RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your vision for the game

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Vision - a vibrant sport played extensively in Schools, Colleges and Universities as the spring/summer sport of choice. This will ignite the local amateur club scene which should be partnered with a pro club.

To see 2 fully pro divisions of 14 encompassing 3/4 French clubs until they are able to run their own fully pro comp supported by French TV, 2 Welsh clubs, 2 London, 2 South West, North East and Midlands

How - we need to generate substantially more income and we will not do that until we understand where our value is and sell its benefits aggressively, instead of the current sales strategy of putting ourselves down by trying to be what we currently aren't which subsequently has no value when compared to others competing for the same cash.

Over 12.5m people live in the North West and Yorkshire/Humberside, this is greater than NIRE, Scotland and Wales combined. Lets be the go to sport for companies looking to advertise/sponsor in this area - if we nailed this opportunity then incomes would be greatly increased

#42 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Excellent Jonty

I have always promoted protection for London, but I'm afraid it's time to move on. I like the origin at youth level, in fact all your ideas for strengthening through school age upwards. The international ideas are great, suggested before individually, but you're right they need to be penciled in with conviction instead of just being talked about every year.

As with anything, funding is the issue, and I suppose until we get Sport England and others to invest more, and sponsors to sit up and come aboard, removing prop ups from clubs that don't achieve the standards, will free up some funds for investment in the right areas for future growth.

Cheers Maggie.

London is a difficult one. As much as I've always been an advocate for the Bronco's and a Super League presence in London, I think there is more to gained from a strong, sustainable Championship club than with a SL license - for now. It's vital that centralised investment is targeted at London and other emerging areas to provide a pathway for young players to aspire to the top level. Look at Fev in the Championship. That's be a great model for London Broncos - a championship club living within it's means, but with a commitment to youth and community.

The youth origin idea wasn't just about York v Lancs. It's about recognising all areas where the youth game is strong. Would Cumbria beat Yorkshire at home? Where are London kids at compared to their Lancastrian peers? What about Wales, Catalunya, Provence, Aquitaine, etc. Let's embed sub-national and international culture at youth level. It happens to an extent, but seems to be a disparate body of teams. Why not take it to the next level and have a European talent pool.

Maybe you get (linked to education and academic year, hence semi-winter season):

Oct - December - club pre-season training, linked to AASE (Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence - college based talent) and School/FE colleges

January - club friendlies

February - May - club fixtures (although consideration given to exam commitments as a priority)

July - August - Talented players progress to representative rugby and ultimately Origin

This could fall in sync with a similar programmes that would be developed in France and Wales, but led by the RFL in partnership with RLW and FFR13. We're probably not too far away as the RFL already has an AASE programme. Let's, again, play to our strengths.

Edited by Jonty, 25 June 2013 - 10:16 AM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#43 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

There are some great ideas and thoughts on this thread as there always is. If only, some of the ideas could be carried forward by individuals with real talent and drive because I personally think this is lacking at the top of the current RL hierarchy and in some cases at the clubs.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

How - we need to generate substantially more income and we will not do that until we understand where our value is and sell its benefits aggressively, instead of the current sales strategy of putting ourselves down by trying to be what we currently aren't which subsequently has no value when compared to others competing for the same cash.

Over 12.5m people live in the North West and Yorkshire/Humberside, this is greater than NIRE, Scotland and Wales combined. Lets be the go to sport for companies looking to advertise/sponsor in this area - if we nailed this opportunity then incomes would be greatly increased

With respect - this is all bluster.

The go to sport for companies in these areas will always be football - we can try and pick up scraps (although there are some decently sized scraps to be had).

When you talk about our current strategy of putting ourselves down - can you show me proof that the RFL does this, as I have never seen anything that even remotely suggests such a thing.

I have seen us try and position ourselves as a family sport that is affordable (which I think poses issues in itself) but I always see press releases about how tough the game is, how good the viewing figures are, how the crowds are increasing, how the game is going to new audiences - what should change from all this?

#45 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Some ideas

INTERNATIONAL

1. The Rugby League World Cup

- Tournaments penciled in for 2017 (SH), 2021 (NH) and 2025 (SH). Acceptance of the fact that Australia and England are the only realistic host nations at this time, but that fixtures are encouraged to be played in other adjacent countries. Aspiration for a return to a 16 team event from 2017.

2. Other internationals

- A calendar penciled in until RLWC 2025

- Four nations - bi-annual international series  (2014, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24); ambition to expand to five/six nations; opportunity for all 6 nations to host a mini-tournament.

- Test series; It's a cliche, but bring back tours every four years. Not just for GB, but for other nations too. Get it in a cycle like the RU Lions. GB will only, likely, play Australia in a series once every 12 years or so. It becomes an event. 2015 - GB to Aus; Fra to NZ; Pacific Cup for PNG, Samoa etc. 2019 - GB to NZ; PNG to Fra, Aus to Pacific Islands etc.

- Commonwealth Youth Games - Recognised as the U18s flagship competition 2015 Samoa; 2017 St Lucia; 2021 Brunei; 2025 Zambia

3. Hosting

- Put major events out to tender

TALENT

1. Investment in high quality youth competition across the pro game in a youth age banding (U18-U21 range). Equal funding available to all clubs awarded by application process to a licenced National Academy league structure.

2. Increase the England, Home Nations and Ireland talent pools. Support to the FFR13 to build the French talent pool

3. Meaningful international calendar (above)

4. Origin at youth level (based on county divisions)

GRASSROOTS

1. Focus on Sport England's 14-25 priority age bands; make strong areas stronger at 13s

2. Develop an ambitious satellite clubs programme that acts as a tool to develop the game in emerging districts and "challenging" heartlands areas. Think outside the box. Why not launch 6 v 6 as a tool for expansion at yr 7 upwards?

3. Push for reform of Sport England's Active People Survey, the current measurement system that is widely thought of as flawed. Work in partnership with other sports to achieve this and raise the credibility of RL as a sport that can bargain at the top table

4. Go back to Sport England in 2015 for an increase in investment based upon successes in the first two years of the cycle.

5. Work with other partners, such as StreetGames and Youth Sport Trust to get RL played in schools and as a doorstep sport

6. Invest in Student RL - not just via BUCS teams, but into the Old Boys network.

7. Invest in Her Rugby League

8. Develop a leadership academy programme for young people at 14-16 linked with schools and clubs

9. Work with College SportMakers to run a leadership academy in FE. Deploy such leaders in running grassroots activities at younger age groups, building local and club capacity

CHALLENGE CUP

1. New overseas quota rule applied to SL and Championship clubs to give parity and increase chances of an upset (nb. is this legal?)

PRO GAME

1. Tiered structure of central funding that rewards clubs that are prepared to help the RFL achieve it's Sport England and international objectives (eg. youth, community etc.)

2. SL remains as a "European" licensed competition, but with greater transparency with regard to P&R and minimum standards

3. Standards driven Championships

4. Standards driven conferences

5. Ringfenced central funding for marketing and commercial posts in clubs (in line with minimum standards)

6. Introduction of a "European Cup" for highest ranked English (4 places), French (3 places) and Welsh sides (1 place) outside Super League

1. Move the RFL to Media City

2. Maintain a media/commercial presence in London

LONDON

1. Treat London Broncos like any other - if they don't get in by application, they're in the Championship.

2. Centrally fund youth rugby league at the top level in London to feed the London/southern pro game

HOME NATIONS AND IRELAND

1. RFL to fund the operational costs of the Home Nations and Ireland, and act as an arms-length benefactor, whilst helping them to nurture their relationship withe their respective national sports councils.

2. Assist with growth of the international game in the Home Nations and Ireland

Absolutely brilliant post Jonty, the best I've read on here for ages.

The two points that stand out for me are grassroots rugby and International Rugby.  The way I see it if both are developed properly the growth of Rugby League will be assured.  Grassroots to increase the player pool over the long term, regular international events to raise the media's profile in the short to medium term.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#46 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

With respect - this is all bluster.

The go to sport for companies in these areas will always be football - we can try and pick up scraps (although there are some decently sized scraps to be had).

When you talk about our current strategy of putting ourselves down - can you show me proof that the RFL does this, as I have never seen anything that even remotely suggests such a thing.

I have seen us try and position ourselves as a family sport that is affordable (which I think poses issues in itself) but I always see press releases about how tough the game is, how good the viewing figures are, how the crowds are increasing, how the game is going to new audiences - what should change from all this?

With respect you need to read before posting, I would have thought the 'lets be' clarified the post
I would also suggest that many a penny is spent on other sports well below RL popularity in these areas

Edited by sweaty craiq, 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

With respect you need to read before posting, I would have thought the 'lets be' clarified the post
I would also suggest that many a penny is spent on other sports well below RL popularity in these areas

I did read - I addressed your 'let's be' post. I said that we will never be the go-to sport in the region as long as football is around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users