TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

24/06/13 - Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors - KO 19:45 (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington Wolves (16 votes [69.57%])

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

2. Voted Wigan Warriors (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

In games like this I'd love to see some more stats  on the plays. 

The yardage was crucial there. In the arm wrestle I thought we were excellent - Hill was making yards for fun, Westwood made great metres, Higham was dangerous all game.

Warrington gave so many repeat sets, to hold out Wigan was an outstanding effort, especially as I thought Wigan's link play was brilliant.

I think it was a genuinely brilliant battle, credit to both teams, RL at its bets.

#162 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Breathless after that. Magic!

#163 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Quality game, best I've seen this year including NRL games.

Man of the match for me was Mickey Higham, his running from dummy half is absolute class and changes games.

I don't see what Brett Hodgson offers the side really except a bit of leadership.

Still can't choose between Hill and Mossop they're both quality.

Gelling looked very classy today, I'd have him over Thornley.

Tomkins is just class. Not only was he threatening in attack he lead a fairly inexperienced Wigan side very well today, the majority of the petulance which he developed a season or two ago is vanishing quickly.

Charnley looked very sound defencively aswell as a major threat going forward. Bar some miracle form from Briscoe the 2 jersey for England is his now. I don't think he could of done much for the last try really.

Now that Widdop is looking out I'd have Myler for England, he looked good today and stepped up when Briers went off.

Westwood looked class back to himself. Ball in hand he was excellent today. But I don't see what Morley offers except a bit of a buzz when he comes off the bench, he is strong but lacks too much pace IMO.

The young Wigan pack stood up well today aswell, most of them will have a bright future especially Crosby.

Does worry me a tad that Wire only scraped through against a much weakened Wigan side though. But the intensity of the game was just superb.

On a sad note and I'm not just slating for the sake of it Stevo really has to go. He's holding the sport back severely. He is embarrassing now, I appreciate what he has done for the sport but I get the urge to turn the sound off but the terrific atmosphere at the HJ made me keep it on. I don't think I can take 3 more seasons of it, I actually get frustrated when I listen to him and it takes the enjoyment out of the game.

+1

#164 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

This game had everything that made this southerner fall in love with the Greatest Game 25 years ago.

No other sport comes close!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#165 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Firstly - fantastic game. Easily the best game of RL I've seen this year. Hopefully we'll see a few more like that now we're approaching the back end of the season.

On a sad note and I'm not just slating for the sake of it Stevo really has to go. He's holding the sport back severely. He is embarrassing now, I appreciate what he has done for the sport but I get the urge to turn the sound off but the terrific atmosphere at the HJ made me keep it on. I don't think I can take 3 more seasons of it, I actually get frustrated when I listen to him and it takes the enjoyment out of the game.

Can you explain how Stevo is 'holding the sport back severely'? I know he gets annoying, but holding the sport back? I seriously thought some of Paul Cullen's ridiculously one sided comments were far worse than what Stevo came out with tonight.

#166 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Cracking entertainment.

#167 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

I managed to get an English pub in Copenhagen (The English Pub to be precise... which even had an aussie barman for authenticity) to put the game one instead of the tennis. Quite a few people ended up watching it with me and some pretty Danish girls were asking me the rules (better not mention that to the mrs when I get home!)

What a match! I don't mind losing in that type of game. Credit to both teams.

#168 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Who were the 9 players Wigan were missing?

#169 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Obviously Green, McIlorum and Lockers

Followed notably by Lauaki, Taylor, Thornley, Prescott, Dudson, Flower

#170 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Who were the 9 players Wigan were missing?

O'Loughlin, McIlorum, Green, Thornley, Taylor, Lauaki, Prescott, Dudson and Flower would be my guess. Of those only Prescott hasn't been a regular first teamer this season, due to injury. It's a credit to Wigan's squad and policy of giving youngsters a chance that they still managed to field a very competitive team.

Edited by giwildgo, 25 June 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#171 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

What a marvellous game, respect to all players who showed our game has it all, passion , pride and desire..... But more important to me,the unbelievable sportsmanship from every season player.

Briers and Tomkins was great TV.

Wigan has a game plan and stick to it, wires try to push it around the park at any cost and chase everything down ( I so wish we didn't go for charge down on last play kicks)

Great game, not bothered about the commentary as last night match was as good as it gets !!

All we need is a bloooooody sponsorship deal!!

Ps respect to the Wigan fans posting on this thread.

#172 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Absolutely superb game. We have been treated to 2 x cracking matches this weekend over SKY. Last night though was a massive step up. All credit to Wigan who were mightly impressive despite missing so many players. Well done Warrington. I tend to agree with barrowraiderskid's comments.

Last night also saw the complete conversion of my RU-loving girlfriend to a RL-loving girlfriend. She thinks the game is superb and can't wait to attend some of the World Cup matches.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#173 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Briers and Tomkins was great TV.

100% agree! Briers and Tomkins are both showmen of the highest quality, and when Briers retires (probably not for few years yet I'd imagine he still has lots to offer) and Tomkins goes to the NRL, the game will be poorer for it.

Also that was worth the comic looking equipment on the refs head alone.

#174 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,526 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

i have to question the rfl for not finding a sponsor for this competition, it is they who have sh it for brains!

You are trying to tell me they have turned down serious money for sponsorship of SL? And i dont mean a derisory insult. Take off your blinkers for a minute and consider that the people with ponytails in offices (all ad men look like this) have got it wrong this time. Maybe the RFL actually value their incredible game?

#175 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

What a great game! Very difficult to be too disappointed at the loss after having the privilege of watching such an entertaining game. Thought both sides played the game in the true spirit of rugby league, hard but fair. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#176 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Reading through this thread sounds like an excellent game. Is one reason for it that a lot of players had a break last week and the extra mid season rest has recharged a few tired batteries???

#177 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Best game of rugby league I've watched in years, and I'm a Wigan fan.

Some exceptional efforts last night - my moment of the match, as a prop myself, was Dom Crosby's burst up the middle.  Great acceleration and I thought he might swot Ratchford and go all the way.

I have to say Stevo did do my nut in a bit, although I tend not to get too carried away about it.

#178 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,526 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Lots of comments on twitter about Stevo shouting. Along with Joey Barton 'best sport on tv bar none'

#179 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Proof,if needed,that Rugby League is indeed The Greatest Game.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#180 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

O'Loughlin, McIlorum, Green, Thornley, Taylor, Lauaki, Prescott, Dudson and Flower would be my guess. Of those only Prescott hasn't been a regular first teamer this season, due to injury. It's a credit to Wigan's squad and policy of giving youngsters a chance that they still managed to field a very competitive team.

It's also a credit to their disciplined structure, that they can swap an injured first-teamer for a far less experienced player and not create too much of a problem. Wane has not dropped the Maguire baton.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users