A Boundary Park return?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

I wonder if there will be a return to Boundary Park if this story turns out to be true:

http://www.mancheste...h-wants-4390434

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think he's more likely to move Salford into boundary park and keep roughyeds as a feeder club.
It's certainly great news for latics!

#3 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Takeover? The Roughyed Devils!!? Who knows what Ideas he may have.

Am I right in thinking he didn't manage to purchase Salford city stadium when he bought the reds!?

#4 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yep! Salford City Reds to Boundary Park, and Sale Sharks can have sole tenancy of the "smelly" stadium, which will be quite a slap in the chops for Salford Council and poor old Swinton Lions!
Who knows he might even buy out ***** ********!

One lives in hope!

#5 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Move Salford to BP???? What? Never, no hope, no chance. Let Salford do what they want, Kowcash can stick it, We are not Salfords feeder club either for what its worth, we are Oldham RLFC. No mergers, no Salford playing in Oldham what a joke. We have our own identity and always will have, I would rather stick pins in my eyes than have Salford (a city in their own right, with their spanking new stadium) coming into Oldham and trying to take over our clubs identity, it should be ORLFC playing at BP if this comes off.  Its a no from me.

#6 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Move Salford to BP???? What? Never, no hope, no chance. Let Salford do what they want, Kowcash can stick it, We are not Salfords feeder club either for what its worth, we are Oldham RLFC. No mergers, no Salford playing in Oldham what a joke. We have our own identity and always will have, I would rather stick pins in my eyes than have Salford (a city in their own right, with their spanking new stadium) coming into Oldham and trying to take over our clubs identity, it should be ORLFC playing at BP if this comes off. Its a no from me.

yep with u totally taffy

#7 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

It seems to have gone a bit quiet on here in the last twenty four hours so I thought why not be just a little bit controversial. I can't  see Oldham progressing very much for many years if I am entirely honest, and Whitebank is not the Godsend that we all believed it to be when the news first came out. In fact it may well be a bit of a heavy weight upon us that holds us back even more in the future. So, and here comes the bit where I anticipate being dragged off the street and shot at dawn at the end of Watersheddings Street, I think this guy could be our Saviour if he takes over the Latics and buys the ground, moves us back into Boundary Park and allows us to work closely with Salford, as we seem to be doing quite well out of the deal just now. Things may change but to be honest I have only seen benefits coming our way so far.

Finally I, and it seems quite a lot of others that I have spoken to today, would not be averse to a merger of the teams and playing at Boundary Park. I don't doubt that a majority of the diehards, all three hundred or so of them, will faint with displeasure and would boycott the club if this happened, but they could well be replaced with a thousand or more stayaways. Similarly Salford's diehard nucleus would object and stay away but in return some others may return.

Personally I would rather see Oldham playing at Boundary Park at the upper end of the Championship and linked with Salford than as we presently are.

I know the arguments against but as Oldham don't seem capable of much progress I would rather see this happen than the team continue to perform at their current level in the current stadium. I think that if the diehards want to watch this standard of rugby in similar surroundings then it will be provided at St Annes and Waterhead so nothing can be lost and all can be gained.

There, I've gone and said it now and I just hope that no one takes pot shots at me in the street. Remember this is just me being devils advocate but at the same time I tend to think that I would support this move personally.

Edited by Ex-scrumhalf, 19 June 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#8 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

You would seriously want to merge with Salford?? Id rather boil my head than merge with anyone

#9 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ex scrum-half, have a day off. You claim to care about ORLFC, why don't you bore Scarlet Turkey on RL fans instead of clogging our ORLFC message board up. Go and watch Salford if you wish, the badge on my shirt says Oldham RLFC. If you don't like it tough, our lads are playing for Oldham and give 100% every week, might help if some of you went to a game once in a while. See you at Whitebank Saturday and Sunday ;)

#10 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm not really a stayaway, but admit that I don't, often can't, get to every game, but trust me, I understand and respect your views and not that long ago I would have been on your side heart and soul. Sadly something just tells me that if things don't improve very quickly we could have nothing to follow at all soon.

I know the lads give 100% and that's good to see, but it's what goes on off the field that worries me, and it really hurts me when I see the result of a game and then see the attendance of four to five hundred.

I was one of the protesters when a merger was proposed years ago, I held a banner saying "NO MERGER" but it makes me cringe when I think that we got into Super League, Salford didn't, but look at where we are now. I know lots will disagree but sometimes I think we may have been better off if we'd lost that war.

In an ideal world I would much prefer Oldham to be on their own and doing well, but I have to ask myself if it is really ever going to happen? I wish it would because I really do care and after 56 years of going all over the place watching Oldham I think I have the club in my bones just as much as you. Just a different opinion that's all, and of course I readily hold my hand up, I may well be wrong.

However I knew it wouldn't take long to get someone on here disagreeing with me. Glad I got something moving anyway.

Good on you for keeping up the support and here's hoping for a good win on Sunday.  

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

It's got nothing to do with what we think or want. If Dr koukash wants it and is willing to pay for it then OOTR you may be boiling your head sooner than you think. To him it's business. Like I said elsewhere if he owns a stadium in Oldham why pay rent in Trafford. A takeover could be on the cards. Change the name to the roughyed devils or Manchester Red Devils or West pennine devils or whatever and in a few years no one will care he will have Manchester covered. Just to put the recordcstrsight this is not what I want. I want Dr koukash to dump Salford buy the Latics and roughyeds and invest in the heart of rl. But it ain't going to happen.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 19 June 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#12 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Fair Play to you Ex Scrumhalf, a very well constructed reply, opinions count for everything, nice to have a natter and a debate without resorting to some of the stupidity that happens on this board sometimes. This Club matters to all true ORLFC supporters, it is a crying shame that we don't have a "decent" ground and facilities. Its certainly not Us v Them, its all of us who hold this great club close to our heart. I cant defend the club on the lottery issues etc. I fully agree its disgraceful. All I ask is that no matter what ,the lads on the park give 100% and wear that shirt with pride and deserve support from the RL community in Oldham. All I can say is they do give 100% and love our fans who support them everywhere. I will always support ORLFC and to be fair the standard of RL we are playing is well above the St Annes, Waterheads or Saddleworths of this world. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that too.

Yours in sport

Taff

#13 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Nice one Taff. At the end of the day we are all mates who want the best for Oldham but none of us have the answer, just different ideas. Perhaps one day things will change for us and we'll be back up there were we belong. And, of course, you are 100% correct that the standard is indeed much better than that played at any of our superb local amateur clubs, even though I played for two of those you mention in my youth. All I can say is that you are right, wear the shirt with pride, give 100% and who can ask for more. As for the fans there are none better than those I have come across in Oldham.

#14 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Well, how about being 'all mates' together on Sunday then!

Following what have quite rightly been described as 'classic' games against the 2 Welsh teams our match this weekend promises to be another thriller, so 'get down there' and give the players the support they really deserve.

#15 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Well said logic il be at the club at midday and behind the posts at the game as always hope to see a good turnout for the lads

#16 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

From past experience, Salford need Oldham more than Oldham needs Salford. Salford for years have wanted to infiltrate Oldham with their 'poor' community programme, and try and a put a 'hands off' on the talent from Oldham, giving the other SL clubs a tougher time in picking up the talent from this rich area. Remember, Salford's amateur scene is nothing comapred to what Oldham as a town has to offer. Speaking to a local coach from the Salford area the other month, who also coaches at a Salford based club, on what Salford do for their club? The answer, was absolutely nothing! And that sums up Salford, it's structure and it's identity.

However, with this 'deal' Oldham have struck up with Salford, in my view, the merger has already happened sadly.

Edited by oldhamer, 20 June 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#17 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Well, how about being 'all mates' together on Sunday then!

Following what have quite rightly been described as 'classic' games against the 2 Welsh teams our match this weekend promises to be another thriller, so 'get down there' and give the players the support they really deserve.

You are absolutely right and I will be there. Will there be a pint on the bar with my name on it?

#18 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Im going Sunday be only my 2nd game but my love of Rugby League is well and trully back. Loved following the games on radio and Twitter so far this season

#19 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

These dual purpose agreements are a way of getting the mergers back on track.

How many dual registration link ups that have happened this season feature the teams that the rugby league wanted to merge a few years ago.

Oldham & Salford were two clubs they wanted to merge can anyone remember all the others.

I don't want Oldham to merge but to keep their own identity, however if that is still how the RFL & SL see the future of Rugby League to be then it is going to happen.

If we merge we could be South Pennine , the Roughyed Reds.

#20 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

You are absolutely right and I will be there. Will there be a pint on the bar with my name on it?

there will if u find me in the bar mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users