Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Defining 3 weeks coming up

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Dreadful conditions, but I've got to say a dreadful performance yet again against a top 4 side. Clueless ball in hand, and I'm afraid the weather can't be blamed for that as we play in exactly the same manner on dry days.

7 minutes to go and Ash Lindsay is taking it up twice in a set, with a prop getting it on the last tackle. It's like we've got no offensive structure or set moves. Is it the players or is it the coaching? If we can't barge or scoot over from 5 yards we don't score.

You can almost predict a set:

Tackle 1: winger scoot
Tackle 2: fullback scoot
Tackle 3: inside ball to Walton
Tackle 4: Ash Lindsay onto a short ball/slow looping pass to a second rower out wide
Tackle 5: drive by prop

We are incredibly boring to watch, even when we are winning. With the exception of Johnson and Flanaghan (apart from the obcession with scooting 5 yards out), and occasionally when Geeenwood and Campbell have the ball. Too much structure and caution, no spark and no invention.

The sad thing is, apart from the first 10 minutes when they looked ultra sharp, I don't think the eagles played particularly well either, and made just as many errors. The key is they found a way to win.

We are in the top 4, and with a lesser budget than the clubs around us, so we should be content. However, this group of players have got the ability I think to be more than that.

Thoroughly disappointed.

Edited by Nick07, 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#22 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

So if we try to offload our players are dumb and if we play it safe we are boring.......Ouch

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#23 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

However, this group of players have got the ability I think to be more than that.

Thoroughly disappointed.

Not sure about that, Nick. I think our current squad is achieving a position it deserves (i.e. just outside the top 3). If we want to push on, we need better players.

Personally, I think we need a different scrum-half to complement Black. Gareth Moore is an undoubted talent, but for me he really hasn't got anywhere near his best this season - we look a better side when Hemingway plays alongside Black, but if the rumour-mongers are to believed, Tom is on his way. A different no.7 would work wonders for us at the minute, IMO.

#24 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Not sure about that, Nick. I think our current squad is achieving a position it deserves (i.e. just outside the top 3). If we want to push on, we need better players.

Personally, I think we need a different scrum-half to complement Black. Gareth Moore is an undoubted talent, but for me he really hasn't got anywhere near his best this season - we look a better side when Hemingway plays alongside Black, but if the rumour-mongers are to believed, Tom is on his way. A different no.7 would work wonders for us at the minute, IMO.

Black has moments of magic, but for me goes missing in games far too often. We need a half back to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get us going. For me the pairing we have dont work.

I also am beginning to question the method currently being employed by Kear. Granted hes got the defence right, but we look like we never practice any attacking play. Something must change in this regard as its woeful.

I agree we arent good enough to bother the top 4, but we may at least give them more of a run for their money if we work more on our attacking play. At times its like watching under 8s just learning the game.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#25 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

You might be right Chairman, although i think the ability is there to progress in the backs at least. We just dont know how to utilise them properly. I also think we badly miss a proper ball handling loose forward who can link the play and provide an alternative to the halves.

Our defensive structure and fitness levels are excellent, as BTJ has alluded to, and those allow us to grind down and beat, occasionally comfortably the teams below us. It's not enough against the better teams though.

I like Black as he has that maverick like ability to produce something magical, but he isn't the type to control a whole game. Moore and Hemmingway are very similar and both decent championship players in their own right, but I don't think any of the combinations have worked this year.

Or are the players just performing in accordance with the game plan they have been told to follow.

#26 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Or are the players just performing in accordance with the game plan they have been told to follow.

On the odd occasions we throw the ball wide at pace and use offloads we look dangerous.

Then we revert back to one man, error strewn dross.

Ive no idea what the gameplan is, but it doesnt involve attacking play, and we certainly dont have a plan B, and at times we dont look to have a plan A.

I like John Kear and respect what hes done in the game, but other than tightening the defence up, we look no different than we did under Gary Thornton, and we all know how bad our attacking play was back then.

Fans pay money to be entertained, and the 'winning ugly' mentality we seem to have is beginning to test the patience of fans. The grumbles are getting louder every week.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#27 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

maybe if he got some ball it might be different.....for someone who writes match reports you should be aware which side we score the lions share of tries down even with limited ball, as well as which side leaks the points defensively. from what Ive heard you will have your wish next season.....but it does makes you wonder why a top 2 side would want him though doesn't it ??

Unfortunately (previous post) we can't watch it back as premier/sky went down and apart from a few minutes all there was was a blue screen.
Regards players being wanted by top 2 clubs, then yes I believe that does reflect well on Batley, but be honest here, it comes down to one thing-----MONEY. Do / Are clubs working to budgets? In Batleys case I would say yes hence 'alledgedly' having lower contracts etc, but one thing for sure is the club will be here long after players have gone,and if players ARE seeing greener grass then so be it, but the other side of the coin is players at said clubs will be looking around( having been potentially replaced) and we all know teams such as Featherstone/Halifax etc may have a few half backs/other players that may be available.
Good luck to those that go and welcome to those coming in is what I say, as today loyalty is a thing of the distant past.
By the way Bulldoggy style good luck said half back.

Edited by colinb, 21 June 2013 - 11:48 AM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#28 Deputy Dog

Deputy Dog
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

The real disappointment for me last night was our lack of ideas and invention in the opposition 20. This was summed up by the decision to kick the goal from the penalty 10 yards out and showed a complete lack of confidence in our ability to score a try.

#29 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Highlights courtesy of Eagles TV

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aaPKhk7tkak

#30 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

The real disappointment for me last night was our lack of ideas and invention in the opposition 20. This was summed up by the decision to kick the goal from the penalty 10 yards out and showed a complete lack of confidence in our ability to score a try.

I thought it the correct decision as it put us one score from a draw and gave us the ball back. On reflection the conditions would not allow for the type of game we wanted to see and Sheffield are the best team in the competition. I think they only just beat us and scored three unusual tries!. Our luck will change hopefully in a final!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I thought it the correct decision as it put us one score from a draw and gave us the ball back. On reflection the conditions would not allow for the type of game we wanted to see and Sheffield are the best team in the competition. I think they only just beat us and scored three unusual tries!. Our luck will change hopefully in a final!

I sort of agree with you in some aspects. I think the point is that we are really close, but it's whether we are able to take that final step. Sheffield are good, and that's twice this season we have been really close to them. If we win next thursday we will all be happy (but with the spectre of Sheffield in front of us again!!)

#32 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

The fact Batley can hold its own at the top is good enough but I would like to see us reach the summit and as it is a £141 million jackpot on Euromillions tonight and if I win.......... :drinks:

#33 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

The fact Batley can hold its own at the top is good enough but I would like to see us reach the summit and as it is a £141 million jackpot on Euromillions tonight and if I win.......... :drinks:

Aye, and don't tell me, if you win, it won't change your life one bit - you'll be keeping your job stacking shelves at Netto three days a week. :tongue: Thought you might have bought the Rams and brought in ###### players for us, so's we stayed near the bottom ... oh ! :shout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users