Out of area team entering NWC cup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raider Martin

Raider Martin
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about not allowing out of area clubs into Heartlands cup competitions?

I coach the Telford Raiders U 13's squad. Last year we entered the NWC u12 development cup and won it at Blackpool. This year I asked the committee if we could enter the Nwc cup this year but I didn't receive a reply from committee members. I persisted and asked to enter the Lancs cup. I eventually got a reply saying no we weren't allowed to enter.

How are clubs from outside traditional areas supposed to develop there skills if they can't play against the better players from established clubs.

We have played many teams from both the north west and Yorkshire and have always been well received developing great contacts along the way.

I for one think its a real shame.

Martin

#2 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Doesnt the national cup start at under 14s? As tht wud b the best way to test urself against these teams if ur not allowed in the regional cups.

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Disgraceful - no wonder this sport is on its backside.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#4 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Doesnt the national cup start at under 14s? As tht wud b the best way to test urself against these teams if ur not allowed in the regional cups.

I would think that BARLA would welcome teams from any part of the country in their National competitions as they have done in the past. And maybe if clubs enquired for entry in the BARLA run County competitions then the response would be positive.

Looking back in recent history I seem to remember that Bristol Sonics hosted a Wigan based team in the BARLA ACE Insurance Ltd National Cup not many seasons ago.

#5 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I can understand worries about increasing travel costs for a local competition - maybe outside teams could be invited in on the proviso that they always play away?

Also, some sort of restriction to avoid teams entering more than one major comp eg NWC and Yorkshire.

Bit of a shame to restrict such entries though - development is key surely?
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

To put the record straight the NW Counties are run by three different committess 8-12s ,13-15s and 16-18s.

Last year we the 8-12s welcomed Telford Raiders into our competition with no reservations at all ,and Like Martin  said his lads reached and won our Development cup final playing against Wigan St Cuthberts , Woolston ,West Craven and Ince Rose Bridge  .

Made a lot of friends along the way and for us it gave us the satisfaction of knowing we are playing our part in helping to develop the game outside our normal boundries.

I cant answer for our sister league but its seems a pity that the Raiders can not be accommodated in this years competition .

#7 Raider Martin

Raider Martin
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I can understand worries about increasing travel costs for a local competition - maybe outside teams could be invited in on the proviso that they always play away?Also, some sort of restriction to avoid teams entering more than one major comp eg NWC and Yorkshire.Bit of a shame to restrict such entries though - development is key surely?

Last year we willingly gave up any home advantage and volunteer to play away every round to make life easier for the NWC sides. Every team we came across treated us fantastically well and have since played a few of them at festivals. Many of our squad have also played against and been recognised by NWC lads in the champion schools competition of which two have been invited to train with St Helen's development squad.

Things are looking up for the Midlands

#8 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Well I hope you get an answer or better still inclusion in the 13-15's. Have you offered to do all the travelling this time too? 

It's ridiculous that you have to post on here to get an answer, but I hope that is soon sorted.

All the best with all you're doing in the Midlands

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users