Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Folly Lane Youth Development

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Just seen on Folly's website that they seem to be going from strength to strength on bringing local kids into rugby league. If you know of any youngsters (from age 4) interested in getting involved in our great sport then get them down to Blue Ribbon - the more the merrier!
"Folly Lane Lions will be our youngest under 7's team, which consists of children who shall be in Year 1 or 2 at the start of the school year (but they must be 6 years of age in order to play) that begins in September 2013.

Official fixtures for the team commence in September, but the team are currently arranging tag games against local opposition."

#2 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Its very unfortunate that these worthy efforts by Folly Lane won't now be supplemented by the Lions' 2 community coaches, as I've heard they've been laid off.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes that's correct Phil,Neil and Jenny finished last Friday June 14th.

#4 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

If as speculated Neil and Jenny have been made redundant it certainly is very unfortunate.

The club however can only ever operate within it's financial constraints and sadly on the size of crowds we are getting there will be casualties, it's a pity the RL decided it was the right time to remove funding for these community coaches when they talk openly about expansion  of the game.

#5 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

What I really don't understand is how the club could put out a statement to supposedly kick start a schools project and within weeks lay off the 2 central people.

Why make that sort of statement if there is no money available?

Just further undermines the club's credibility when yet again it hasn't delivered on what its said.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#6 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'd guess that that was the information that the club had at the time Phill, if the funding stops then that's that.

You could contribute by paying to watch the Lions? Or would it take too much effort to de-throne from your high horse?

#7 kingspeedbump

kingspeedbump
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I must admit when I had my initial meeting with Neil and Jenny, my thoughts were to how long their employment with Swinton would last.  Its a real shame as the two were extremely keen on promoting the game as a whole within the area, which should have had a direct impact to our club, Folly Lane.

They had done a great job over in East Lancashire, which had been the period that the RFL had funded them both.  Once the funding had been withdrawn, that was when Swinton became their employers.  I do agree that the club must have known if it was financially feasible to employ them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users