Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour de France 2013

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Should be a fantastic climbing day in the Pyrenees tomorrow. Steep climbs and descents all day.

Sky have got this locked down but may allow a breakaway tomorrow from an outsider with no overall GC ambitions but fancy a shot at King of the Mountains. That means some other riders could take some pressure off Sky by pace-setting in the early parts of further mountain stages

Looking at the standings, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Danielson and Christophe Riblon have a go. Johnny Hoogerland and Tommy Voeckler will definitely have a go. Sky will grind down the rest unless Alberto Contador and Alejandro Valverde can recover from today's stage better than Froome and Porte.

Stand by for some top class gurning in that case.

Thomas looked as if he'd blown a gasket yesterday but he's a fighter all right. I always enjoy watching him get stuck in.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think Eurosport's cycling commentator David Harmon is the business.

http://velovoices.co...-harmon-part-1/

He took a few months off from commentary earlier in the season. Here's why in part 2 of the same interview.

http://velovoices.co...-harmon-part-2/

I've chosen to watch the ITV4 coverage this year and its pretty bloody good. 

Chuffed for my second favourite team Orica Greenedge and Simon Gerrans with their first Tour stage win just beating Sagan to the line. 

It's very handy being able to switch between the two when they go to an ad break.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#43 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

It's very handy being able to switch between the two when they go to an ad break.

Yes, and today ITV and Eurosport were sharing filmed interviews with the riders.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#44 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Killer  of a stage and Froome did brilliantly to survive on his own in a group with rivals who were supported by several team mates.

Richie Porte paid for yesterdy's effort and is now 19 minutes back. Therefore, there is no longer a Plan B for Sky if anything happens to Froome.

The commentators were saying there was a fair chance of the back markers being timed out, but they all seem to have finished within the allowance.

God knows how Greipel and co got over those climbs; they must weigh half as much again as the pure climbers.

#45 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Must be something up with team sky. One rider outside the cutoff, team leader having to defend the yellow jersey for 100+ km's, Porte dropping 18 minutes back. I reckon it could be a bug going round.
Fides invicta triumphat

#46 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Tony Martin wins the Individual Time Trial to Mont St Michel, Chris Froome second by 12 seconds, another 2 minutes back to Valverde, so Chris Froome has a Yellow jersey lead of 3'12"
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#47 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I think Contador is waiting to pounce in the Alps. He may not do enough to win it, but he'll eat into Froome's lead.

#48 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Cavendish  knocked over Kittell's team-mate yesterday, but got exonerated by the commissaires. Today, a roadside fan (or fans) threw urine over Cavendish during his time trial run.

Sprinter's day tomorrow. No love lost between Cavendish, Greipel and Kittell.

Last 500m should be fun to watch.

I hope for Greipel but think it will go to Cavendish. He's mean even when he's not annoyed.

#49 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Froome has done superbly in the Pyrenees and today on the TT. I know there has been a lot of talk from some quarters about how his performance is a little suspicious but I can't help thinking "please be clean, please be clean".

The Cav/Veelers incident seems to be blown out of proportion by the media. In my biased opinion Veelers was slightly more to blame as he clearly veers into Cav but the speeds involved means that I doubt it was intentional from either parties. As for the 'fan' who threw urine at Cav today, I love the fact that you can go and watch these world class athletes for free from only a few feet away. It is a privilege. I cheer every cyclists partly because you get caught up in the atmosphere and partly because is ###### difficult what they are doing. Flying out tomorrow to Nice and will be on the slopes of Mont Vontoux and Alpe d'Huez next week :D

Edited by Severus, 10 July 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#50 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Flying out tomorrow to Nice and will be on the slopes of Mont Vontoux and Alpe d'Huez next week :D

Very jealous.  Have a ball mon ami.  (and no throwing tinkle at anyone).

Twas an ambition to ride up Ventoux which now looks forlorn.... I believe there are a couple of forum members who have done it!

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#51 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Very jealous. Have a ball mon ami. (and no throwing tinkle at anyone).

Twas an ambition to ride up Ventoux which now looks forlorn.... I believe there are a couple of forum members who have done it!

Alpe d'huez I reckon I could do, mont Ventoux would take some training. I did 1km of vertical ascent of the Tourmalet a couple of years ago and that was knackering. I have a colleague who has done some serious climbing and he says the Ventoux was the hardest thing he has done.

Edited by Severus, 10 July 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#52 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Very jealous.  Have a ball mon ami.  (and no throwing tinkle at anyone).

Intending to do it with my brothers in 2017. One of my brothers has done it before.

#53 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

As for the 'fan' who threw urine at Cav today, I love the fact that you can go and watch these world class athletes for free from only a few feet away.

Flying out tomorrow to Nice and will be on the slopes of Mont Vontoux and Alpe d'Huez next week :D

Don't forget to take the bottles to hold your urine in. :scout: :sarcastic:

Edited by Wolford6, 10 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#54 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

Don't forget to take the bottles to hold your urine in. :scout: :sarcastic:

Meh, when in Rome ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Edvald Boasson Hagen has a broken shoulder blade and been forced to abandon the Tour. Sky have now lost two riders and three more have had bad crashes.

Chris Froome looks a bit more vulnerable

#56 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sky's Vasil Kiryienka was timed out in stage 9, Sky down to 7 riders

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#57 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Everyone was expecting a relatively uneventful day today with a sprint finish but Saxo Tinkoff had other ideas.

Froome got ambushed by Contador and Kreuzinger of Saxo and lost a minute.His Sky team couldn't drag him back to the lead group, so it doesn't bode well for Froome in the Alpine mountain stages.

Alejando Valverde was second at the start of the day but lost nine minutes. Either he or his Movistar team-mateJoachim Rodriguez will now have to go for a mountain win in the Alps. Therefore, Movistar and Sky may do a deal in joining forces against Saxo and Belkin on the climbs, with Froome letting a Movistar rider win the stage.

Sunday's stage up Mont Ventoux will be a belter.

Tomorrows stage is fairly lumpy. I will predict a win by a breakaway group and Pierre Rolland and Juan Antonio Flecha to be in the first five. (In theory) the rest will be taking it easy before the Alps. However, theory went out of the window today.

#58 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

This is the most interesting TDF I've watched (5) Lots of unexpected things

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#59 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Everyone was expecting a relatively uneventful day today with a sprint finish but Saxo Tinkoff had other ideas.

Froome got ambushed by Contador and Kreuzinger of Saxo and lost a minute.His Sky team couldn't drag him back to the lead group, so it doesn't bode well for Froome in the Alpine mountain stages.

Alejando Valverde was second at the start of the day but lost nine minutes. Either he or his Movistar team-mateJoachim Rodriguez will now have to go for a mountain win in the Alps. Therefore, Movistar and Sky may do a deal in joining forces against Saxo and Belkin on the climbs, with Froome letting a Movistar rider win the stage.

Tomorrows stage is fairly lumpy. I will predict a win by a breakaway group and Pierre Rolland and Juan Antonio Flecha to be in the first five. (In theory) the rest will be taking it easy before the Alps. However, theory went out of the window today.

Froome genuinely awesome today, and I do not use that word lightly. Looked strong and made his point well and truly up the hill!

#60 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Froome genuinely awesome today, and I do not use that word lightly. Looked strong and made his point well and truly up the hill!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users