Greatest Club Team you have seen.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,051 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

You can get the whole of the 1989 WCC match on YouTube. Here's the line-up - some superb players there. That Widnes team was great to watch.

1. Alan Tait
2. Andy Currier
3. Jonathan Davies
4. Darren Wright
5. Martin Offiah
6. Tony Myler
7. David Hulme
8. Joe Grima
9. Phil McKenzie
10. Derek Pyke
11. Kurt Sorensen
12. Paul Hulme
13. Richie Eyres

14. Barry Dowd
15. Paul Moriarty
16. Brimah Kebbie
17. David Smith

I always thought that had they played Wigan at Wembley in 1989 they'd have won, but they had a player sent off in the semi at Central Park v Saints and didn't get there.  The offending tackle was inoccuous, would have incurred a penalty and nothing more today.  Make you wonder what some refs were thinking about.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#42 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm torn on this one, grew up or should that be spewed up on a wonderful era of Wigan, beating manly and Brisbane in the WCC and dominating our game for many years.... They were very special.... But for some reason and this really really hurts me, the saints of the early 2000 was just simply wonderful, great tries on many many occasions... Bulls and rhinos have been good, great players and some wonderful years.... But it's just saints for me, just because of the strike power and great tries scored

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

St Helens, when Tommy Martyn and Sean Long were at the peak of their powers as a duo. That was usually very watchable indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users