RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

streaming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Whilst I won't subscribe to sky I am aware of the many opportunities there is to watching rl free on the Internet.
Ok, streaming isn't perfect but its getting bettrr... much better.
Being a real music enthusiast for as long as I can remember, and reflecting on the size of my vinyl/cd collection with affection, I now look at the state of the music industry and the virtual impossibility of people to get breaks and make money out of music these days.
I watch with some interest/concern the development of streaming services and the availability to watch rl for nowt and anticipate the impact such services may have for subscription channels and their sponsorship of all sports
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#2 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Illegal streams are a huge problem for tv companies which will of course impact on how much they can 'invest' in sports.

The key will be for companies to create legal streaming methods such  as http://www.rlbet.co..../live-streaming and opening p sky go as a happy medium

#3 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Aye, I kind of thought the likes of itunes/Spotify might be sich an half way house in the music industry. It wasnt to be. Free downloads are widely available despite the music industries best efforts. I feel its only a matter of time that sports faces a similar impact from illegal broadcasting.

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Whilst I won't subscribe to sky I am aware of the many opportunities there is to watching rl free on the Internet.
Ok, streaming isn't perfect but its getting bettrr... much better.
Being a real music enthusiast for as long as I can remember, and reflecting on the size of my vinyl/cd collection with affection, I now look at the state of the music industry and the virtual impossibility of people to get breaks and make money out of music these days.
I watch with some interest/concern the development of streaming services and the availability to watch rl for nowt and anticipate the impact such services may have for subscription channels and their sponsorship of all sports

Illegal streams are a huge problem for tv companies which will of course impact on how much they can 'invest' in sports.

The key will be for companies to create legal streaming methods such  as http://www.rlbet.co..../live-streaming and opening p sky go as a happy medium

This could be a can of worms for the companies involved.

I do sympathise with bands trying to get started, but I have no sympathy for the "music industry", which made hay when it controlled the production and sale of recorded music in the UK. It was arrogant and thought its gravy train would keep on rolling. It woke up to the threat of modern technology too late and then tried to clamp down too hard (digital rights?). The genie is out of the bottle there and I have no sympathy.

I feel much the same about the sports broadcast industry, but they are trying to go with the flow of modern technology to provide a service that people want instead of what they want us to have. I hope this can be sorted without too many tears, as it could impact badly on my favourite sport.

I do not subscribe to Sky, instead I watch my RL live now that I live in the UK. I do not stream RL any more, either. I used to stream it when I lived abroad, and I justified this to myself by arguing that Sky wouldn't let me subscribe while I was in Greece. With a more imaginative approach from Sky, I probably would have subscribed for my RL fix as the signal is available in Greece. Again, as with the music industry, it's their attitude to their customers (or potential customers) that grates with me. With Sky now, I worry about how much of my subscription, should I change my mind, would go to soccer, a game I despise and which is already awash with money. I don't think I'll bother, thanks, unless they allow me to subscribe to "my sport" only.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

As far as Rugby League goes Robin, IMO I think it serves them right! You can now purchase a day pass for Sky for £10. A TENNER!.....A TENNER!......DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!

All I'm interested in is the odd Rugby game, any Fev away games I can't get to, the odd Liverpool match for my grandkids, and a couple of hours Ashes Test Match Cricket per day (I don't have the time to sit glued to the box all day long!). If they brought out pay-per-view streaming for a reasonable price you would get less piracy. A couple of quid per day for an Ashes Test Match is still  a tenner they wouldn't get, and 2 quid for a Rugby League game sounds about fair, at least no more than a fiver! There are plenty of people out there who don't watch much telly, so why would they want to pay a month's subscription, plus the off-putting set-up fees, just to watch the occasional game their club may be involved in? So if the product is not available to them at the right price, who can blame them if they succumb to the temptation and watch their team via illegal streaming channels? It's just like the kid who can't get a ticket to a big game but manages to sneak in for free!

#6 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

I had this discussion with someone at Sky who was up for a chat instead of trying to be rude or sell me something. They probably thought that I was filling their coffers on a premium rate - but I use a site called www.saynoto0870 where you can generally obtain either a 0800 or a number beginning with 01 for many organisations who want you to generate money for them whilst listening ti endless adverts and menu options.

Anyway, this was 3-4 years ago. I said I wasn't interested in football, only Rugby League of the sports they showed, and I wouldn't watch more than a game or 2 per month of RL, so an further subscription of £20 or so per month was of no interest. i'd be interested in pay per view though - but they said that even for RL Sky would still want £6 to £7 per game on PPV - about the same as a single game of football at the time on PPV.

PPV has to be the future.
I'd be for it as it will suit my lifestyle and will break Sky's stranglehold on sports broadcasting. However, the downside could be that it impact on RL's Tv revenues in an adverse manner.

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Always makes me laugh on here when I see certain people being all concerned about the game but who are stealing from it and its main commercial partner by watching it on illegal streaming sites.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

Like music downloads Derwent, there is an overwhelming temptation to watch sport for nowt rather than pay for it.
We can post judgemental acusation on here, it won't change owt. Pre-emptive action to counter piracy might - like tony says earlier, by the time the music industry got to grips with it it was too late.

#9 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I have SKY in the house in Holland and pay 55 pound a month.

Now this is not legal and I have to go through a third party.

SKY get my full subscription yet what I am doing is no different from watching streaming videos of the games as its not legal to have a SKY subscription outside of the UK and ROI.

They seem to turn a blind eye to this !!!!

I think its something to do with TV rights in each country but I remember not long ago SKY taking a pub land lady to court over the showing of Premier League football via a Greek subscription channel.

How many SKY packages are sold out side the UK and ROI...every Brit bar in every holiday resort in Europe for starters..... yet SKY take the money and say nowt.

GREEDY that's what they are and I fear for Dutch soccer now FOX have bought the viewing rights over here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users