RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

24/06/13 - Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors - KO 19:45 (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington Wolves (16 votes [69.57%])

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

2. Voted Wigan Warriors (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,123 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have been really surprised by Wigan this year, they have quietly gone about their business - maybe because Sky seem obsessed by Leeds this year rather than the League Leaders, but Wigan do have some tough games left.

They have an away game at Warrington, a Saints derby, a battle with Huddersfield and Leeds as well as a trip to Catalan.

In fact they play all of the current top 8 before the season is over.

Agree Dave.... saints and Catalans last two games for us away , makes me feel as we need to concentrate on second spot
If we beat Wigan I then think how many times can we beat them before they get one over us and I worry about it being a big one. ( dare I say it ..... Semi final or final in the cup or the GF )

Wires have been steady , recently on fire, so maybe, just maybe , we've geared our season up for the last 17 or so games

Players returning back to fitness will only increase the intensity levels, they've won trophies and know what's needed in the big games.

It's been a great few years being a wire fan, lets hope it continues.

#22 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Just share some of those good times with us ;)
  • 1976PMJwires likes this

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Just share some of those good times with us ;)

We did, we let you come along to Wembley with us in 2009  :biggrin:

#24 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Typical plastic scousers you are robbed us though ;)

#25 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think we're at a stage where many teams can travel in hope. Most will end up empty handed, but I reckon the key is to enjoy the journey.
The timing of Monday's game is unfortunate in a way, as Wigan could rationally target the quarter/semi final period as being the time we need everyone fully fit and firing, and that we have enough daylight to be ultra cautious next week.
If this was a Cup semi or final or closer to them, we'd really have a game to savour.
  • 1976PMJwires likes this

#26 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Looks like S Wane isn't risking any player who's had a knock and is fielding another young squad.
From what has been said Wigan have only three fit props and no O'Loughlin.
Maybe the squad -
S Tomkins,
Charnley, Goulding, Gelling, Richards,
Powell, Williams,
Lauaki, L Tomkins, Mossop,
Hansen, Farrell,
Burke.
Bench - Crosby, Greenwood, Hughes, Tuson.

The thing is that Wigan play Castleford at home on Friday and it wouldn't surprise me if a number of players return from injury for that one.
As has been said the weekend 2 weeks ago was crucial for Wigan putting them 5 league points ahead of Huddersfield and 7 in front of Warrington.
After the Warrington game the two difficult away games are at St Helens and Catalans, the two awkward ones at home are Leeds and Hudderfield. All winnable.

#27 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,123 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Looks like S Wane isn't risking any player who's had a knock and is fielding another young squad.From what has been said Wigan have only three fit props and no O'Loughlin.Maybe the squad -S Tomkins,Charnley, Goulding, Gelling, Richards,Powell, Williams,Lauaki, L Tomkins, Mossop,Hansen, Farrell,Burke.Bench - Crosby, Greenwood, Hughes, Tuson.The thing is that Wigan play Castleford at home on Friday and it wouldn't surprise me if a number of players return from injury for that one.As has been said the weekend 2 weeks ago was crucial for Wigan putting them 5 league points ahead of Huddersfield and 7 in front of Warrington.After the Warrington game the two difficult away games are at St Helens and Catalans, the two awkward ones at home are Leeds and Hudderfield. All winnable.

If that's your team, Warrington by a big margin

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

If that's your team, Warrington by a big margin

I said the same thing about Leeds when Wigan took a similar team to headingly last year.

#29 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,123 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

I said the same thing about Leeds when Wigan took a similar team to headingly last year.

Let's see what Monday brings.

#30 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

If Wigan win, the LLS is theirs.

If they lose, it's game on.

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Is Ant still trying to gatecrash this LLS party? Huddersfield are getting nowhere near, sorry mate.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Probably not this season, but neither will Wire.

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

No probably not. But we won it before and the joy was short-lived.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#34 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Better a quickie than nothing at all though eh ;)

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Warrington, by 4.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

Wire by 24

#37 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Wire by 24

14/1 available for that. Not much room for error at 21-25 winning margin though.

I shall be staying well clear of a gamble, it's too tough to call.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#38 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

By it's do you mean that Wire's winning margin is too tough to call? 20 points is about par for the course at the HJ. When Wire get more than 3 scores ahead against us, their intensity sometimes dips - plus our boys tend not to throw in  the towel completely.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Wigan squad: Greg Burke, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Liam Farrell, Anthony Gelling, Darrell Goulding, Harrison Hansen, Jack Hughes, Epalahame Lauaki, Rhodri Lloyd, Lee Mossop, Sam Powell, Pat Richards, Matty Smith, Tom Spencer, Sam Tomkins, Logan Tomkins, Chris Tuson, George Williams

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Warrington squad: Ryan Atkins, Lee Briers, Garreth Carvell, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie, Simon Grix, Micky Higham, Chris Hill, Brett Hodgson, Tyrone McCarthy, Joel Monaghan, Michael Monaghan, Adrian Morley, Richie Myler, Stefan Ratchford, Chris Riley, Trent Waterhouse, Ben Westwood, Paul Wood.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users