Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA AGM this weekend

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

How important is this event  and how important is the selection of a new Chair ?

Any views ?

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Not very?

Potentially important for BARLA if it wishes to play a part in the future of the community game, but unless it changes, community clubs will continue to gradually drift away from BARLA until it becomes irrelevant, which would be a shame, as BARLA was crucial to the growth of the community game, until BARLA lost it's way many years ago now.

#3 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

So Barla needs to select and more crucially support a Chair capable of embracing change and re-discovering its direction of travel ?

Pity most playing leagues  don't have a vote.....

#4 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Pity most playing leagues  don't have a vote.....

You are not suggesting non-members get a vote are you :ph34r:

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#5 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

You are not suggesting non-members get a vote are you :ph34r:

Absolutely not.

The vast majority of Playing Leagues do not have the vote at Barla.  That is the first issue that any incoming Chair needs to address....

If not , as South Wakefield Sharks posts , it may ultimately result in the demise of the Organisation....

' Same old,  same old'  is not an option.

For instance Carlisle ARL ( and I'm not picking on them ) should not have more of a say than the likes of Yorkshire Juniors or even the NCL who both have none.

If Barla are to maintain any credibility as a Representative  Body ,  maybe they need to re-discover themselves , starting this weekend..........

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Clubs (even NCL & others who don't support BARLA) have a vote via their district leagues, or are you in the same way of thinking as the RFL who have been bypassing the district leagues to deal with the playing league.

Absolutely not.

The vast majority of Playing Leagues do not have the vote at Barla.  That is the first issue that any incoming Chair needs to address....

If not , as South Wakefield Sharks posts , it may ultimately result in the demise of the Organisation....

' Same old,  same old'  is not an option.

For instance Carlisle ARL ( and I'm not picking on them ) should not have more of a say than the likes of Yorkshire Juniors or even the NCL who both have none.

If Barla are to maintain any credibility as a Representative  Body ,  maybe they need to re-discover themselves , starting this weekend..........

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Get real Marauder,

The District Leagues have a part to play but it's the Playing Leagues that move our game on a weekly basis and they are the ones for the clubs that really count. And that's whether it's summer or winter. Most District Leagues meet irregularly to talk about local issues. Very few have the ability to run regular weekly football.

The Barla power bases have always been based on this  DL structure and any attempt to democratize has been fiercely resisted over the years.......

By all means stick with what you like, but believe me status quo is not an option.

Chameleons change colours  when they have to- it doesn't make them a different  creature...........Barla really do need to take a rain check.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've never really quite understood what the district leagues do these days. Always seems like a hangover from the past, and was just another meeting you had to turn up at as a club representative. It's the classic middle tier, that any modern business would have stripped out years ago.

Unless someone can give a different perspective, and explain what I've been missing all these years.

#9 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Get real Marauder,

The District Leagues have a part to play but it's the Playing Leagues that move our game on a weekly basis and they are the ones for the clubs that really count. And that's whether it's summer or winter. Most District Leagues meet irregularly to talk about local issues. Very few have the ability to run regular weekly football.

The Barla power bases have always been based on this  DL structure and any attempt to democratize has been fiercely resisted over the years.......

By all means stick with what you like, but believe me status quo is not an option.

Chameleons change colours  when they have to- it doesn't make them a different  creature...........Barla really do need to take a rain check.

All clubs have the difinitive vote Del Boy as they mandate their member league, be it district or playing, as to where their vote goes. In some areas clubs may have more influence as they can vote through both district and playing league providing the leagues are full members of BARLA. An example of which is; a club that has a team playing in the Pennine ARL and is a member of Halifax ARL would be able to voice their opinion through two organisations, as both Pennie ARL and Halifax ARL are full members of BARLA.

However as you did with the BARLA instigated NCL and other leagues similarly choosing to reduce their BARLA membership from full to associate, have ultimately denied clubs a voice through their playing league. So now is the wrong time for you to bleat about the structure and the district leagues - who were a big part in the actual formation of BARLA - having the power base, after you and others abdicated from this through reasons best known to yourselves.

Maybe if their is a change of direction with a new chair then the structure may change, but one thing that is for certain, members cannot be cast aside just because people like yourself don't like the present structure which they chose to desert. It seems that you didn't consider things fully when you led the NCL out of BARLA.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 21 June 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Get real Marauder,

Did I ever say BARLA doesn't need a facelift?

I think you'll find that for a good few years I have been saying it does but I've never been the type to be self centered or have the need to sit in the manor house looking down on the peasants, so I've stayed on board and become more involved away from my club who I've left in good hands..

Edited by Marauder, 21 June 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#11 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I've never really quite understood what the district leagues do these days. Always seems like a hangover from the past, and was just another meeting you had to turn up at as a club representative. It's the classic middle tier, that any modern business would have stripped out years ago.

Unless someone can give a different perspective, and explain what I've been missing all these years.

I thought this myself and even had it brought up at a meeting as to why the district league should carry on.....

An overwhelming vote was for the district to carry on (It surprised me), the comment that most people took on board was that with the turmoil that was/is going on in the amateur game we do not know what will happen and in five years time it could be left to the district leagues to pick-up the mess.

This comment came from a rep. from a NCL club (even more surprising)

The district league meetings do give a good sounding board as clubs from the different playing leagues are privy to different information and it allows ALL clubs to try and see a true picture without the politics and spin of all the managements.

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#12 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Did I ever say BARLA doesn't need a facelift?

I think you'll find that for a good few years I have been saying it does but I've never been the type to be self centered or have the need to sit in the manor house looking down on the peasants, so I've stayed on board and become more involved away from my club who I've left in good hands..

You've always been consistent about the need to modernize Marauder.

As for the 'self centered ' comment, if you are now getting involved in admin that's great. But you are simply following a well trodden route.   This game bloodsucks  'upwards' ........as it always has , whatever the level of game admin concerned..

Manor House / peasants is a touch   19th century don't you think ? Most people I bump into in  League Admin ( and yes there is a difference between that and central )  have earned their stripes from the ranks , and if they are really honest , didn't want them in the first place and took them for the perceived  ' common good '........

Glad to see your club remains in good hands. That's the usual first problem to be addressed in the so called step up......

#13 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I thought this myself and even had it brought up at a meeting as to why the district league should carry on.....

An overwhelming vote was for the district to carry on (It surprised me), the comment that most people took on board was that with the turmoil that was/is going on in the amateur game we do not know what will happen and in five years time it could be left to the district leagues to pick-up the mess.

This comment came from a rep. from a NCL club (even more surprising)

The district league meetings do give a good sounding board as clubs from the different playing leagues are privy to different information and it allows ALL clubs to try and see a true picture without the politics and spin of all the managements.

If you read my post again St Dom you will see I recognise a position for the Districts. 

You seem largely to pinpoint it. Constants in a changing world are important.

But any new Barla incumbent needs to re - engage with the Playing Leagues . The NCL gave up it's vote in part because it wasn't being listened to and had no say in the direction of travel. Nothing of benefit was on offer. I suspect  the other , much larger Junior Leagues became equally frustrated and moved on.

Let's see what comes out of the AGM.

Would  the number of hits on this topic suggest a decreasing  interest in Barla within the Community game ?

#14 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

But any new Barla incumbent needs to re - engage with the Playing Leagues .

Let's see what comes out of the AGM.

The NCL gave up it's vote in part because it wasn't being listened to and had no say in the direction of travel. Nothing of benefit was on offer. I suspect  the other , much larger Junior Leagues became equally frustrated and moved on.

Would  the number of hits on this topic suggest a decreasing  interest in Barla within the Community game ?

That's a bit of a defeatist attitude Del if you left because you weren't getting your own way and definitely an anarchical route to take. You and other leagues didn't like the rules so you left to make your own. And now you have to skip to someone elses rope.

What next Del, we don't like this .... we're on our bikes again.

As for the interest in BARLA Del, you started the topic - is this a new direction for you, as recent history shows BARLA are well engaged with the game in Cumbria, are you looking for some of the same?

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#15 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

It also bloodsucks in a downwards spiral starting in the corridors of red hall, the people within BARLA who attended the district meetings at Shaw Cross displayed a great understanding that change was required, from what I hear from the West of the pennines the feelings are mutual, I'm hopeful that after this weekends meeting whoever wins can offer the loser an olive branch and a role in modernising the organisation within the BARLA game.

The main differences I see between your RFL control competitions and the BARLA controlled competitions is the democratic or none/selective democratic routes taken to achieve a well run competition for amateurs, returning professionals and in the case of RFL controlled competitions professional and convalescent players.

You've always been consistent about the need to modernize Marauder.

As for the 'self centered ' comment, if you are now getting involved in admin that's great. But you are simply following a well trodden route.   This game bloodsucks  'upwards' ........as it always has , whatever the level of game admin concerned..

Manor House / peasants is a touch   19th century don't you think ? Most people I bump into in  League Admin ( and yes there is a difference between that and central )  have earned their stripes from the ranks , and if they are really honest , didn't want them in the first place and took them for the perceived  ' common good '........

Glad to see your club remains in good hands. That's the usual first problem to be addressed in the so called step up......

Edited by Marauder, 22 June 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#16 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Absolutely not.

The vast majority of Playing Leagues do not have the vote at Barla. That is the first issue that any incoming Chair needs to address....

' Same old, same old' is not an option.

If Barla are to maintain any credibility as a Representative Body , maybe they need to re-discover themselves , starting this weekend..........

Who are Carlisle ARL?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#17 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Who are Carlisle ARL?

Carlisle Amateur Rugby League

#18 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Carlisle Amateur Rugby League

Who do not exist. There have been 2 open age clubs in the city this century, neither have felt the need to add a superfluous 'a' to their name
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#19 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Who do not exist. There have been 2 open age clubs in the city this century, neither have felt the need to add a superfluous 'a' to their name

They are full members of BARLA nec why don't you check the BARLA handbook for contact details. Perhaps the two open age clubs that appeared briefly in the last 13 years were not members of Carlisle ARL and were more likely two more of the ambitious RFL  development clubs that have failed, which would explain the lack of amateur in their title.

And was it really necessary to describe 'A' as superfluous?

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 22 June 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#20 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

The 2nd open age club is playing this weekend and if the Barla handbook includes a Carlisle ARL they are 25+ years out of date as that was when the remaining local amateur sides joined the Cumberland league. Read Border City Blues to find out more. The clubs since then have retained the option to pay players or coaches should the need arise and hence yes the 'a' would have been utterly unnecessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users