RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL Leadership

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#101 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Aussie sports administration is completely different to British.

Id also go as far as to say RL is unique in GB in the challenges it poses and faces.

#102 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm afraid its not up to you. Nor should it be. Do you actually have any evidence that the participation at the junior level in the midlands has taken a massive hammering in just one year?  If it is true, do you have any evidence that it is anything the RFL have done or not done under Woods leadership that is responsible?

It might be worth a little thought before joining the miserable  ill-informed personal anti-Woods KKK-style witch-hunt, don't you think?

10 teams down to 5 at U16 is probably decent evidence.

However, blaming the RFL is a little too easy. The clubs have had 3-5 years of community support and a few of them have relied on the community coach to run the junior section as well as coach, develop school links etc. When the Sport England money was slashed, and you could see that coming 2 years away, there was no infrastructure left behind. That, as much as anything, is the resposnsibility of the clubs.

You could argue that the removal of all support locally was an option that the RFL took - they could have kept some posts if they so chose - but where else would they have had to cut support?

The Midlands is in better shape overall than it was 5 years ago - but it's far from stable and it's now up to the RL people in the region to make it work. It could go either way - there could be growth built on links with the new pro clubs or we could end up with an RL wasteland between Sheffield and London.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#103 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Can you explain why it is ludicrous?

The current system is ludicrous and is slowly killing off the game outside SL and at the bottom of SL

Even Scottish football rejected it.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#104 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Even Scottish football rejected it.

10 of 12 voted yes. Their system requires 11-1.

Not sure what our system requires.

#105 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm failing to see your point

How do you sign Gallop when he is head of Australian Football.

Induce him to break a contract?

#106 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

It might be worth a little thought before joining the miserable  ill-informed personal anti-Woods KKK-style witch-hunt, don't you think?

Nope.

Not enough rich men want to bankroll clubs
Fans are less and less bothered about second and third tier RL
Limited amounts of youngsters want to play RL
SKY don't want to pay any more money
The government want to cut sports funding
Top players want to go to Australia
Big firms don't see RL sponsorship as having much return

People making their own free choices is clearly the fault of the leadership of the game.

String 'em up.

#107 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm afraid its not up to you. Nor should it be. Do you actually have any evidence that the participation at the junior level in the midlands has taken a massive hammering in just one year?  If it is true, do you have any evidence that it is anything the RFL have done or not done under Woods leadership that is responsible?

Yes, the playing numbers are almost half of what they were last year. Stands for itself really. Of course it's not up to me, it's up to everyone. If I try and fail because I'm a one man nut job fair enough, I'll go crawl under rock and never come out. But if I'm right and the game is genuinely going backwards why not stand up / say so and try to do something.

Maybe I'm lost in the romance of yesteryear but 15 years ago (or thereabouts) I'd watch a 2nd division side at home consistently pulling in over 5000 people. I'd watch the A team games with another 800 others. As much as I didn't like the hierarchy back then I did respect them and I didn't think I was been lied too to save face (maybe they were better at it, who knows)

Either way, the grass roots is taking a hammering. Decisions like the duel reg are a joke. We are getting left behind as a sport in our development compared to others.

RL is the most fierce gladiatorial game in the world. What players put there bodies through in a professional and amateur environment should be applauded from the highest roof tops not just by a few but by everybody. As a sport we shouldn't be happy to accept the scraps from sponsorships (Stobart) we've got the greatest game in the world. We're not doing something right.

#108 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

RL is the most fierce gladiatorial game in the world. What players put there bodies through in a professional and amateur environment should be applauded from the highest roof tops

It's what makes our game admired.

But is it also what makes people not want to play it?

#109 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Do you know last years numbers by any chance? how did they compare? are we talking of a one year blip or a trend? 

which div 2 clubs had regular 5k crowds 15 years ago?

Sure, our game should be bigger and better  than it is, bigger and better than ever, but it is not a simple and easy matter, If it were, it would already be bigger and better.

However, I refuse to join the Woods/Rimmer witch hunt and instead like to base my opinions on facts not on the personal dislikes of some others on here.

#110 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

what do you mean 'not to mention the world cup'. In what way are you not happy with what Wood and Rimmer have done with the WC?

eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lack of sponsor??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#111 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Nope.

Not enough rich men want to bankroll clubs
Fans are less and less bothered about second and third tier RL
Limited amounts of youngsters want to play RL
SKY don't want to pay any more money
The government want to cut sports funding
Top players want to go to Australia
Big firms don't see RL sponsorship as having much return

People making their own free choices is clearly the fault of the leadership of the game.

String 'em up.

Aside from the government funding point, ask the question Why? to each of your points and you would be doing what the game should be doing.

We would need however some form form of independent entity to give "honest" answers...

#112 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

can I just say that I feel it was wrong to merge these threads, they have little in common

one was about what people desired from the sports' leadership

now its about bagging the current leadership

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#113 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

time to bring in a real hard nosed business man to run the game instead of bumbling amateurs, look at club chairmen like ian lennegan, simon moran and steve o'connor, who have transferred their business accumen to the way they run their clubs. these are the people we need running our game who have a proven track record in the game as well as being successful business men in their own right.
i can cite o'connor as an example, he built a successful haulage company and when he took over widnes they were in a dreadul state financially, he dismantled the club and built it from the bottom upwards and making the club a viable business, before looking at the on field product. now after 1 year in super league widnes are beginning to become a really competetive team by the addition of just 2 players to last seasons squad. off the field, the club is trading in profit, has attracted 2 further millionaire business men to invest in the club and is the hub of the community due to the forersight of laying the i-pitch which is used by community groups as well as the club....surely that is the way forward for the game as a whole?
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#114 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

What makes you think the tournament will have a title sponsor? They have already said it is unlikely they will have one (pretty much unless somebody comes in with a megabucks offer).

The tournament in 2008 didn't have a title sponsor, neither does the RU, Cricket or Football World Cups.

Remind me again why this is an issue for the RFL.

#115 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

time to bring in a real hard nosed business man to run the game instead of bumbling amateurs, look at club chairmen like ian lennegan, simon moran and steve o'connor, who have transferred their business accumen to the way they run their clubs. these are the people we need running our game who have a proven track record in the game as well as being successful business men in their own right.
i can cite o'connor as an example, he built a successful haulage company and when he took over widnes they were in a dreadul state financially, he dismantled the club and built it from the bottom upwards and making the club a viable business, before looking at the on field product. now after 1 year in super league widnes are beginning to become a really competetive team by the addition of just 2 players to last seasons squad. off the field, the club is trading in profit, has attracted 2 further millionaire business men to invest in the club and is the hub of the community due to the forersight of laying the i-pitch which is used by community groups as well as the club....surely that is the way forward for the game as a whole?

We've had plenty of businessmen running our clubs and game and they got the same stick as the current regime - often more as they weren't 'rl fans'.

I'm certainly not saying that I'm happy with everything, but I suspect that the RFL can never win. There have been some good points made on here, some well informed stuff, but ultimately the vast majority of criticism the RFL gets is ill-informed nonsense.

They do keep getting nominated by external sources for awards - although I do accept that these should maybe be taken with a pinch of salt.

#116 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Which div 2 clubs had regular 5k crowds 15 years ago?

Hull in 1997 - over 6,000.  Either side of that nobody.

#117 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

I can cite o'connor as an example, he built a successful haulage company and when he took over widnes they were in a dreadul state financially, he dismantled the club and built it from the bottom upwards and making the club a viable business, before looking at the on field product. now after 1 year in super league widnes are beginning to become a really competetive team by the addition of just 2 players to last seasons squad. off the field, the club is trading in profit, has attracted 2 further millionaire business men to invest in the club and is the hub of the community due to the forersight of laying the i-pitch which is used by community groups as well as the club....surely that is the way forward for the game as a whole?

Well that's one way of putting it.

The other is he set attendance targets for the club to break even and be self sustainable as a business and the club fell well short of those targets.

So he failed. He has since stepped down and taken a back seat.

If there are three millionaires throwing money at Widnes that is hardly the "way forward" for the game as a whole is it??

Edited by The Parksider, 24 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#118 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

The Rugby League World Cup appears to be run by the  Rugby League International Federation Ltd, Australian Business Number 28 091 594 777, Registered Office Level 5, 165 Phillip Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, so I blame 

Scott Carter, John Numapo, Graeme Thompson, John Bishop, Nigel Wood, Peni Musunamasi, Maurice Watkins, Emmanuel Blanc, John Grant and Shane Mattiske

Burn them!! :P

• amh likes this

#119 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Well that's one way of putting it.

The other is he set attendance targets for the club to break even and be self sustainable as a business and the club fell well short of those targets.

So he failed. He has since stepped down and taken a back seat.

If there are three millionaires throwing money at Widnes that is hardly the "way forward" for the game as a whole is it??

Whilst I don't overly agree with the way you have positioned this, I do agree with the principle.

Moran at Warrington often discussed his dismay at some of the crowds we get. Maybe he just doesn't believe in the product enough!

#120 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Aussie sports administration is completely different to British.

Id also go as far as to say RL is unique in GB in the challenges it poses and faces.

I agree with both comments, which is why I think that a fresh view is so necessary. The UK Ordnance Survey has recently been called in by the Australian Govtt to sort out the country's mapping, so why not call in the NRL to sort out our game here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users