Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA AGM this weekend

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

To be fair, it is listed on there. Listing a league with no teams that was last operational in the 1980's could be seen by some as an attempt to look bigger with a wider geographical spread
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#22 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

To be fair, it is listed on there. Listing a league with no teams that was last operational in the 1980's could be seen by some as an attempt to look bigger with a wider geographical spread

A la RFL, for years they have been creating results and fabricating participation to give just that wider geographical spread, The Carlisle was and still is a full BARLA member

#23 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

The 2nd open age club is playing this weekend and if the Barla handbook includes a Carlisle ARL they are 25+ years out of date as that was when the remaining local amateur sides joined the Cumberland league. Read Border City Blues to find out more. The clubs since then have retained the option to pay players or coaches should the need arise and hence yes the 'a' would have been utterly unnecessary.

Yes my friend the A would be unecessary if the club pays their players - that in the wider world is known as professionalism, but the A in the Carlisle Amateur Rugby league legitimately defines their title

#24 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Surely e for extinct or ex might be more apt
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#25 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Surely e for extinct or ex might be more apt

The RFL already use the E in RLEF - I hope that it denotes European or are they better placed to see the eventual outcome.

#26 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'm intrigued. You quote a non-existent league that hasn't existed for 25 years as a member of Barla with voting rights, the full facts are highlighted, and this is somehow the RFL's fault? By the way, Carlisle Centurions paid several players in their time in nl3, but they couldn't afford to pay as much as some clubs that were proud to use the superfluous (and incorrect) letterA

#27 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

I'm intrigued. You quote a non-existent league that hasn't existed for 25 years as a member of Barla with voting rights, the full facts are highlighted, and this is somehow the RFL's fault? By the way, Carlisle Centurions paid several players in their time in nl3, but they couldn't afford to pay as much as some clubs that were proud to use the superfluous (and incorrect) letterA

I can't see where any blame has been allotted to the RFL on this one nec and it looks from reading your last post that you're saying the genuine amateur clubs in your neck of the woods are paying their players.

Tell me were you by any chance connected with these failed RFL development teams.

#28 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

I can't see where any blame has been allotted to the RFL on this one nec and it looks from reading your last post that you're saying the genuine amateur clubs in your neck of the woods are paying their players.

Tell me were you by any chance connected with these failed RFL development teams.

Genuine amateur clubs paying their players? Oxymoron alert

One of the founder members of Carlisle Centurions who were the fore-runners of East Cumbria Crusaders, currently doing well in north east regional league of rl conference. Not as involved now as we have a 2 month old baby. Family involved with local rl since 1980's?

Yourself?

#29 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Genuine amateur clubs paying their players? Oxymoron alert

One of the founder members of Carlisle Centurions who were the fore-runners of East Cumbria Crusaders, currently doing well in north east regional league of rl conference. Not as involved now as we have a 2 month old baby. Family involved with local rl since 1980's?

Yourself?

Just a genuine question not a contradictory statement nec

First played a competitive amateur rugby league game (other than school) in 1972 and for my sins and enthusiasm, played my last competitive game (amateur again having never been near good enough to join the pro ranks) in November 2009 and managing a family in that time.

I've maintained an active interest in the game since then

#30 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Sue Taylor from the Pennine League succeeded the Chair today

Well done

The topic thread remains even more relevant now.

Comments ?

#31 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well done

Comments ?

What are your comments Del Capo on the appointment of Sue Taylor?

Your thoughts on this appointment would be as welcome and as interesting as anyone's I would think.

#32 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well done

Comments ?

Not sure what that means for the future of BARLA, but the Pennine League has been one of the best run BARLA comps for several years.

#33 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I believe Sue spoke very well and took to task some of the exiting committee and certain areas of the BARLA accounts, it appears she is willing to address some difficult issues immediately, which is a refreshing change when it comes to BARLA.

I wish her well and hope her impact is as progressive as it is positive.

#34 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Well done

Comments ?

Blimey Del keep it all on one thread mate,

#35 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Blimey Del keep it all on one thread 

Sorry thought I had. Taxi Egg started running on the NCL forum with this  but with very good points.

No idea about Sue Taylor Lord C.

Never knowingly met her but no doubt will. Remain however conscious of Taxi Egg's view of the latest Barla debacle of a meeting.

She seems to have accepted a position of being forced to follow on , but she won't find  an umpire necessarily giving her an even call. Maybe the best she can expect is to bat out  till close of play .........without though getting another offer of a fixture after that.......

#36 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sorry thought I had. Taxi Egg started running on the NCL forum with this  but with very good points.

No idea about Sue Taylor Lord C.

Never knowingly met her but no doubt will. Remain however conscious of Taxi Egg's view of the latest Barla debacle of a meeting.

She seems to have accepted a position of being forced to follow on , but she won't find  an umpire necessarily giving her an even call. Maybe the best she can expect is to bat out  till close of play .........without though getting another offer of a fixture after that.......

Hey you're right Del I've just tracked back on Taxi's post on the NCL forum surely though it's allowed as we're all friends, with differing views maybe, but I suppose with the best interests of the game at heart.

Speaking of games you came out with some real cricketing terms there didn't you. Although not being one to don the white flannels and stroke leather with willow for the first eleven, I seemed to get the message that you were sending as being; Mrs Taylor's term of office will see the end of BARLA - howzat.

#37 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Peter ,the NCL would have a league vote had you still been a full member your choice not Barla and the same applies to Yorkshire Juniors .

Today we may have seen a new dawn in Sue,s appointment and wish her well in rebuilding the association, but like I have posted on the NCL forum my biggest fear is the mafia will control her and not the other way round .

For me Barla needs to modernise and drop the district league control on the voting .

I agree with you its the fixture playing leagues that should determine the election of officials but we need to be full members of the association .

What I witnessed today was inept people being elected into positions due to a perverse voting system. ( NEW CHAIR EXCLUDED )

#38 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Peter ,the NCL would have a league vote had you still been a full member your choice not Barla and the same applies to Yorkshire Juniors .

For me Barla needs to modernise and drop the district league control on the voting .

I agree with you its the fixture playing leagues that should determine the election of officials but we need to be full members of the association .

Is that a hint that certain youth/junior leagues in Lancashire and Yorkshire would consider full membership with BARLA again in order to achieve this.

#39 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Never say never , but there would have to be massive changes to tempt us.
Just to give you something to think about how many youth and junior leagues are still full members ?
Mrs Land was re elected as youth rep today as youth chair when did she last hold a youth and junior meeting ?
How many Y & J forums as she attended representing the association /

Once you find the answers you can then begin to understand why I feel there needs to be changes in the voting systems at Barla so that we get the right people in the right jobs .

#40 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Never say never , but there would have to be massive changes to tempt us.
Just to give you something to think about how many youth and junior leagues are still full members ?
Mrs Land was re elected as youth rep today as youth chair when did she last hold a youth and junior meeting ?
How many Y & J forums as she attended representing the association /

Once you find the answers you can then begin to understand why I feel there needs to be changes in the voting systems at Barla so that we get the right people in the right jobs .

Can a new voting system be put to a EGM meeting ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users