Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

he said he wanted to go to a top 4 club

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Big loss for us, great signing for Salford.

I'm told that, as well as other ability, he was a good goalkicker as a junior.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

He said he wanted to sign for a top 4 club (allegedly). The Bulls, though, presumably don't care if he signs for a Top 4 club or not as long as somebody pays a fee for him, which is a bit different. If you read the tweets of the Bulls reporter at our local paper ( https://twitter.com/rosshtanda ), I would assume that the deal thus far has done with bare minimum input from Whitehead and the Bulls just want rid quick and for some dosh. It remains to be seen if Whitehead has the courage of his conviction or if he takes the money and runs.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#23 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Great signing for Salford and won't be the last

All those people who said Marwan hasn't done anything can keep quiet.

I've come round to the good doctor, but until Whitehead turns up at a press conference wearing the Salford kit, he still hasn't.
  • PC likes this
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

Fair enough, the doctor has dipped his hand in his pocket so that must quell some of the doubting noises, including from me, about him.

I'm just a little worries that a player has seemingly been "unsettled" so shortly after agreeing a new deal.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 19 June 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#25 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

If this comes off, great signing for Salford, young, talented and great prospect.

The doctor has a desire for top four, so VW is right to be worried his club will be left behind :P

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

If this comes off, great signing for Salford, young, talented and great prospect.

The doctor has a desire for top four, so VW is right to be worried his club will be left behind :P

left behind?........................you're having a laugh
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

To be fair to Whitehead, he said he wanted to move to a Top 4 club, that doesn't mean that a top 4 club wanted him.

If he wasn't wanted then he has sort of made his bed and would have to go where he could.

I would also argue that whilst Salford are not currently a top 4 club, I think they will be an exciting progressive club to play for and it will be a good move for him if it happens. He is young enough to be there for the next 8-10 years or so and could actually be part of the revolution that Salford are looking for.

#28 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Bradford supporters since 1900? Just how old are your family?

Maybe he means since 7 o'clock ?

"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#29 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

No wonder the game is going down hill, when promising young players have agents like Whitehead and Kopczak have looking after their interests. Both players were in to new supposedly long term contracts, which their agents told them to ignore. The game still has no major sponsor, and the majority of clubs are spending up to cap limits and dare I say it? Over in some instances. So clearly there is little movement for larger salaries and yet we have players agents telling players to ignore new contracts and yet these same agents would be the first to complain if clubs failed to honour contracts. No one is against players having increases in salaries, but please let it be done in an honourable manner.

#30 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

What a ridiculous apparent fee they've paid for a player who's defensive frailties make him not much better than average. IMO he's not even the best back rower at the Bulls. Bateman and Addy put Whitehead to shame weekly.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#31 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

It's perhaps worth pointing out here that he hasn't actually signed for Salford. All that's happened is that Salford and Bradford have agreed a fee, and, to the best of my knowledge, we don't know what that fee is.

I feel sure though that should he decide to move to somewhere other than Salford, there will be plenty of people who will quick to gloat over it, even though what has happened so far is a long way from him actually signing.

Such is the "Rugby League Family".

#32 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

What a ridiculous apparent fee they've paid for a player who's defensive frailties make him not much better than average. IMO he's not even the best back rower at the Bulls. Bateman and Addy put Whitehead to shame weekly.

Bateman is much better, but I'm not sure Addy is (get a dig in before he signs for Cas). However, I think that Donaldson will become a better player than Whitehead.
People called Romans they go the house

#33 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'll take the Michael out of whoever he signs for. I get to watch him on a regular basis and I'd never want him at my club. The poor defensive reads and the amount of tackles he falls off is ridiculous for a "young star" of the game. Just go on the SL website and click on the missed tackles part of the stats page. I haven't checked in a few weeks but he was top last time I looked.

#34 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Bateman is much better, but I'm not sure Addy is (get a dig in before he signs for Cas). However, I think that Donaldson will become a better player than Whitehead.

I like Addy. He's not as quick but has a better all round game than Whitehead. What makes him even better is that he can defend :lol:

I have no love for anyone who can't defend in SL. They just shouldn't be there.

#35 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I like Addy. He's not as quick but has a better all round game than Whitehead. What makes him even better is that he can defend :lol:

I have no love for anyone who can't defend in SL. They just shouldn't be there.

Addy has been top of missed tackle rankings for SL.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#36 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Addy has been top of missed tackle rankings for SL.

How recent? Whenever I look its Olbison, Whitehead and Walker in the top 3?

Some players improve. Whitehead never has.

#37 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

:lol:

As recent as right now! Told you I haven't checked in a few weeks. He must have had a bad month because I'm sure he wasn't in the top 10 last time I looked ;)

#38 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

he didn't sign for a top 4 club cos hes not a top 4 player

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#39 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

left behind?........................you're having a laugh

No, the money Salford will offer players will in time improve the squad and leave you behind.... Lets just see two / three seasons time

Left behind? With signings like Danny Tickle the Widnes revolution is just beginning.

Pmsl. Forgot about the marque signing to put more bums on seat

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Whitehead's defensive stats are nowhere near as bad as some suggest and werent much worse than more established and experienced players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users