Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League told to play to its strengths ... but World Cup still waiting for sponsors

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Circumstance often plays a huge role in the perception of success, 2002-2007 housing market boom and grants like confetti, you had to try not to do better. Benchmarking is the key and when you do that against our primary competitors the results are poor, culminating in the shambolic Franchise concept.

We do not need some northern bloke to lead us over the cliff, we need some bloke able to understand our strengths and sell them for the market rate - I don't give a monkeys if he is a RL man or not but if you believe in your product my experience tells me it is easier to sell for the right price than if you didn't.

We have a great future, its just that we don't know it.......

Yeah, Lewis just struck lucky.

#42 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yeah the last thing we need is someone taking over a bankrupt shambles in 2002 and turning it around. We want an incompetence enthusiast.
It matters not if the game dies through lack of income as long as it is a proper RL man that leads us over the cliff.

You forgot to add:  who will bail out after making changes that look good short term but won't stand the test of time.

Maybe you should consider why he didn't stick around to see it through?

#43 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

You forgot to add:  who will bail out after making changes that look good short term but won't stand the test of time.

Because he'd done 10 years and got the chance to run Sport England instead?

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

We do not need some northern bloke to lead us over the cliff, we need some bloke able to understand our strengths and sell them for the market rate - I don't give a monkeys if he is a RL man or not but if you believe in your product my experience tells me it is easier to sell for the right price than if you didn't.

The problem with this (and there are plenty of people saying the same) is that it is just bluster. How exactly would you sell the game to people who are not interested?

Sky haven't been able to sell the rights to sponsor their RL coverage. I'm sure they believe in the viewing figures that it pulls in (they don;t need to love the game, just the pure numbers it pulls in). IMG surely believe in their vieiwing figures when selling their rights.

It is just bluster when people keep saying we sell the game short - what exactly do people mean?

#45 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

the longer we have laurel and hardy running the game in this country then the further into the abyss we are staring.

you could always resign, but then what about Hardy?  :tongue:

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Because he'd done 10 years and got the chance to run Sport England instead?

I agree with you. and now the LTA.   Sometimes I think too many in our fanbase just don't want, like or deserve success and would rather see the game return to the primordial swamp where they can only be happy when things go wrong.

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

He moved on, it happens. But RL was a lot better for him joining in for 10 years or so.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Circumstance often plays a huge role in the perception of success, 2002-2007 housing market boom and grants like confetti, you had to try not to do better. Benchmarking is the key and when you do that against our primary competitors the results are poor, culminating in the shambolic Franchise concept.

If you don't care whether he is a RL man or not, why did you argue we needed someone passionate about RL? Perhaps someone not steeped in RL might not appreciate the importance of every aspect of the game but that sometimes isn't a bad thing. Sometimes an outsider can see where exactly it is that you are going wrong. 

You are playing down Lewis's achievements from those post 2000 WC days. Mo Lindsay had to ring the Aussies up and beg them not to cancel their 2001 tour or there could have been real trouble. Things were sailing seriously close to the wind back then. We wouldn't be here arguing about licensing if that situation had not been turned round.

#49 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

If you don't care whether he is a RL man or not, why did you argue we needed someone passionate about RL? Perhaps someone not steeped in RL might not appreciate the importance of every aspect of the game but that sometimes isn't a bad thing. Sometimes an outsider can see where exactly it is that you are going wrong.

You are playing down Lewis's achievements from those post 2000 WC days. Mo Lindsay had to ring the Aussies up and beg them not to cancel their 2001 tour or there could have been real trouble. Things were sailing seriously close to the wind back then. We wouldn't be here arguing about licensing if that situation had not been turned round.

If you are not passionate about what you sell you will never get value for it an example of how a united sport could use the findings - we probably have a fan base of 300k who attend a game more than once a season, that equates to an annual spend at the supermarket of £1.5 billion pa, £300m on insurances, £1b at pubs/restaurants, gas/ electric/phones etc
Now unite that spend behind a united game and you have something to really sell

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you are not passionate about what you sell you will never get value for it an example of how a united sport could use the findings - we probably have a fan base of 300k who attend a game more than once a season, that equates to an annual spend at the supermarket of £1.5 billion pa, £300m on insurances, £1b at pubs/restaurants, gas/ electric/phones etc
Now unite that spend behind a united game and you have something to really sell

The top salesmen in my industry earn a packet, I seriously doubt they are passionate about web printing over sheetfed. It doesn't always work like that. Being passionate can be an asset, it also can be a hindrance.

And how come the game has never done these things before? Why is it the current/previous regimes fault?

#51 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Being passionate can be an asset, it also can be a hindrance.

Definitely!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#52 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Enjoying this between SC & J, honestly, really good - one point he OR she 

I was personally hoping Brian Barwick would have had more input, or indeed a bigger role

anyway, carry on , as you were

Edited by amh, 24 June 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#53 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

the 2008 RLWC did'nt have a main sponsor...just lots of "other" sponsors...like "official airline" , "offical beer" etc......thats the same policy the 2013 RLWC has followed....and plenty have come on board already...

Edited by roughyedspud, 24 June 2013 - 01:04 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#54 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

the 2008 RLWC did'nt have a main sponsor...just lots of "other" sponsors...like "official airline" , "offical beer" etc......thats the same policy the 2013 RLWC has followed....and plenty have come on board already...

Other than Hertz, Marriott and Steeden, who are the others? I've not seen anything.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#55 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Other than Hertz, Marriott and Steeden, who are the others? I've not seen anything.

bottom of the page

http://www.rlwc2013.com/

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#56 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

bottom of the page

http://www.rlwc2013.com/

I'd forgotten Gullivers Travel but that isn't plenty. Are there any more in the pipeline Roughyedspud you are aware of?

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

The top salesmen in my industry earn a packet, I seriously doubt they are passionate about web printing over sheetfed. It doesn't always work like that. Being passionate can be an asset, it also can be a hindrance.

And how come the game has never done these things before? Why is it the current/previous regimes fault?

The point is, surely, that they are passionate about selling?  What we need is someone who is passionate about marketing, for example, and then set them loose on the sport.  Whether they love rugby league or not is surely irrelevant?  It's whether they have a hunger for their job and a competence in it that counts.  The trouble is, it is really hard to imagine Nigel Wood, who seems to have a finger in every single pie, being sufficiently astute to recognise what such a person looks like.  I can only envision him signing more administrators.

Edited by Saintslass, 24 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#58 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Kingstone Press have been advertising on Premier Sports that they are a partner of the World Cup, although I have seen no press release specifically about them coming on board.

Then again, it's quite a while since I've seen any kind of press release about the world cup at all.

#59 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Kingstone Press have been advertising on Premier Sports that they are a partner of the World Cup, although I have seen no press release specifically about them coming on board.

Then again, it's quite a while since I've seen any kind of press release about the world cup at all.

That's good news. More please...

#60 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

The art of the press release is indeed an..art.  In any case, as has been mentioned elsewhere, I think we'd struggle to be heard at present over the cacophony of Wimbledon, krikit, lions, run up to the soccer season, etc. I think the trick is to roll with the punch and counter attack as the WC gets nearer.

Edited by JohnM, 24 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users