas how we supporters could add a few extra speccys to the gate?

Go in the Nash and march them up the hill at gunpoint?
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#18 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

OK, will do if I can lay my hands on a gun in time :unsure:

Go in the Nash and march them up the hill at gunpoint?

#19 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

not just him.lots of problems with our lack of ideas in the opposition 20m...when props are getting it on the last tackle something is wrong.

even when our halfbacks get it we look  slow and unorganised.easy to defend against.too much trying to barge over and one man up stuff.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#20 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

alex rowe dragged the Sheffield player 5 metres to pull him over his own line and score :drag:  :drag:  :drag:  :drag: he got dragged off for stupid offloads......comes back on and does the same thing again the very first tackle and again and again in those conditions......as dumb as it gets

There were three players in that tackle so no need to just blame Rowe. I agree with the offloads but Smith could not keep hold of the ball, Davies made his fair share of silly offloads, and we had no penetration on their line. Two of their tries came through our own errors, but they were definitely the better team.

We are still, however still in with a shout!