41 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,746 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Discuss this week's games here.

THURSDAY 20 JUNE
Batley Bulldogs v Sheffield Eagles    19:30 (Premier Sports)

SUNDAY 23 JUNE
Whitehaven v Workington Town    12:00
Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers    15:00
Dewsbury Rams v Halifax    15:00
Hunslet Hawks v Swinton Lions    15:00
Keighley Cougars v Doncaster    15:00
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

PREVIEW

Batley Bulldogs v Sheffield Eagles (7.30pm, Premier Sports)

Both teams are at near full strength as table-topping Sheffield Eagles travel to third placed Batley Bulldogs on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs – who have won their last six games – are just missing virus victim Johnny Campbell against an Eagles team that has won 12 on the trot.
Batley coach John Kear said: “It’s two teams in good nick, and is a very important match for both.
“Sheffield have been outstanding this year – they are the club of the decade for me. I have nothing but admiration for what they’ve done there.”
Kear has Huddersfield Giants dual registration players Jacob Fairbank and Josh Johnson available.
Sheffield coach Mark Aston has no injuries at all for what he says is a “massive game” for both clubs.
Colton Roche and Alex Szostak are available again, and Menzie Yere and Quentin Laulu-Togagae having come through fitness tests.
Aston said: “It’s a massive game – we’re three points above them and can put a bit of breathing space between us if we win.
“If they beat us they could be level and move above us.
“We need to be a little bit smarter than we were against Dewsbury last week and in particularly we need to play for the full 80 minutes.
“But you also have to play really smart when you go to Batley and we’ll be talking about that.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

wonder if featherstone declare at half time to give barrow a chance.....fev by 60.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#4 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

THURSDAY 20 JUNE

Batley Bulldogs v Sheffield Eagles    19:30 (Premier Sports)

Fancy Batley with home advantage. Usually pretty strong at home and I think Sheffield may have half an eye on the upcoming Challenge Cup game.

SUNDAY 23 JUNE

Will be a very close game, will be great to watch. Whitehaven solid well and well coached. Workington have better players but don't seem to be as efficient and clinical as Haven. Workington have had the better of Haven over the last couple of seasons. It'll likelybe a win for any side less than a try either side.

Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers    15:00

Barrow did well in their last home game narrowly losing to Sheffield, were also a whisker of beating of winning away at Dewsbury. Featherstone now without Daryl Powell and slipped up at home against Doncaster last league game. Basic knowledge of rugby league and recent results will tell you that this will be closer than the league table suggests. I will guess Featherstone to win by ten. Barrow may be missing Harrison which could be the difference between the two sides. 

Dewsbury Rams v Halifax    15:00

I fancy an away win for this one. If Dewsbury play well I think they'll lose narrowly and will get a bonus point.

Hunslet Hawks v Swinton Lions    15:00

A repeat of last seasons grand final. Surprised this one isn't on a tele. Joking a side, a comfortable Hunslet win. Swinton just don't look like a team.

Keighley Cougars v Doncaster    15:00

Donacaster seem to be one form at the minute.I think they'll knick a close game. Keighly to get a bonus point.

Leigh Centurions v York City Knights    15:00

Leigh by 26. Will be to strong fo York I'd imagine.

#5 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

wonder if featherstone declare at half time to give barrow a chance.....fev by 60.

Doubt it, the way we've played lately

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Troll.

#7 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Tonight's TV game has the potential to be an absolute belter.

#8 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

PREVIEWS

Sunday June 23

Whitehaven v Workington Town (12.00)

Whitehaven coach Dave Woods will not focus on his side’s lengthy losing run against Workington Town when the Cumbrian rivals meet on Sunday.
Town have won the last seven meetings between the clubs, including two clashes already this season.
But Woods said: “These things come in a roundabout way, and it’s only a couple of years ago that Whitehaven were winning plenty of games in a row.
“They have been playing some great footy and winning games, and have had the edge over us.
“But we’re at home and need a win to keep pushing up the table.”
Woods will check on hamstring injuries to Jamie Rooney, James Cameron and Dan Fleming late in the week, but Matty Palmer is definitely out with ankle ligament damage.
Workington are almost at full strength, with Jarrad Stack, Karl Olstrum and Jordan Walne all expected to return, leaving only long-term absentee Dan Rooney on the sidelines.
Joint coach Gary Charlton said: “Just because we’ve won the last seven against them doesn’t mean we can’t put the right effort in to get the win.
“It’s a big boost for us having those three players back, and they will stiffen us up and give us some good forward.”

Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers (3.00pm)

Barrow Raiders are set to welcome back loose forward Dan Toal for the visit of Featherstone Rovers.
Toal missed the recent defeat at Dewsbury Rams after limping out of their game with Sheffield Eagles with a knee complaint.
However a blank weekend has allowed the back rower enough time to recover.
Coach Darren Holt is also hoping that is the case for ankle injury victims Liam Harrison and Sean Casey, who he will run checks on just prior to the game.
Featherstone will be boosted by the return of Jon Hepworth from a hand injury, but prop Anthony England may be out for the rest of the season.
England needs an operation on his shoulder that will require two to three months’ rehabilitation.
“It could be the season for him and that’s a big blow,” coach Ryan Sheridan said.
“It will be a tough challenge for us at Barrow – they’ve been staying in games and not losing by much.”
Second row Tim Spears is rated as “50/50” with a medial ligament problem.

Dewsbury Rams v Halifax (3.00pm)

Dewsbury Rams welcome back experienced second row Rob Spicer as they look to repeat their Northern Rail Cup win over Halifax.
Glenn Morrison’s side produced one of their best performances of the season to knock Halifax out of the NRC, and the Australian coach is looking for a repeat.
He said: “We had a good win against them in the cup, and I’m sure they will remember that and come here wanting to take the points off us.
“But it’s a big game for us and we want to get some points and kick on.
“I was really proud of the boys’ effort at Sheffield last week and I thought we deserved to get the result.
“But a few things didn’t go our way and they scored a couple of late tries from kicks to finish us off.”
Spicer has been back in training after deciding to delay an operation on his ankle.
Halifax coach Karl Harrison could have two key forwards back from lengthy injuries.
Luke Adamson and Adam Robinson are both poised for returns at the Tetley’s Stadium.
Adamson has been missing for a month with a broken hand, while Robinson has been out for twice as long after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Hunslet Hawks v Swinton Lions (3.00pm)

Hunslet Hawks coach Barry Eaton will give late fitness tests to halfback duo Luke Helliwell and Danny Grimshaw ahead of their meeting with Swinton Lions.
Grimshaw has been missing with ankle ligament damage and Helliwell a hamstring complaint.
Eaton hopes that at least one player comes through to partner recent signing James Coyle at halfback, but describes both as having an “outside chance” at present.
Eaton added: “Swinton are a team that can play some really good stuff – every time I’ve seen them and looked at their games, they’ve been a real threat with the ball in their hands.
“We have to stifle that and defend whatever they throw at us.”
David Clayton and Scott Watson are both available again after returning to full training.
Swinton have suffered a significant blow with the loss of fullback Richie Hawkyard for two weeks with a shoulder injury.
Jack Morrison is out with a broken hand, Matt Sarsfield is rated at 50/50 after rolling his ankle in training, and Jack Cooper is still “very doubtful” with a bruised hip.
On the plus side, Warrington Wolves dual registration players Tyrone McCarthy and James Laithwaite are both set to return, and James Mendeika could also be back from a loan spell at London Broncos.
“We’ve got to chop and change a bit again which isn’t ideal,” coach Gary Chambers said.
“Hunslet are a very big side, probably the biggest we’ve played, and it will be a physical, tough game for us on that field.
“They will have plenty of power down the middle and we have to defend better than we have done.”

Keighley Cougars v Doncaster (3.00pm)

Keighley Cougars player coach Paul March wants a big response from his side following their last defeat to York City Knights.
March has a near fully fit squad to choose from and wants to see a different Cougars side against in-form Doncaster.
He said: “The York defeat was our worst performance of the year – we’ve had two weeks to build up to this game and hopefully there will a positive response.
“We watched Doncaster play Swinton last Thursday after training, and they’re playing very well.
“But when we went there earlier this year we put them under pressure for 20 minutes, and we’ll be looking to do that for the whole game this week to see what their reaction is.”
March will check on fullback Craig Moss in the under-20s on Thursday night, while winger Richie Barnett will return to training from his broken leg next week.
Doncaster coach Tony Miller is expecting a Cougars backlash.
He said: “I know they had a bit of a touch up from their chairman regarding the performance at York, and Keighley are always pretty good at home.
“I’m expecting a real tough game that will go down to the wire.
“If we can get a win it will give us a bit of breathing space above Keighley, whereas if they win we’ll be right back in the mix – it’s a massive game for both clubs.”
Winger Dennis Tuffour is struggling to be fit due to a hamstring injury.

Leigh Centurions v York City Knights (3.00pm)

Leigh Centurions remain without a quartet of key players for their home game with York City Knights.
Martyn Ridyard, Ryan Brierley, Martin Aspinwall and Rob Parker are all out, but Paul Rowley’s side still managed to beat Whitehaven in the Northern Rail Cup last weekend.
Rowley said: “We found a way to win.
“We gave them far too much possession in the first half, but we toughed it out and knew that if we sorted our ball control out we’d be okay.”
Recent signing Mick Govin and centre Adam Higson could both come into contention depending on their performances in Thursday night’s under-20s game at Keighley.
York will be without the suspended Simon Brown and Hull FC dual registration duo Dean Hadley and Liam Kent, both who picked up knocks in the win over Keighley.
But experienced centre James Ford is back from his troublesome groin complaint.
Coach Gary Thornton said: “When we played Leigh at home this year I thought they were the best team we’ve played this season – I was very impressed with them.
“But we go there confident because we have turned things around since we last played them and picked up two very good wins recently.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

SUNDAY 23 JUNE

Will be a very close game, will be great to watch. Whitehaven solid well and well coached. Workington have better players but don't seem to be as efficient and clinical as Haven. Workington have had the better of Haven over the last couple of seasons. It'll likelybe a win for any side less than a try either side.

How do you reach those conclusions barrowraiderskid?    How many times have you seen each team this season?   You couldn't be further from the form than you are with that summary.    Town have been efficient and clinical the last 7 times these two teams have met when Haven weren't at all solid or well coached!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

How do you reach those conclusions barrowraiderskid?    How many times have you seen each team this season?   You couldn't be further from the form than you are with that summary.    Town have been efficient and clinical the last 7 times these two teams have met when Haven weren't at all solid or well coached!!!!!

So he isn't allowed to share his opinion then?

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

How do you reach those conclusions barrowraiderskid? How many times have you seen each side this season? You couldn't be further from the form than you are with that summary. Town have been efficient and clinical the last 7 times these two teams have met when Haven weren't at all solid or well coached!!!!!

Watch the majority of the games on premier sports and when Barrow play them. If I have time I watch match highlights from each game if I can find them. Also read the reports in league express every week although they can't give you to much as they are someone else's views. I still don't see what you disagree with?

Will it be close? I said yes do you disagree?
I think Workington have better players than Whitehaven, with the likes of the Philips Brothers ect I think they have a stronger side than Haven. Workington have played Haven 3 times since Dave Woods took over, one was 4 days after he took over so I'm discarding that. You beat them by 12 points at home and beat them by 4 points last game, so close encounters. Haven were shockingly coached in CC1, they shouldn't of lost alot of the games they did, but since Woods took over they have improved. Hence the closer games between yourselves and them and they have been getting the better of us recently.

Where do you disagree please tell me. I only really made 3 points due to only watching the sides briefly and the ocassional full game, but where am I wrong?

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Yes, of course it's going to be a close match, I totally agree because the two sides are very very similar that is why I don't understand how you can say, based on very little evidence, that one club is solid and well coached whilst the other is less efficient or clinical!!!    Each team has player Barrow and Town have been on Premier Sports once this year.   There are very little if any highlights from Town's matches or for that matter Havens matches.  

Of course you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to disagree with yours.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Should be a good game this one.

#14 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

would be if i could get a picture looks like prem sports have ######ed up again

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Not Premier Sports' fault.  They pay another company to broadcast the programme and clearly they haven't got their aerial in the right spot!

This never happened with analogue!

#16 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Not just me then

Grrrrrrrr

#17 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

mine got no picture either

#18 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Back on now just as Batley score 6-4

Missed about 10 mins of the game mind

hope this doesnt happen at the RLWC

Edited by shun, 20 June 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#19 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Flicking between Premier Player on my laptop and the TV that has just come back on. Laptop is 20 seconds behind!!

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

For info, should the picture go again, apparently their online site had a superb picture throughout the drop out on TV so that maybe worth bearing in mind!

Will go back to the TV now and see if the picture is back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users