Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/06/13 - Catalan Dragons v Hull Kingston Rovers - KO 17:00

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Catalan Dragons (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Basically 15,000 brilliant atmosphere, great game. RFL would be stupid not to let Toulouse into the comp.

#122 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

The Dragons got an absolute shafting from the officials in the first half but managed to get to the break in front. In the second half they were the architects of their own downfall. It was an abysmal performance from them but credit to Rovers for a never say die attitude. 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#123 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thought a couple of tries were chalked off which should've been allowed plus a few calls went against them. Thought Greg Eden looked outstanding for them this evening.

#124 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Basically 15,000 brilliant atmosphere, great game. RFL would be stupid not to let Toulouse into the comp.

18,000 in Barcelona doesn't make them a shoe in.

It was an incredible crowd (although it seemed smaller than that) but how many we're Hull KR or Catalans fans?

They're a shoe in though I suspect.

#125 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thank you Steve Ganson for turning our season around and giving the coach a reason to bring the team together.

#126 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Any bleatings from Hudgell tonight for video referee inquiries?

Any suggestions of a "tragedy" from Sandercock?

Tonight's game evens it up for Rovers in the video ref stakes.

Let's see if there are any outbursts from Les Cats.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#127 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

18,000 in Barcelona doesn't make them a shoe in.

It was an incredible crowd (although it seemed smaller than that) but how many we're Hull KR or Catalans fans?

They're a shoe in though I suspect.

Did Barcelona apply to enter SL? Do Barcelona have a rugby league team? Do Barcelona have a rugby culture or history of any description?

I suspect more neutrals went to the Barcelona game.

#128 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Any bleatings from Hudgell tonight for video referee inquiries?

Any suggestions of a "tragedy" from Sandercock?

Tonight's game evens it up for Rovers in the video ref stakes.

Let's see if there are any outbursts from Les Cats.

Not seen it on TV but had feedback of 2 Cats try's from forward passes so hey ho!

#129 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Not seen it on TV but had feedback of 2 Cats try's from forward passes so hey ho!

There were two in Rovers' last try mate, wearing my black and white glasses, as no doubt your feedback was wearing red and white ones.... :tongue:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#130 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Did Barcelona apply to enter SL? Do Barcelona have a rugby league team? Do Barcelona have a rugby culture or history of any description?

I suspect more neutrals went to the Barcelona game.

My point is that a big crowd doesn't necessarily mean that they are right for Super League. From watching the game it was pretty clear that there was a lot of Catalans fans there and a good amount of Hull KR fans.

London can draw a great crowd when 2 other clubs play there.

Toulouse have yet to suggest to me that they could regularly draw a decent crowd for a team of their own. I remember they drew just over 4000 for a Challenge cup QF against Widnes when Widnes brought a big amount. Catalans in comparison twice drew 8000 crowds for SL opposition in the earlier rounds of the cup pre inclusion.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Toulouse in Super League. This crowd will look good for them and I think they're a shoe in. Whilst hoping they make a huge success of it I'm not convinced they will do.

If they do and they develop a rivalry with Catalans I look forward to them ribbing them for holding their French attendance record.

#131 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Catalan were robbed on two video ref decisions IMO. Not a fan of KR's one-out, boring style of play neither. But it worked.

#132 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hmm.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#133 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Great result for Rovers, on a roll now. Onwards and upwards.

#134 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'll send him a text to ask him, just in case he doesn't read your request until it's too late.

(Although why I should do this for a red and white barsteward, I've no idea... :tongue: )

Just seen your post. Hope you managed to contact him. Your okay coming from the dark side!

#135 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

To xiii ground only 4500 your good call ...tosser amazing crowd genuine rl fans.
Catalans screwed again by officials.

#136 duracell

duracell
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Catalan were robbed on two video ref decisions IMO.

More than 14 000 people have seen how English Ref can be unfair ? It was a shame. In Toulouse, they can see what is the Super league ..... It's a pity when French officials try to promote rugby league : they just promote English "fair play".

Congratulation to hull : A Good game by the rovers and a brillant finish. A rovers fans were like us, happy but a little uncomfortable.

Edited by duracell, 23 June 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#137 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Catalan were robbed on two video ref decisions IMO.

I watched the game in a pub with French commentary so you'll have to excuse me as I wasn't 100% sure on why the two of the tries were disallowed.

The one over on Catalans right wing where the player stepped inside, away from the "obstructed" tackler (the winger Hodgson IIRC), was fine imo, he wouldn't have got to the player anyway.

The other one was Menzies miracle knock back from near the dead ball line, I assume it was disallowed for his foot being on the line but it looked to me like his foot was still in the field of play. Have we done away with the benefit of doubt award because that would have been the case there. I didn't see any angles that suggested his foot was definitely out.

(Apologies if these weren't the reasons for disallowing them!)

#138 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

the two iffy decisions for me were the first hullkr try where two players were fumbling with the ball and the second fumble looks a sure knock on but  the video ref ruled that both fumbles went backwards.

the other was the first of the two tries ruled out for obstruction. first probably should have been given. second was rightfully ruled out.

on the one ruled out where Menzies threw it back i think it was ruled a knock on as Menzies was only able to throw the ball back as it touched the Catalan players leg who was on the ground

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#139 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

the two iffy decisions for me were the first hullkr try where two players were fumbling with the ball and the second fumble looks a sure knock on but  the video ref ruled that both fumbles went backwards.

the other was the first of the two tries ruled out for obstruction. first probably should have been given. second was rightfully ruled out.

on the one ruled out where Menzies threw it back i think it was ruled a knock on as Menzies was only able to throw the ball back as it touched the Catalan players leg who was on the ground

Aye, cheers, I'd forgotten about the Dobson knock on behind the line.

#140 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

The referee signalled it had been disallowed for a shove on the Rovers defender but in any case it would would have been disallowed for the reason you say. The ball clearly touched Blanche's leg when he was over the dead ball line. Shame really because it was a remarkable piece of skill from Menzies.

The video ref decision to rule out the Escaré (I think) try was ridiculous. Dave Hodgson was basically rewarded for making a poor read in defence. Some of the interpretations we're seeing of the obstruction law are just plain daft.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users