TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Is it true they've folded ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Rumours circulating the rumour mill, that westgate (Wakefield &district club), from the pennine league have folded. What's happening to the amateur game. Where's the players going, westgate have numerous junior sides, are the players leaving the game & if so why ?

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Rumours circulating the rumour mill, that westgate (Wakefield &district club), from the pennine league have folded. What's happening to the amateur game. Where's the players going, westgate have numerous junior sides, are the players leaving the game & if so why ?

They don't have numerous junior sides any more. They don't have any junior (U7s-U15s) teams. Used to have a thriving junior set-up.

#3 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

If true - very sad to see a team with such a long history in trouble. I find players just don't have the loyalty to their clubs or their mates any more. They find other things that they would rather do. Simple as that.

#4 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

They don't have numerous junior sides any more. They don't have any junior (U7s-U15s) teams. Used to have a thriving junior set-up.

Don't they have a new clubhouse, what happens to it, if they have no juniors any more, & the open age team folding rumour is true

#5 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

If true - very sad to see a team with such a long history in trouble. I find players just don't have the loyalty to their clubs or their mates any more. They find other things that they would rather do. Simple as that.

Could our game be loosing its open age teams & players due to the success of the junior set ups, what I mean by that is by time the players have played from the U 7s through to the U16s, (up to 10 years of competitive rugby) a lot of the players have had enough of training twice a week & playing at weekends. Not too long ago, most players only played junior & senior school rugby, then moved into amateur youth rugby U17s & U19s. So if not signed on for a pro club, were still Hungry to try open age competitive Rugby.

#6 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

The club has not folded although they have certainly encountered some financial difficulties at Westgate Wolves. The bar in the clubhouse is closed but the rest of the club is operating as normal.

Westgate officials are now putting together a business plan which will see the bar re-open on specific days which I would presume to be match days. I would think that by taking this action they're cutting the cloth to suit their needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users