Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/06/13 - Catalan Dragons v Hull Kingston Rovers - KO 17:00

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Catalan Dragons (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I watched the game in a pub with French commentary so you'll have to excuse me as I wasn't 100% sure on why the two of the tries were disallowed.

The one over on Catalans right wing where the player stepped inside, away from the "obstructed" tackler (the winger Hodgson IIRC), was fine imo, he wouldn't have got to the player anyway.

The other one was Menzies miracle knock back from near the dead ball line, I assume it was disallowed for his foot being on the line but it looked to me like his foot was still in the field of play. Have we done away with the benefit of doubt award because that would have been the case there. I didn't see any angles that suggested his foot was definitely out.

(Apologies if these weren't the reasons for disallowing them!)

Quite right OF, the two tries were chalked off for those reasons the first was never obstruction as neither player could avoid the accidental collision but what an amazing finish from young Escaré who is getting better with each game, "the french SamTomkins" as one journo called him and the other has to be given as there is no real reason it should have been disallowed, the ref or VR shold be looking for a reason why a try shouldn't be awarded rather than find a reason why it should !

Great entertainment despite the unfair VR decisions, even the HKR fanss would agree with that and some excellent individual performances with Geg Eden looking the class act he is with Dobbo kicking the vital points under extreme pressure from the partisan crowd - too many good HKR performances to trwal through but a special word for Paterson who was immense and Burns whe was a constant thorn in the side. For the Catalans apart from Escaré, MOM Casty was again superb and dangerous every time he had possession and Larroyer looks the real deal. Vaccari, Duport and Simon all worked their socks off (all french players please note !)

outrageous result for the Dragons who deserved better tho' they will be hoping like Mr Hudgell that it all evens out in the end...

#142 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

There were two in Rovers' last try mate, wearing my black and white glasses, as no doubt your feedback was wearing red and white ones.... :tongue:

Burns' pass to Eden in the break that led to Rovers' second try was so far forward it was almost Lovegroveesque.

Anyway, with the black and white specs on it wasn't a bad result for us in terms of the league table.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#143 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Quite right OF, the two tries were chalked off for those reasons the first was never obstruction as neither player could avoid the accidental collision but what an amazing finish from young Escaré who is getting better with each game, "the french SamTomkins" as one journo called him and the other has to be given as there is no real reason it should have been disallowed, the ref or VR shold be looking for a reason why a try shouldn't be awarded rather than find a reason why it should !

Great entertainment despite the unfair VR decisions, even the HKR fanss would agree with that and some excellent individual performances with Geg Eden looking the class act he is with Dobbo kicking the vital points under extreme pressure from the partisan crowd - too many good HKR performances to trwal through but a special word for Paterson who was immense and Burns whe was a constant thorn in the side. For the Catalans apart from Escaré, MOM Casty was again superb and dangerous every time he had possession and Larroyer looks the real deal. Vaccari, Duport and Simon all worked their socks off (all french players please note !)

outrageous result for the Dragons who deserved better tho' they will be hoping like Mr Hudgell that it all evens out in the end...

Casty was outstanding, what a player he is. Hope it works out for him in the NRL, there's no reason why it shouldn't. Escaré is just electric, a great player to watch. Although Vaccari played well I thought he seemed to lack genuine pace a couple of times.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#144 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Cats player loses boot, Rovers player throws it off the pitch.

Travis Burns fails to make sportsman of the year shortlist.

He managed to give Ian Henderson a run for his money in the biggest shithouse on the pitch competition. In itself no mean feat.

#145 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Casty was outstanding, what a player he is. Hope it works out for him in the NRL, there's no reason why it shouldn't. Escaré is just electric, a great player to watch. Although Vaccari played well I thought he seemed to lack genuine pace a couple of times.

agreed, he has lost pace mainly due to a nasty injury a couple of years back, amazing that he's still playing actually but a combination of a shortage of players and a good run in the UTC team last LER season has forced him back in the squad - he's been great this season which has made it difficult for LF to ignore him - right, Casty IS amazing and should do really well in the NRL, don't know where he gets his pace from for such a big lad ?

#146 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

agreed, he has lost pace mainly due to a nasty injury a couple of years back, amazing that he's still playing actually but a combination of a shortage of players and a good run in the UTC team last LER season has forced him back in the squad - he's been great this season which has made it difficult for LF to ignore him - right, Casty IS amazing and should do really well in the NRL, don't know where he gets his pace from for such a big lad ?

I was unaware of that, still a handy player though and I was cheering him all the way down the touchline at the end. At one point I thought he was going to make it but he was up against a quick lad in Eden. It was a great last throw of the dice from Blanche and it would have been an amazing finish if Vaccari had got there.

#147 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Really rate Vaccari, a solid and uncomprimising player who runs the ball hard. He doesn't make mistakes or take wrong options, unlike one or two other of the french catalan players.

#148 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

It was a great last throw of the dice from Blanche and it would have been an amazing finish if Vaccari had got there.

Perhaps just as well for me that it didn't, given the number of Rovers' fans in Cross Keys, most of whom I've never seen before.

I would have struggled to control my laughter so, there might well have been a wild west saloon style rumpus with me leaving through a window...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#149 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

For the second quarter Catalans were in "score at will" mode: very impressive. In the second half I think they got drawn into Hull KR's narrow, energy-conserving game plan. It was a bit like watching a football match in extra time with penalties looming...

#150 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Perhaps just as well for me that it didn't, given the number of Rovers' fans in Cross Keys, most of whom I've never seen before.

I would have struggled to control my laughter so, there might well have been a wild west saloon style rumpus with me leaving through a window...

Indeed, you'd have popped down the road to Endyke in the first place if that's what you were looking for.

#151 duracell

duracell
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

After coming back to my house, i just watched the game one day later.

How the video ref could allowed the fisrt try of hull kr : when one player keeps the ball in front of the player of the same team, it is off side i think. But not for english players.

How the video ref coul disallowed the try of Morgan Escaré ? Could someone explain ?

And if the try of Duport is not good, it was because the ball touched the leg of Blanch (when Menzies tried to save it) but why was signaled a penalty for hull ?

Incredible : but the RFL won't make apologise this time...... Hull KR have their points back

Edited by duracell, 23 June 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#152 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Apparently the Duport try was disallowed because Blanch pushed the Hull KR player out the field of play not because the ball made contact with him,, which I find ridiculous

#153 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

anyone have a link to highlights of this game? Or any links/highlights of this Escare fellow? Thanks

#154 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

How the video ref could allowed the fisrt try of hull kr : when one player keeps the ball in front of the player of the same team, it is off side i think. But not for english players.

Mon ami, vous avez raison sur tout sauf cette partie-ci - on ne peut pas etre off-side derriere sa propre ligne d'essai. Cependant, c'etait un en-avant donc l'essai n'etait quand meme pas valable.

Pour le reste, 100% d'accord - il y avait quelque chose de sinistre dans la performance des arbitres hier.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#155 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Mon ami, vous avez raison sur tout sauf cette partie-ci - on ne peut pas etre off-side derriere sa propre ligne d'essai. Cependant, c'etait un en-avant donc l'essai n'etait quand meme pas valable.

Pour le reste, 100% d'accord - il y avait quelque chose de sinistre dans la performance des arbitres hier.

Quite right, you can't be offside behind your own try line.... B)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#156 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

After coming back to my house, i just watched the game one day later.

How the video ref coul disallowed the try of Morgan Escaré ? Could someone explain ?

And if the try of Duport is not good, it was because the ball touched the leg of Blanch (when Menzies tried to save it) but why was signaled a penalty for hull ?

Incredible : but the RFL won't make apologise this time...... Hull KR have their points back

The Rovers try came from an incident in the in goal area I believe, in the rules of rugby league you cannot be offside in your own in goal area.

#157 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

The Rovers try came from an incident in the in goal area I believe, in the rules of rugby league you cannot be offside in your own in goal area.

He's already been pointed that out.

Pah, if you spoke fluent French like Browny and I, you'd already be aware of this. 

Ahem....

#158 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Sporting Life gave the crowd as 12000. Beaucoup repas pour penser.

#159 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Sporting Life gave the crowd as 12000. Beaucoup repas pour penser.

Help me out here JB. 

#160 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Help me out here JB.

Il dit qu'il y a de quoi etre optimiste pour le rugby a XIII a Toulouse.

The crowd was a bit more than 14,000. Guasch and Mounis are absolutely fuming in the French press.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users