Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tour de France 2013

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

It seems unless you are a French, Spanish or Italian rider then you don't deserve to win the TDF.

I don't think it is a nationalist feeling that opposes the Anglophones. The thing that cycling traditionalists can't stand is the way Western technology and science has changed the training, preparation and recovery programmes. Riders no longer are separately purely by ability.

It's  comparable to the reason why traditional rugby union fans disparage rugby league, because professionalism has  meant that RU teams have recruited and adopted RL coaching, training and playing practices. Essentially, since then, the opportunities for the flair player in a given RU match have diminished ... just as they have in a given post-Superleague RL match.

In cycling and rugby, you can't halt progress. However, it is natural for we fans to revere the old-style characters that graced our sport.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#82 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Wow, what a sprint and what a tour. Chuffed for Froome and Kittel, but shame that Omega Pharma Quickstep just weren't the lead out train that Highroad and Sky were to give Cav a chance. Quintana and Porte must be future tour winners. Bring on the Vuelta.
Fides invicta triumphat

#83 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I had a few quid on Kittel today. I thought he was exceptional value at 11/4.

Been a particularly enjoyable Tour this year IMO. Loved the grand finale too. 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#84 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Some French fans attack Team Sky staff :O

According to the info on youtube they were accusing Team Sky of doping and told to get out of France.

Fides invicta triumphat

#85 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Unpleasant stuff.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#86 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

When was that? Utterly disgraceful...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#87 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

When was that? Utterly disgraceful...

Don't know when or where this took place. Watching the tour was a superb experience but there were a fair share of boozed up fans getting a little excited. At Alpe d'Huez we walked down to the switchbacks only to walk back and watch it in the town because we couldn't be doing with the rowdiness. Must say that on the whole the people couldn't have been nicer.
Fides invicta triumphat

#88 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Don't know when or where this took place. Watching the tour was a superb experience but there were a fair share of boozed up fans getting a little excited. At Alpe d'Huez we walked down to the switchbacks only to walk back and watch it in the town because we couldn't be doing with the rowdiness. Must say that on the whole the people couldn't have been nicer.

Interesting. The SKY employee showed a lot of restraint; not sure I would have showed the same.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#89 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

In his acceptance ceremony Froome showed what a dignified gentleman he is

The whole event was fantastic

#90 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

In his acceptance ceremony Froome showed what a dignified gentleman he is
The whole event was fantastic

"This is one yellow jersey that will stand the test of time"

Brilliant
Fides invicta triumphat

#91 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thought the organisers did a real good job with the tour.
To arrange the Orica GreenEdge bus to get stuck under the gantry at the stage 1 finish with 15 minutes to go was a masterclass :)

Seriously, some great stages and fantastic mountain racing.

IMO I'd prefer a couple more time trials in place of the flat transit stages.
A longer. higher mountain time trial stage would be good, as well as a longer team time trial stage.

#92 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

I always thought Formula 1 was dull : one bloke staying in the front in no danger of losing for 3/4 hours solid.

In the TdF it's three weeks. :O

Impressive achievement of course, those guys are all hard as nails.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#93 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

I couldn't agree more. The whole thing is as dull as ditchwater.

It goes on for so long, it almost becomes a parody of itself by the time it is over.

All sport is like that if you dont understand whats going on

#94 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

It goes on for so long, it almost becomes a parody of itself by the time it is over.

really? obviously le tour is not just about he GC. what about the points race, or king of the mountains, or the stage win by a breakaway rider. the excitement of the time trials, or the tactics used by competing teams to get an advantage? or the huge pile ups at crucial stages of a race that throws everything up in the air? it may not be to everyone's taste, bu I wouldn't say it was dull!

#95 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Really, well seeing as you seem to be suggesting that I am ignorant, why don't you do me a favour, and educate me?

Perhaps the  TdF could be compared to the English Premier League. Not every team can win it outright ... and the actual winner is only the head of his team, but there are other prizes on offer. Fans love their team and hope it can pick up other consolations.

The sprints are duels between different team's star men. There is an achievement for the big men in just getting round the Alps and Pyrenees. Some individuals are not great sprinters, time-triallers or climbers so their only chance of winning a stage is a breakaway. Other riders have a negligible chance of winning anything in a major tour, they spend their whole tour as domestiques, chasing down breakaways and acting as a windshield to slipstream the ride of their team leader. The spirit in the teams is fantastic; Phillipe Gilbert is the current world champion but he has just spent three weeks working as a domestique for two team members. Geraint Thomas broke his pelvis on day one, but completed the tour to help Froome win.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#96 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thought the organisers did a real good job with the tour.
To arrange the Orica GreenEdge bus to get stuck under the gantry at the stage 1 finish with 15 minutes to go was a masterclass :)

Seriously, some great stages and fantastic mountain racing.

IMO I'd prefer a couple more time trials in place of the flat transit stages.
A longer. higher mountain time trial stage would be good, as well as a longer team time trial stage.

Agreed. As for TT's replacing flat stages, you've got to give something to the sprinters to win. If I was the ASO I would have:

- 3 TT stages, 1 flat individual, 1 team TTs and 1 mountain TT. The mountain TT stage from this years tour was superb viewing although I would outlaw planned bike changes ala Froome.

- Get rid of intermediate sprints. The points jersey should be for the best spinter, i.e., Kittel, not for a sprinter who can cope with the hills. I love Sagan but his tactics this tour whilst very successful, made for a boring green jersey competition.

- Don't have flipping hard mountain stages one after the other. The Alpe d'Huez stage was epic, but the stages either side of these were boring as either the riders were saving themselves or were too knackered from the previous days efforts.

- Re-tarmac the champes elysees - alright this one is a bit pie in the sky but the finale to the most prestigious bike race in the world should not resemble Paris-Roubaix.

Fides invicta triumphat

#97 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Meh, you two like RL, what would you know about exciting sports :P

Fides invicta triumphat

#98 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Really, well seeing as you seem to be suggesting that I am ignorant, why don't you do me a favour, and educate me?

Grand tours are great,

On a mountain stage you (the team) get your leader, usually the best climber to the front and let him go, meanwhile one or two other team members hang back in the group, if a rival chases then you go with him a get in front to disrupt his climbing rhythm as much as possibile.
One these stages you can gain many minutes over a rival which can give you the overall victory.

And a others has said there are races within races,
The sprint teams are particularly impressive to watch as the tactics unfold as to who get the best finish in

I don't expect you to like cycle racing over night but try it in future with an eye on the tactics

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 25 July 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#99 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

My favourite stages are when a breakaway survives and usually a lone rider from the breakaway wins (e.g., Riblon winning this years Alpe d'Huez stage). These are quite rare since for a breakaway to survive it cannot have a rider that will threaten the GC and it needs to be large enough for the riders to share the effort and keep the peloton away.

The main thing that effects bike races is drafting where the riders that are sheltered behind the front men can save up to 40% of energy just riding in the slipstream. You will often see a rider at the front flick their elbow out, this is a signal to the rider behind to come through and ride on the front. Whether they do this is another matter, most will because it will keep the pace of they group up ad if they don't, it will be remembered in future races and others may not help a wheel sucker out.
Fides invicta triumphat

#100 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I don't think it is a nationalist feeling that opposes the Anglophones. The thing that cycling traditionalists can't stand is the way Western technology and science has changed the training, preparation and recovery programmes. Riders no longer are separately purely by ability.

It's  comparable to the reason why traditional rugby union fans disparage rugby league, because professionalism has  meant that RU teams have recruited and adopted RL coaching, training and playing practices. Essentially, since then, the opportunities for the flair player in a given RU match have diminished ... just as they have in a given post-Superleague RL match.

In cycling and rugby, you can't halt progress. However, it is natural for we fans to revere the old-style characters that graced our sport.

How we long for the days when you could win a Tour on Gauloises, brandy, coke and amphetamines.  ;) 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users