Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League told to play to its strengths ... but World Cup still waiting for sponsors

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#81 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

It would require a fundamental change in the way the media choose to portray the game. What we get is a cocktail of contempt, deliberate dishonesty, condescension or just being ignored altogether. Not even the most rabid keyboard warrior can blame the RFL for not being able to turn that around. Actually, come to think of it, they probably would. :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree. Even if this year's rugby World Cup is a success, I'm half expecting something along the lines of Martin Samuel's hatchet job from the last World Cup here - "and now for a sport no-one cares about - rugby league".

#82 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

International sports.

We may get higher figures for certain comps - but overall, their exposure is far far far in excess of anything we have.

I am talking about netball etc. They manage to get people like Fiat on board. This isn't a pop at netball either.
I aren't expecting a deal for RL that outstrips the Champions League or whatever but it is worth more than nothing.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#83 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Before I got into watching Rugby League (and bearing in mind that I come from a 100% football mad family) I genuinely thought Super League was to the Aviva Premiership what the championship was to the Premier League just from how it was portrayed on tv and in the media.

#84 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I am talking about netball etc. They manage to get people like Fiat on board. This isn't a pop at netball either.
I aren't expecting a deal for RL that outstrips the Champions League or whatever but it is worth more than nothing.

But who knows the value of that deal? The fact is that we have got sponsors on board - Heinz, Foxy, Tetleys, Irn Bru, Brut, Kingstone Press, Gillette, Northern Rail, ISC and Rhino are all partners of the RFL.

We do have people interested, but it would appear not prepared to pay for full title rights at the moment. We may be asking £1m when the Netball SL could be getting £100k. 

#85 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

International sports.

We may get higher figures for certain comps - but overall, their exposure is far far far in excess of anything we have.

So introduce caveats after the answer?

#86 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

So introduce caveats after the answer?

No - clumsy post from me - I was saying they are international sports so they get far better coverage than us.

edit: As sports they are both far bigger than RL so whilst we may get some higher figures for some events, those sports overall get massively higher vieiwing figures here and worldwide.

Edited by Dave T, 25 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#87 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Not every business is global though. There must be plenty of medium sized firms that would be a good fit for SL or RL in general.
Otherwise we are never going to meet all those criteria.

#88 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Not every business is global though. There must be plenty of medium sized firms that would be a good fit for SL or RL in general.
Otherwise we are never going to meet all those criteria.

yep - engage for example. Unfortunately it appears to me that in the current climate the companies still investing in sports sponsorship are generally the major companies, an area where rl has never been that great in.

#89 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

yep - engage for example. Unfortunately it appears to me that in the current climate the companies still investing in sports sponsorship are generally the major companies, an area where rl has never been that great in.

I can well believe that. I just wish people would appreciate this a bit more when claiming the RFL are incompetent. (Which they could be for all I know but it clearly isn't easy)

#90 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

I can well believe that. I just wish people would appreciate this a bit more when claiming the RFL are incompetent. (Which they could be for all I know but it clearly isn't easy)

yup and this is the point of my posts in the thread tbh.

#91 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Absolutely agree. Even if this year's rugby World Cup is a success, I'm half expecting something along the lines of Martin Samuel's hatchet job from the last World Cup here - "and now for a sport no-one cares about - rugby league".

Howsabout this for timing!

http://www.dailymail...uth-battle.html

#92 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

I did not realise Izzy Folau got a release from Union to play in game one.  :tongue:

Great Journalism there.

#93 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

What a useless fat knacker that man is.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#94 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

oops wrong thread.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 26 June 2013 - 09:07 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#95 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I saw AIG linked the other day on a sponsorship website - have no idea how credible it is though. Was listed alongside Hertz and Marriott.

AIG are I think a partner of the RU Sevens circuit, as are Hertz and Marriott so maybe they are being targeted.

@Dave T

this one?

http://sponsorpitch....properties/3754

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#96 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

@Dave T

this one?

http://sponsorpitch....properties/3754

Yes - suspect it is due to the Rugby World Cup 7's or something, but who knows?

#97 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Would seem a bit strange as they appear to be getting involved in union more and more, and after reading an article on their head of sponsorship, it seems unlikely they'd be interested in getting involved with RL

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#98 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

A mind game:

What do people think a corporate sponsor would be looking for from such sponsorship?

What business case do people think that a marketing manager would have to put forward to get agreement to spend £50K, £500K £5 million a year for say three years?

Waat companies would you approach and why?

#99 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Brands i would approach would be the likes of: Red Bull, Subway, Nando's (without doubt!), Coco Vita, Virgin, Duracell, Samsung, Siemens, Nissan, Toyota .. there are loads from all different industries. Brands that could have fun with an involvement with RL.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#100 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

OK. Pick one or two of those possibles. Why  would they want to sponsor our sport in some way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users