Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mickey Paea to Hull FC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

haha very funny at least we've found a dobbin with a sense of humour well done

You obviously have very limited knowledge of rugby league or are so bitter towards your local rivals that you fail to see the fact that this year he is easily one of the top 5 props in Super League and is getting better every game.

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,568 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

You obviously have very limited knowledge of rugby league or are so bitter towards your local rivals that you fail to see the fact that this year he is easily one of the top 5 props in Super League and is getting better every game.

Agree, can't agree with their view on Paea at all.
Posted Image

#23 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Agree, can't agree with their view on Paea at all.

If FC have offered him a much better deal than Rovers, then I have no problem with him going to FC. Its a short career and these guys need to make the most of it. Just as long as he is honest (unlike SM) and plays well till the end of the season, good luck to him after that.

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hull FC have posted similar losses to HKR although the Rovers BOD do tend to whinge a little more, you cant tell me that having a local rivalry like we do is bad for either club, it can only be good financially

How??

Hull FC were the first Hull club to enter Superleague in 1998, and returned a “crowd” of 5741 that season. Rovers crowd was 2419. The people of Hull clearly prefer top class winning Rugby League.

Hull kicked on with the KC stadium assisting crowd growth, and with any top player home grown or imported to Hull, FC was the exclusive place to be. Things grew and eventually built to a 2005 challenge cup win and a 2006 old Trafford Grand Final appearance to show it was no fluke.

The fans responded the following year. Forgetting the HKR crowds the worst was 12,094 against Fartown and the best 16,291 against Wigan in the grand final play off semi. Forgetting the HKR crowds Hulls league campaign averaged 13,250 fans.

Hull’s fall from grace has seen their crowds drop and even WITH the HKR crowds added Hull returned an average crowd last year of 11,654. I see no evidence therefore that two clubs in Hull and the “derby” boosts the fortunes of these clubs. It is said on this thread that “both clubs” are making similar losses. Is it any wonder then that people like DSK are realising one Superleague club in Hull could probably start going places again.

I think it was when we went to the GB.v.NZ game at the KC that I saw “Neil Hudgell Law” plastered all over the stadium. That was a surprise and I wondered if one day Hudgell may end up on the board at the KC. Had he joined in 2006 instead of trying to recreate the former glories of the clubs 1980-1985 and put his millions in there, then one wonders what Superleague success the city of Hull would have gone on to enjoy today.

There are some basic business principles at play here. Keen competition is ok for the retail consumer, but cuts the shops profits. In sport a monopoly works much better for a club, as we see in Leeds, and I suspect Adam Pearson knows it and is following the principle. He himself said the club would overspend in the short term to go forward in the long term. I suspect Neil Hudgell knows Pearson has no taste for the “Derby” and therefore Hudgell isn’t wasting any more of his money resisting the bigger rivals. If you can’t beat ‘em Neil why not join em?.

The same principle of all succeeding together on historic local rivalries has not worked for the clubs in the Calder area either. (It didn't work for Hull post 1980-85 in the end as neither were strong enough to enter SL in 1996) Had Wakefield not been given a leg back up into SL after going bust we could have been heading for no Superleague club in the strongest area Rugby League has, as Castleford equally flounder.

Here's to one day a Superleague grand final between "A Hull club" and "A Wakefield club"

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Here's to one day a Superleague grand final between "A Hull club" and "A Wakefield club"

Here's to one day a thread staying on topic.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users