TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Super League Restructure Discussion (Many Merged Threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
730 replies to this topic

#321 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why would any player sign pro with a club who is collapsing financially and refuse to sign for a very rich man whose SL2 club may be going places?

Maybe the player won't be part of the club by the time the rich man's club arrives at those places.

Who knows ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#322 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Who knows ?

Indeed fascinating times ahead......

#323 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

The match proved nothing this time and will prove nothing when London play Eagles.

The idea a Sheffield win at London makes them Superleague material is odd when in the same premise the idea is London aren't super league quality. Better than a basket case is hardly a qualification for turning professional is it?

We have seen some semi pro clubs be promoted and stay the course, these include HKR and Widnes recently.

Did these clubs get promotion and succeed because their semi-pro playing squad simply got too good for semi pro and then went on to be too good for the professionals in the bottom half of Superleague?

Back on topic and in the superleague re-structure the real 8 club Superleague will look after itself.

The "new championship" of the next 8 above the feeder clubs will be fascinating, but in the end the old adage of professional sport will come through. The games will be won and lost in the accountants office, and the accountants will be adding up the SKY subsidy, the level of directors private investment, and the level of paying spectators.

On those "real world" criteria London and Sheffield may both end up big losers and the forthcoming match will prove to have had no meaning whatsoever, as didn't the Fev.v.Cas cup game.

Your view of the game is downright depressing. All sorted out in the accountant's office indeed. IsI the game not a sport at all. ?Does performance on the field count for nothing.?

Are we going to declare the team with the best balance sheet Champions even if they finish bottom? Yes, money and finance are important considerations but the way you go on one would think that the players and the game on the field have no relevance whatsoever and the winning and losing, as the french say," pour La gloire du sport," is totally unimportant.

I have news for you. Spectators come to games to see their team win, not to watch the fat cat bankers or investors present cheques in the directors box so that the team can be the biggest and best corporate entity.

• amh likes this

#324 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

one off games against a weak super league side are hardly a pointer as to how well a championship side would fare in super league, i think there is too massive a gap between the two divisions which is unbridgeable for many teams.

Widnes, a weak team from a small town seem to have managed it OK.

#325 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Your view of the game is downright depressing. All sorted out in the accountant's office indeed. IsI the game not a sport at all. ?Does performance on the field count for nothing.?

Are we going to declare the team with the best balance sheet Champions even if they finish bottom? Yes, money and finance are important considerations but the way you go on one would think that the players and the game on the field have no relevance whatsoever and the winning and losing, as the french say," pour La gloire du sport," is totally unimportant.

I have news for you. Spectators come to games to see their team win, not to watch the fat cat bankers or investors present cheques in the directors box so that the team can be the biggest and best corporate entity.

Ultimately things are decided on the pitch. But you have to have an even competition (or as close as possible given the vagaries of sport) and that means you need clubs with adequate finances in place.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#326 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

not having an accountant, or having one and not listening, is precisely why so many smaller clubs have failed

#327 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Every week, the same number of teams win as those who lose. Not everyone can win and the notion of a competition where only winning matters is a flawed one.

I don't follow the point you make in the second part of your post. Supporters might not come to watch these presentations but they do like them to happen. It gives their team a better chance of winning.

#328 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

not having an accountant, or having one and not listening, is precisely why so many smaller clubs have failed

So, so true.

#329 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

I need to get away from here and back to work for my sanity if nothing else - I'm beginning to think with all the hoo ha, poles apart opinions, utter confusion and mistrust of management, not knowing who's really pulling the strings,  and so on, that I've been transported back in time and am really in Huddersfield for a meeting at The George Hotel.....

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#330 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

John are you really trying to imply only small clubs fail, or am I missing something?

#331 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

So, so true.

At least we know your views are also blinded by misinformation

Edited by Ackroman, 25 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#332 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Why can't sports clubs wishing to play the same sport under a governing body, do exactly that?

Why does there have to be falsely drawn divisions?

False leviathons?

For these very simple reasons I am prepared to engage with any ideas that try and bring the game a bit closer together. 

It is also the very reason why I despair when I read comments that put the failures at the door of "small" clubs, with a hearty back-slap to go with it.

#333 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

At least we know your views are also blinded by misinformation

And how do we know that ?

In what way ?

#334 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Why can't sports clubs wishing to play the same sport under a governing body, do exactly that?

Why does there have to be falsely drawn divisions?

False leviathons?

For these very simple reasons I am prepared to engage with any ideas that try and bring the game a bit closer together. 

It is also the very reason why I despair when I read comments that put the failures at the door of "small" clubs, with a hearty back-slap to go with it.

One big division !!

I like that idea ............

#335 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

One big division !!

I like that idea ............

One sport

#336 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

And how do we know that ?

In what way ?

You endorse the view that failure is something only "small" clubs endure.

#337 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Define "smaller clubs"? Do Bradford fit under this term?

#338 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Every week, the same number of teams win as those who lose. Not everyone can win and the notion of a competition where only winning matters is a flawed one.

I don't follow the point you make in the second part of your post. Supporters might not come to watch these presentations but they do like them to happen. It gives their team a better chance of winning.

Sport is about winning. as Vince Lombardi, coach of a very successful team from a very small market, namely Green Bay Wisconsin, said " Winning is not everything, it's the onl;y thing".

If you dont agree check with the US, Chinese GB and Russian olympic commitees or the New York Yankees baseball team or Man u, Man City, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, the All Blacks, the Kangaroos or even Wigan, Saints and Leeds.

#339 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Ultimately things are decided on the pitch. But you have to have an even competition (or as close as possible given the vagaries of sport) and that means you need clubs with adequate finances in place.

No arguments with that. its the view that finance is the be all and end all and raison d'etre for clubs and that sporting prowess on the field is irrelevant which seems to be popular in some quarters that irks me. maybe i was a bit over the top but the reason we play the game is for the sport of it.

#340 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sport is about winning. as Vince Lombardi, coach of a very successful team from a very small market, namely Green Bay Wisconsin, said " Winning is not everything, it's the only thing".

Vince Lombardi wasn't running the sport as a whole, he was coach of a club.

Did the teams he played in those finals win ? No. So winning's not the only thing, is it ? If there'd been no loser, Vince wouldn't have won. So he was wrong, wasn't he ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users