League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

24/06/13 - Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors - KO 19:45 (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington Wolves (16 votes [69.57%])

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

2. Voted Wigan Warriors (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Great win for Wire in a superb game. Wigan did well to raise the intensity at the start of the second half; only for Warrington to do the same at the end. Higham is in top form at the moment.

Edited by flyingking, 24 June 2013 - 09:06 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#142 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Great game, thought we had a bit of bad luck but raised it at the end to scrape over. I'm sittong here with 2 Greeks, an Austrian, a Belgian, a Pole and a Croat and they have nothing but praise for the skills and speed of both sides.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#143 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Quality game, best I've seen this year including NRL games.
Man of the match for me was Mickey Higham, his running from dummy half is absolute class and changes games.
I don't see what Brett Hodgson offers the side really except a bit of leadership.
Still can't choose between Hill and Mossop they're both quality.
Gelling looked very classy today, I'd have him over Thornley.
Tomkins is just class. Not only was he threatening in attack he lead a fairly inexperienced Wigan side very well today, the majority of the petulance which he developed a season or two ago is vanishing quickly.
Charnley looked very sound defencively aswell as a major threat going forward. Bar some miracle form from Briscoe the 2 jersey for England is his now. I don't think he could of done much for the last try really.
Now that Widdop is looking out I'd have Myler for England, he looked good today and stepped up when Briers went off.
Westwood looked class back to himself. Ball in hand he was excellent today. But I don't see what Morley offers except a bit of a buzz when he comes off the bench, he is strong but lacks too much pace IMO.
The young Wigan pack stood up well today aswell, most of them will have a bright future especially Crosby.
Does worry me a tad that Wire only scraped through against a much weakened Wigan side though. But the intensity of the game was just superb.
On a sad note and I'm not just slating for the sake of it Stevo really has to go. He's holding the sport back severely. He is embarrassing now, I appreciate what he has done for the sport but I get the urge to turn the sound off but the terrific atmosphere at the HJ made me keep it on. I don't think I can take 3 more seasons of it, I actually get frustrated when I listen to him and it takes the enjoyment out of the game.

Totally agree with every word of that.

Imagine trying to put a highlights package together of that game, it would last 80 minutes!

#144 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well done to Wire. I sometimes wonder if we'll ever win at the HJ again. I think our lads gave it their very best, but the opposition were just better than us. Wire have so much talent all across the park, I hope we don't have to go back to their place for a while.

#145 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Great game, thought we had a bit of bad luck but raised it at the end to scrape over. I'm sittong here with 2 Greeks, an Austrian, a Belgian, a Pole and a Croat and they have nothing but praise for the skills and speed of both sides.

Fantastic mate. I bet you loved it and got some funny looks when your head hit the ceiling as Hill went over.

#146 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'm sittong here with 2 Greeks, an Austrian, a Belgian, a Pole and a Croat

I'm sitting here waiting for a punch line.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#147 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

It was superb, relentless stuff. From the opening 5 minutes I thought Wire would win, but if they had played one ounce below their ability they'd have lost.

Cracking stuff and its really going to make the run in very, very exciting!

This truly is The Greatest Game

#148 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I don't see what Brett Hodgson offers the side really except a bit of leadership.

That is a massive quality though.  How much do people who provide that get paid in the business world?

#149 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Leadership, guidance and stability at the back is worth every penny of BH's pay and is perhaps far more valuable that the thrilling attack of Tomkins

#150 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I'm sitting here waiting for a punch line.

He didn't ask for the 12-inch pianist.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#151 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Does worry me a tad that Wire only scraped through against a much weakened Wigan side though.

I think that Wigan have a "house style" that they stick to, then have Sam Tomkins as the maverick. The players are not equal quality but all know their role. In fairness, though it grieves me to say it, Leeds are the same. They can win with teams that look weak on paper.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#152 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Leadership, guidance and stability at the back is worth every penny of BH's pay and is perhaps far more valuable that the thrilling attack of Tomkins

To be fair to Tomkins I reckon he provides a lot of leadership too.  I watched him in a few Wigan games recently and he was bellowing instructions and structuring the attack throughout, that's why he's so good, he makes sure other people give him the opportunity to do so.

#153 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Even though I was calling Tomkins a 'pie-eating, Wigan ***house' my friends here had nothing but respect for his play.

And I'm happy with that, he was superb. If he reproduces that play in England colours no-one will be happier than me.

The moment with Briers in the corner was a testament to both players, and to the game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#154 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Fantastic game to watch. 80 minutes of sheer excitement. 100% commitment from all players on both teams, The game was well refereed and Bentham kept it flowing. Best game of Super League this season so far.

#155 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Got your kicking boots on?

#156 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

The moment with Briers in the corner was a testament to both players, and to the game.

This.

#157 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Top game from both sides, could've gone either way and think the score flattered Wire in the end. Not too disappointed as it was a positive hit out with the young forwards really giving it a go against experienced opponents who won't be too far away in either competition.

#158 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

How many repeat sets did Wigan have?

When we managed to actually grab hold of the ball instead of charging down every kick we made yards.

Higham was good, but Westwood was my MOM, 80 mins up against Farrell and he didn't take a backward step.

Stevo is an oaf.

Myler is turning into a hell of a player.

Winning a close game is infinitely better than flogging someone by 50.

10 team superleague.

#159 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Farrell is nothing if not brave.

#160 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

I think that Wigan have a "house style" that they stick to, then have Sam Tomkins as the maverick. The players are not equal quality but all know their role. In fairness, though it grieves me to say it, Leeds are the same. They can win with teams that look weak on paper.

I think you are absolutely spot on with this point. They don't particularly have stars as such (outside of the obvious ones like Tomkins and Charnley) - they have a great team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users