RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour de France 2013

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Some interesting stats with regard to previous winners

http://www.cyclingne...in-and-jalabert

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Still, everything is above board now.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Still, everything is above board now.

Behave.

Doping in sport will always be a problem, what governing bodies have to do which they haven't in the past is recognise the problem and publicly name and shame those who fall foul and don't sweep it under the carpet. Team Sky currently have a Times journalist shadowing them this year with full access to the riders and staff just to show that they are a clean team. 

Cycling definitely lead the way in doping and now anti-doping. Looking at some of the performances and the link the Wolford provided its very hard to say that the stars from the past weren't on something or other. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Behave.

Doping in sport will always be a problem, what governing bodies have to do which they haven't in the past is recognise the problem and publicly name and shame those who fall foul and don't sweep it under the carpet. Team Sky currently have a Times journalist shadowing them this year with full access to the riders and staff just to show that they are a clean team. 

Cycling definitely lead the way in doping and now anti-doping. Looking at some of the performances and the link the Wolford provided its very hard to say that the stars from the past weren't on something or other. 

Team Sky and The Times are owned by the same company.  It's a neat idea but hardly independent verification of honesty.

Edited by gingerjon, 19 June 2013 - 09:43 AM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Team Sky and The Times are owned by the same company.  It's a neat idea but hardly independent verification of honesty.

Fair point, although I think Team Sky are sponsored by Sky and not owned. Although the issue of impartiality still stands. It would be a scoop for the journalist to report on any form of doping with Team Sky or British Cycling after they have been so vocal about being clean (as was Armstrong and US Postal). 

Fides invicta triumphat

#6 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Some interesting stats with regard to previous winners

http://www.cyclingne...in-and-jalabert

Loved the nerdy discussion about power output in the comments below the article.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Loved the nerdy discussion about power output in the comments below the article.

Magnus Backstedt was commenting on Eurosport the other week and was commenting on how he could never be a team leader because he was so naturally well built. It would have been a physical impossibility to achieve the necessary power-to-weight ratio for climbing.

He said that, in that aspect, Indurain was a freak.

#8 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Magnus Backstedt was commenting on Eurosport the other week and was commenting on how he could never be a team leader because he was so naturally well built. It would have been a physical impossibility to achieve the necessary power-to-weight ratio for climbing.

He said that, in that aspect, Indurain was a freak.

As I remember Indurain had an enormous lung capacity giving him the ability to oxygenate his blood whilst maintaining a relatively low heart rate.

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

The eve of the tour and I can't wait. We're heading out for the Alpe d'huez and Mont Ventoux stages and I'm still trying to convince the missus to take the bikes (she doesn't like climbing :(). Anyway, saw this shot of Lotto Belisol and Liquidgaz out training and made me laugh.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Severus, 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

The eve of the tour and I can't wait. We're heading out for the Alpe d'huez and Mont Ventoux stages and I'm still trying to convince the missus to take the bikes (she doesn't like climbing :(). Anyway, saw this shot of Lotto Belisol and Liquidgaz out training and made me laugh.

I'd say enjoy it but I know you will anyway.

Just watching the countdown programme on Eurosport and like you, I can't wait for it to get underway. 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

My UK & Ireland predictions:

Edwald Boasson Haagen will win 2 stages.

Mark Cavendish will win 4 stages.

Chris Froome will fall out with Richie Porte who will be his main rival, and team-mate.

Dan Martin will win a stage.

Sky's Ian Stannard, Peter Kenaugh and and Geraint Thomas will be unsung heroes. Following the race, all will be offered deals with rival teams.

Chris Froome will win the yellow jersey, but not as easily as predicted.

Peter Sagan will win the green jersey.

Joachim Rodriguez will win the polka dot jersey.

A Russian rider will fail a drug test.

Edited by Wolford6, 29 June 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Today's prediction:

Edwald Boasson Haagen

#13 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Cav's got the skin suit on and looks like he means business. I reckon Cav will nail it but have an outside feeling Greipel will have something to say about it.
Fides invicta triumphat

#14 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

My prediction is that Froome will fall off befoe theyve got going properly ...

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Apparently the Orica Greenedge team bus is stuck under the finishing banner with only about 12 minutes before the riders get there.
Fides invicta triumphat

#16 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

We that was a ###### shambles. Riders told that the 3km mark was the finish but then the got the bus moved and it went back to the original finish. Big crash within 3km of the 3km line that brought down Sagan and Cav got caught behind it. Greipel suffered a puncture and Matt Goss crashed in the last corner so none of the favourites for the sprint finish. Everyone finished on the same time but not the finish we wanted.
Fides invicta triumphat

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Utter farce of an ending, but really exciting. Poor tactics by Sky; a major crash left them with three men in the leading group, but they didn't work as a team.

Be interesting to see: 

- if any major contenders are hurt following the crash

- what the organisers do about the times of leading contenders who crashed.

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Tony Martin is reported to have a broken collarbone and Geraint Thomas has gone to hospital.

That course was unsafe for this race, all narrow roads and street furniture.

#19 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

It was a shambles and yet had us gripped as the chaos ensued with the finish line debacle.

Got to feel for Tony Martin, he has come off the worst - must be gutting

I kept thinking they're going to stop it, neutralise it, but no - the reults stand

The commentary team were saying how wonderful Corsica is. It's a shame if they never go back because of the actions of a few people. I know the finishing gate had been lowered but isn't it up to the driver to assess - don't they have sensors these days in order to assess such dangers going under bridges?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#20 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Tony Martin seemed to be leaning into Greipel just as Greipel was shouldering the bloke to his left. Martin went down as soon as the big man moved away.

Real shame to lose a rider of Martin's quality so early in the race but it's a dangerous sport, it happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users