Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/06/13 - Kingstone Press Championship One Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Discuss this week's games here.

SUNDAY 23 JUNE
Gloucestershire All Golds v North Wales Crusaders    15:00
London Skolars v Rochdale Hornets    15:00
Oldham v Hemel Stags    15:00
South Wales Scorpions v Oxford    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Some good balanced games coming up. B)

#3 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Crusaders will be back to their  winning mentality and I expect a reaction to last weeks loss with a big win against GAG. Cru win by >30 points

Skolars v Hornets will be a closely fought game. Skolars win but a bonus point for Hornets

Oldhams home advantage will edge a win against Stags who will be riding high after lasts weeks win. Oldham win, bp for Stags.

Another close game with both sides trading scores. Oxford win, bp for Scorpions.

#4 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Just hope that if South Wales are playing any debutants that they give Oxford a full video analysis. Otherwise they'll be complaining again. :girlwah:

#5 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hemel looking a bit unprofessional with their U20's fixture being called off because they can't raise a team

http://www.roughyeds...r-20s-game-off/

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#6 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

PREVIEWS

Gloucestershire All Golds v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

North Wales Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths wants to see a response from his side’s first defeat of the season at Hemel Stags last weekend.
Griffiths saw his table-topping side slip to an 18-10 defeat and is looking for them to bounce straight back at Gloucestershire All Golds.
Griffiths said: “We’re a bit wounded from last week – I don’t think we’d have scored again if we were still playing now.
“It was a day that we didn’t want to happen, but one that had to happen at some point, and if it motivates us to better things then it will have been a worthwhile exercise.
“I’m looking for a massive reaction.
“We know Gloucestershire have recruited some good players from the Scorpions and we won’t be taking them lightly.”
Griffiths’ only absentee is winger Lewys Weaver, who is set for an extended spell on the sidelines with appendicitis.
All Gold coach Brad Hepi is looking for his side to continue their recent improvement, despite their 38-22 loss at London Skolars on Sunday.
Hepi said: “We performed for 60 minutes (against Skolars), last weekend it was 40, so it was an improvement.
“It was a real arm wrestle in the middle 60.”

London Skolars v Rochdale Hornets (3.00pm)

London Skolars are hoping it will be third time lucky when they entertain Rochdale Hornets on Sunday.
Skolars have lost their two trips to Spotland this season, but hope to cause an upset at New River Stadium.
Coach Joe Mbu said: “We’ve played them twice so far, and they had a few changes in personnel between those games.
“I’m expecting the same Rochdale that we usually see – a good, strong, powerful team.
“I’m sure they will fancy coming here and getting a win off us.”
Mbu’s only injury absentee is Jack Dillon, who could miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.
Rochdale moved up to second with Sunday’s 46-4 win at Gateshead Thunder and coach Ian Talbot is looking for them to continue their recent good form.
He said: “It was a great performance, especially defensively.
“When Skolars came up to our for the league game it was ######-for-tat for long periods.
“I’ve spoken about it before – the quality in London is improving year on year, and it won’t be easy on that tight pitch there.”
Talbot will check on Dayne Donoghue (knee) and Jordan Case (throat infection), while long-term absentees Alex McClurg and Alex Trumper remain sidelined.

Oldham v Hemel Stags (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags coach Troy Perkins wants his side to follow up their shock win over leaders North Wales Crusaders when they travel to Oldham.
The Stags inflicted Crusaders’ first defeat of the season last weekend, and Perkins wants more of the same.
He said: “Off the back of a really good result, we’ll go into the Oldham game full of confidence.
“But we know we need to be at our best to get a result at Oldham.
“They’ve got a big forward pack and like to play off the back of good rolls.
“We need to match them up front, because we were probably second best against them in the pack last time, and they got the result off the back of that.”
Perkins expects to field a similar side to the one that beat North Wales, with Chad Sharp still sidelined with a niggling ankle injury.
Oldham are hoping that winger Mo Agoro will be fit to return.
Agoro has missed the last two matches with an ankle injury, and will have a late fitness test.
Coach Scott Naylor will also check on fellow three-quarter Dan Brotherton, who also has an ankle injury at present.

South Wales Scorpions v Oxford (3.00pm)

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark believes the home game with Oxford is a huge game for both sides.
Clark said: “It’ll be a bit like a Grand Final atmosphere on Sunday.
“We both will want to win this to advance up the table and we need to starting taking points off the team above us.
“Our loss last week to Oldham and North Wales Crusaders’ defeat at Hemel just shows that anyone can be beaten on the day.
“I felt we were the better side last week as we let the game slip away, and we want to bounce back.”
Scorpions have Courtney Davies back in contention after recovering from injury but Gerwyn Price is unavailable, as are Wales Student international trio Osian Phillips, Mike Connor and Harrison Elliot, who go into training for the forthcoming Student World Cup.
Clark is also hoping to complete a new signing of a forward by the weekend.
Oxford coach Tony Benson will check on a host of injuries sustained in the defeat to Rochdale two weeks ago, including winger Lucas Onyango.
Oxford had been in control of that match before conceding 30 unanswered points in the final 24 minutes, and Benson is looking for more consistency from his side.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't think Lewys Weaver would have been playing for North Wales Crusaders this week anyway as he would have ben in the Wales Students side and would have been with the rest of the Wales Students squad preparing for the Festival of World Cups.  You feel for him getting appendicitis when he could have been playing in the World Cup for his country.

#8 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Come on Oldham

#9 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Come on Hemel ;-)
Shame I can't make it up there but might get to console myself with Skolars v Hornets.Love this division!

#10 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

That won't be a consolation game.

Every match I've seen at Skols this year has been a belter and this has all the makings of another close struggle,

Skolars is really beginning to come alive as a club now. Not just 'friends and family' with a few die hards watching, but a significant number of fans and  they have a tidy little ground. I really feel the project is finially getting some wind in its sails (excuse jumping sports for the analogy).

I love going down there now, and really am looking forward to Sunday.

I feared the worst for this division before the season, but, agreeing with Mr. Stork above, its superb.

#11 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

I am hoping for a Skolars win too, but only to put a bit more distance between Crusaders and Hornets in the league.  Agree that Skolars is a good place to visit and I am looking forward to our trip to London on August Bank Holiday weekend with our Skolars clash on the Friday night followed by the beer festival and the small matter of the Challenge Cup on Saturday.

#12 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

yep, Skolars is a great visit and a fantastic club. They put the other team in London to shame in so many ways. Just wish they didnt have the athletics track. Doubt I'm going to make it tomorrow now (booo!) but am nailed on for the NR Bowl in Halifax, hopefully I'm not sat next to the loudest man in the world - great supporter but bad for your eardrums if in close proximity!

#13 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

If you are worried about your eardrums keep well away from the Cru Massive in Halifax!!

#14 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm sure the Skolars tryfest will keep you lot quiet ;-)

#15 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Looking forward to a cracker (hopefully) at New River today.

#16 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Skolars 16-10 Hornets at HT
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#17 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Great performance from Skolars. They seem to be getting up some momentum now. And I won the raffle!

#18 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well done Skolars!!  And Crusaders back to winning ways although the All Golds were not far off the mark for over 50 minutes. Thanks to  the All Golds for hosting us but you need to buy some draught beer when Crusaders fans visit.

#19 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

I remember the bar at All Golds - best executive box ever if it's cold outside btw - having Guinness pumps but serving the bloke next to me from a can. Early days though and I guess students are used to slugging back canned beer

#20 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Great performance from Skolars. They seem to be getting up some momentum now. And I won the raffle!

Hornets Fan Blog match report here http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users