RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA Great Britain Emerging Young Lions tour (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

UKRAINE 26  -  BARLA YOUNG LIONS 22

The Arsenal Stadium,  Kharkov

The BARLA Young Lions fell to a four point loss after the Ukraine side had twice comeback from a twelve and six point deficit. The Under 19 side put in a great performance against a good Ukraine team that was older 25 to 26 yrs old, bigger, stronger and more physically developed than the BARLA youngsters.

It was rather sad that after continued requests that Ukraine did not furnish their team details to assist in putting their players on the international stage as to who scored their points or a respective man of the match from them. Worthy of note to the RIEF.

Whilst the Ukrainian’s were singing and dancing at the final whistle it was tears for the Young Lions who knew that they had let this one slip away.

The BARLA cause wasn’t helped by two disallowed tries from the Ukraine officials for dubious forward passes, especially when the approach play that carved out the openings was swift, decisive and spectacular and had the coaches Mark Robb and Alan Coleman purring at the execution and precision passing.

Ukraine got off to the best possible start when they went into a 4-0 lead following a try on four minutes.

This knocked BARLA off their stride but they came back and took the game by the scruff of the neck scoring two converted tries in seven minutes. On 11 minutes Ryan Watson (Kells) scored the first of his treble and on 18 minutes Watson doubled his try tally and Tom Worthington (Leigh East) kicked both goals.

Both packs then got in to each other with some big hits Perry Singleton (Barrow Island) to the fore for BARLA and four minutes from the break Watson completed his hat-trick and the visitors appeared to be in control.

But in injury time in the first half Ukraine cut the lead to six points with a converted try and four minutes into the second half their comeback was complete with their second converted try to level the game up at 16 all.

From the restart though BARLA got the ball back and on 46 minutes second row forward Leon Crellin (Egremont Rangers) bulldozed is way over and Worthington added the extras and BARLA led 22-16.

The Ukraine wouldn’t lie down though and hit back five minutes later with another six pointer to once again level the game up.

Both sides slogged it up the middle but the pressure told on BARLA when Ukraine scored the decisive try on 67 minutes.

BARLA tried to comeback to at least gain equal parity but had two scores dubiously chalked off and the final whistle saw jubilation from the Ukraine side and supporters. For the BARLA Young Lions it was a painful lesson for them to take on their learning curve and future international pathway careers.

Following the end of the tour the BARLA Young Lions Management and Coaching Staff awarded the Player of the Tour to two players Ryan Watson (Kells) and Dougie Foster (Dewsbury Celtic).

BARLA YOUNG LIONS: 1.Tom Worthington (Leigh East), 2.Ben Garner (Barrow Island), 3.Dougie Foster ( Dewsbury Celtic), 4.Ryan Watson (Kells), 5.Ryan Barnes (Egremont Rangers), 6.Tom Rigby (Thatto Heath Crusaders), 7.Joe Higham (Wigan St Patricks), 8.Tom Hall (Elland), 9.Nathan Luckock (Glasson Rangers), 10.Gary Tierney (Glasson Rangers), 11.Ian Curnow (Wath Brow Hornets), 12.Leaon Crelin (Egremont Rangers), 13.Perry Singleton (Barrow Island), 14.Dylan Wilding (Wigan St Judes), 15.Matt Holmes (Walney Central), 16.Tom Ripley (Shaw Cross Sharks), 17.Brad Smith (Kells), 18.Jorge Fairbank (Elland), 19.Arnold Mawere (Eastmoor Dragons), 20.Luke Barrett (Wigan St Judes), 21.Troy Anderson (Shaw Cross Sharks), 22.Casey Johnson (Westgate Redoubt), 23.Connor Johnson (Leigh East).

Tries: Watson 3, Crellin

Goals: Worthington 3

Half Time: 10-16

BARLA Men of the Match: Best Attacker Ryan Watson, Best Defender Perry Singleton

Report Courtesy of Dave Roberts

Steve Manning

BARLA Media Manager

"If we wish to free ourselves from enslavement, we must choose freedom and the responsibility this entails." Leo Buscaglia

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Blimey! :O

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

That is one of the least professional match reports I've ever seen, then again it is BARLA so probably to be expected. Great win for Ukraine against players who have likely been playing all their lives.

• amh likes this

#4 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

then again it is BARLA so probably to be expected. 

Whats that supposed to mean??

How can you write a match report when the host team won't give you any team or scorers details??

Great to see BARLA Young Lions once again paying their own way to support a developing nation.

#5 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Whats that supposed to mean??

How can you write a match report when the host team won't give you any team or scorers details??

Great to see BARLA Young Lions once again paying their own way to support a developing nation.

It means BARLA is an unprofessional and poorly run organization, what do you think?

#6 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I was brought up on the era when BARLA saved the amateur game in England.

As for unprofessional they certainly are ..British AMATEUR Rugby League Association.

Maybe they need a make over and dragged up todate but whatever you think the BARLA boys are still paying their own way to help spread the game in Europe and beyond.

More than the professional game is doing .

Jamaica,Czech,Italy,Holland,Germany,Ukraine (2nd visit),Russia. Marocco,Serbia,Pakistan,have all had the benefit of coaching from and playing against BARLA teams, in different age groups, over the past 4 or five years.

The match report was more than likely done by one of the coaching staff and without any input from the host country regarding team list or scorers what more do you expect ???

I'm not going down the for and against BARLA route as its been done to death on other threads and its obvious which side of the fence you sit on.

Maybe a little appriciation of the development work BARLA do rather than knocking them over some match report would have been a better responce.

Won 3 lost 1 

Rest of tour results 

http://www.barla.org...ils.asp?id=3202

Edited by yanto, 20 June 2013 - 05:10 PM.

• RLRatings likes this

#7 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm not criticizing the players or the touring/development work, that's fantastic and a credit to the sport, and I hope it continues regardless of what happens to BARLA. That's no reason for a biased and unprofessional match report, which does nobody any favours.

• amh likes this

#8 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

any photos?

#9 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

The BARLA Great Britain Emerging Lions Under 17’s squad and management team are counting down the seconds minutes and hours before they set off on their tour of Germany on Thursday 27th June tom play two Test Matches against Germany Under 20’s.

Given the BARLA Young Lions defeat at a developing Ukraine side earlier this week the Emerging Lions Head Coach Kevin Johnson and captain Joe Prior will not underestimate the challenge ahead of them.

Kevin Johnson gives his thoughts on the job ahead and his decision on the captaincy,

“We are very optimistic as the first BARLA side going over to Germany to promote the game of rugby league, who I believe are doing very well in the recruitment of young players and everyone involved, is looking forward to the adventure

“We are ambassadors for this country and we will be treating Germany with the utmost respect, we are going to be playing an Under 20’s team. Because of the age difference physically it will be hard but I think technically and ability wise we should outclass them and come out on top as we have done on previous tours.

“The squad is made up from the three counties with eight players each selected from Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire. Even though Lancashire won this season’s championship it was agreed by the other coaches and I, who also coached their counties that this would be part of our selection criteria policy.

“We’ve had a few training sessions and at our last one we made a big thing of it inviting our sponsors FS Nuclear Consultants, CMS Medical, Travis Perkins, Freddie’s Charity and Rugby League Cares for a meet and greet and making a big presentation to the players who were presented with their first ever BARLA Great Britain shirts in the presence of their parents.

“Congratulations to Joe Prior who will captain this side, Joe was captain of the Lancashire side and came to the forefront of the side, he is a tremendous little general. Around the park he pushes the side around everywhere. He knows where we need to be at certain plays and areas which the lads respond to and they have the respect for him with what he has done in his own career to date.

“The players in the squad have played with and against him know what he can do and are all behind him. He was vice captain of the BARLA side earlier this year in a Test Match at sale against the Central Coast Centurions and this is a deserved progression for Joe who will serve his country well.”        

17 yrs old Joe Prior who plays for Wigan St Patricks Open Age and Under 18’s talks of his honour of leading his country and the task ahead,

“I was really pleased when I was informed by Kevin (Johnson) and I didn’t expect it to get it, it’s a great honour to captain my country and lead this side out in the two Test Matches in Germany and I like the test of the players in the squad can’t wait to get there.

“It is the first time that a BARLA side has visited Germany, we don’t know anything about the side that we are going to be playing although that they are a few years older than us. But we will give them the respect that they deserve and no doubt they will give us equal respect as well.

“Come game time though after the hard work we have already put in and when we arrive there we will be looking to win the Test Series and come home winners. This side is unbeaten on previous tours and we hope to keep up that record.”

BARLA GREAT BRITAIN EMERGING LIONS SQUAD:

Harrison Brown (Dalton), Josh Hunter (West Hull), Liam Marshall (Wigan St Patricks), James Porter (Ulverston), Jack Lazenby (West Hull), Liam Naughton (Thatto Heath Crusaders), Connor Wilson (Flimby Vikings), Jamie Sammie (Dewsbury Moor), Rob Hammon (Blackbrook Royals), Jason Todd (Glasson Rangers), Lewis Lord-Lowe (York Acorn), Connor Casey (Oldham St Annes), Luke Davison (Wath Brow Hornets), Jordan Whipday (Kings Cross Park), Curtis Edwards Hampson (Wigan St Patricks), Joe Bold (Egremont Rangers), Dan Connell (West Bowling), Rob Meadows (Ince Rose Bridge), Howard Rowley (Ulverston), Harry Bromwich (York Acorn), Tom Smith (Thatto Heath Crusaders), Tom Wilkinson (Ulverston), Luke Robinson (West Bowling), Joe Prior, Captain (Wigan St Patricks). Staff Stuart Prior (Tour Manager), Jackie Reid MBE (International Chair), Warren Turley (Team Manager), Kevin Johnson (Coach), Christopher Fisher (Assistant Coach), Michael Johnson (Assistant Coach), Laura Wilson (Physio), Amy Picton (Assistant Physio), Fiona Everson (CWO).

"If we wish to free ourselves from enslavement, we must choose freedom and the responsibility this entails." Leo Buscaglia

#10 Monk

Monk
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

can you let me know where and when in Germany the Tour will be.

Thanks

#11 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Monk,the tour is based in Heidelberg with 2 games vs germany u20s on sunday june 30 ko 18.00 and wednesday july 3 ko 19.00

#12 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

BARLA Great Britain Emerging Young Lions Head Coach Kevin Johnson has named the squad for this evenings Second Test match against Germany Under 20’s which is once again being played at Handschuhsheim RC at  7.00pm (CET).

Amongst the players making their debuts for the side are Connor Wilson of Cumbria club side Flimby Vikings, who makes history for his club as he is their first ever player to gain international representative honours and play for his country.

“I have found it hard coming on this tour. I got home sick pretty early but I was reminded by all my good friends and family what I would be achieving. There are a lot of people from Flimby proud of me and I just want to pay them back with a good performance for my club and country. I would also like to thank the management team and BARLA for this great opportunity,” he said.

Johnson has made a number of changes to the side that won the opening game to ensure that all the players on the tour experience with only half back combination of skipper Joe Prior and Joe Bold retaining a starting position.

“I have made changes to the winning side of the first game over Germany to ensure everyone in the twenty four man squad gets the experience of playing for his country. There is little point of selecting a squad of this size and not give the opportunity and game time experience to all of them. They have all trained hard and deserve," said Johnson.

“Although we won the opener we will not be complacent against Germany and will be focussed on what we do and stick to the game plan I have put together. The scoreline didn’t reflect the effort our hosts put in and they will want to prove a point and will be up for the task against us.

“In relation to the selection of Connor who like the rest of the team is in on merit I wasn’t aware at the time that he is the first ever player in the history of Flimby Vikings to play for his country. It is a tremendous achievement for both Connor and the coaches of the Vikings who have brought him to where he is today, his first steps on the BARLA International pathway.

The team:

BARLA GREAT BRITAIN EMERGING YOUNG LIONS: 1. Curtis Edwards-Hampson {Wigan St Patricks}, 2. Dan Connell {West Bowling}, 3. Rob Hamon {Blackbrook Royals}, 4. Rob Meadows {Ince Rose Bridge}, 5. Howard Rowley {Ulverston}, 6. Joe Bold {Egremont, 7. Joe Prior {Wigan St Patricks, Captain}, 8. Tom Smith {Thatto Heath Crusaders}, 9. Lewis Lord-Lowe {York Acorn), 10. Luke Robinson {West Bowling}, 11. Connor Wilson {Flimby Vikings}, 12. Connor Casey {Oldham St Anne's}, 13. Harry Bromwich {York Acorn}. Subs: 14. Jason Todd {Glasson Rangers}, 15. Jack Lazenby {West Hull}, 16. Josh Hunter {West Hull}, 17. Jamie Porter {Ulverston}, 18. Jamie Samme {Dewsbury Moor}.

Germany Under 20’s v BARLA Great Britain Emerging Young Lions kick off 7.00pm (CET)

The live update can be followed at @barlael

The tour’s main sponsor is FS Nuclear Consultants and supported by CMS Medical, Travis Perkins, Freddie’s Charity and Rugby League Cares whose invaluable support has made the trip possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users