League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Super League Restructure Discussion (Many Merged Threads)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
730 replies to this topic

#721 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Can we talk about something else yet?

Seriously, I've almost locked this thread on numerous occasions because it is just going round and round in circles with the same people regurgitating the same arguments and no one appears to be in any mood to change their opinion on anything anyway.

What's the point?

The point is, my primary club is stuck in the second division with no meaningful games and no proper promotion.

Thats a pretty serious issue for me.

#722 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

But that's always been the case

#723 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

The point is, my primary club is stuck in the second division with no meaningful games and no proper promotion.

Thats a pretty serious issue for me.

It isn't in the second division
It is in a good position to win the championship so its games are meaningful

The last time your club was promoted it was a disaster

Talk about self pity
The people I respect are the ones who support clubs who have never experienced elite level rugby either ever or not this side of the Second World War and still enjoy their rugby
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#724 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

1. No it isn't it's primarily a sport run like a business. Businesses are run to make profits. Sports clubs are run to win trophies. Licencing does nothing to change this fact other than remove the access to opportunities to win trophies.
2. Correct but this is already happening without P&R. For eg the Burgess brothers moved to Aus well after P&R was scrapped. I think you need to blame the salary cap not P&R.
3. The commercial viability of Super League clubs has already been tested under licencing. It's clear too many aren't viable already.

The crux of your argument is that we ensure that money is ring fenced to prop up failures. There is no logic to that argument.

If a club isn't viable outside SL then in my book it's not a club.

That is a brilliant post

#725 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

It isn't in the second division
It is in a good position to win the championship so its games are meaningful

The last time your club was promoted it was a disaster

Talk about self pity
The people I respect are the ones who support clubs who have never experienced elite level rugby either ever or not this side of the Second World War and still enjoy their rugby

You need to get out more and speak to real fans.

#726 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Said the kettle to the pot

#727 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Congratulations on being elected their representative
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#728 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

As opposed to the unreal fans?

#729 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

That is a brilliant post

The problem with all that is that it is criticising a 14 team Super League with a licensing system. Ideally I would want a 10 team Super League with licensing. As I said before for licensing to work their needs to be more viable clubs than spaces in the competition.

In terms of the Championship it can become a meaningful competition in its own right like the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup in Australia.

Also rugby league is a business. Sky don't dole out cash to the RFL out of the goodness of their own hearts. Super Lague needs to emulate the Amercian example where professional sports teams are expected to make money. If Super League was run along rational business lines like American professional sports the club would be able to attract rational financial investors rather than just benefactors. The club owners would then make money and the players would get paid more.

The hand to mouth existence that promotion and relegation would cause would leave rugby league in England bumping along the bottom.

#730 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Lock it John for God's sake. Ironic that, when it suits, certain people laud the RFL for its innovative ideas and willingness to embrace change and in doing so proceed to castigate those who dare to rebel against. Oh so different now the boot's on the other foot. Hypocrites, the lot of them.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#731 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Please continue the discussion here.

Super League will feature 12 teams from the 2015 season after Rugby League’s elite clubs today agreed to a key change to the structure of their competition.

http://www.totalrl.c...tion-from-2015/

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users