BARLA AGM this weekend

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Because they are ten times as big Marauder.

If you consider the players as the ultimate consumer to whom we are responsible for the delivery of our product  - the game - then it clearly makes sense. They should not be disadvantaged because they join a ' bigger ' club . And please do not assume that the juniors in a club would necessarily follow the Open Age on a particular issue - ask Taxi Egg.....

But you are  I am afraid following the Barla ' control ' mentality , Rather  a small  subservient , or even non existent , District League  for a vote than the absolute freedom and fresh air approach  that I advocate . Sure it might be chaos for a while , but ,hey ,isn't that how Barla started ?  And claimed the moral high ground in the game as a consequence ?

Nev and Marauder the NCL will talk to anyone anytime to advance our game .We are comfortable where we are.....previous posts have suggested  the new Chair needs to get around.......she will not be rebuffed if she wants to come to see us......

Seems a typical rich gets richer system to me and I'm, not following anyone on this subject at the moment thats why I'm asking a senior statesman a simple question.

I think a much fairer structure would be to put teams into equal groups and from within those groups a 1st choice could be made and who gets the most votes from the groups is the winner. that way no single playing league or district league can influence.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#62 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sorry Marauder you've lost me there....

#63 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Sorry Marauder you've lost me there....

Lets say we had 110 teams, put them in groups of 10 and that would give you 11 votes to decided who wins the election.

#64 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yes I see now.

We're not that far apart. You accept one vote per team, It's how the delivery of that vote is made  where we may differ. How would that be done?

I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel. Let the playing Leagues lodge them? Let the districts cast them ? Or keep everyone on the same song sheet , and critically keep the existing structures involved ?

Two votes per team , one through the playing League and one through the District , would do just that .And remember , votes are not just for elections - they can happen throughout the year on a variety of issues........

#65 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yes I see now.

We're not that far apart. You accept one vote per team, It's how the delivery of that vote is made  where we may differ. How would that be done?

I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel. Let the playing Leagues lodge them? Let the districts cast them ? Or keep everyone on the same song sheet , and critically keep the existing structures involved ?

Two votes per team , one through the playing League and one through the District , would do just that .And remember , votes are not just for elections - they can happen throughout the year on a variety of issues........

I've not had a good look at the present system with it's pro's and con's but many years ago the system worked well], what has come to light with me is some district leagues don't ballot their teams and teams don't ballot their players for important votes, this is an area that needs addressing someway by BARLA.

I'm not to sure about the playing leagues lodging votes or the district leagues casting them (Why have the extra cog in the gearbox) and we all know how some (probably most) secretaries just turn up and will go with the flow that's influenced by the top table.

I honestly can't see why each team needs to have two votes? surely they are going to vote the same way both times,

#66 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've not had a good look at the present system with it's pro's and con's but many years ago the system worked well], what has come to light with me is some district leagues don't ballot their teams and teams don't ballot their players for important votes, this is an area that needs addressing someway by BARLA.

I'm not to sure about the playing leagues lodging votes or the district leagues casting them (Why have the extra cog in the gearbox) and we all know how some (probably most) secretaries just turn up and will go with the flow that's influenced by the top table.

I honestly can't see why each team needs to have two votes? surely they are going to vote the same way both times,

Before the two of you set out to change the voting system to the DMRV (Del Marauder Representation Vote) it cannot be forgotten that the full members are there until they choose not to be.

Unless like the RFL, it's just seen fit to remove seats as occurred with BARLA on the RFL Council  

#67 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Just a way of keeping everyone interested Marauder.

Most Playing Leagues for one reason or another seem to have voted with their feet Marauder . When Barla started the Districts more often than not ran their own competitions - that has long gone. Most meet irregularly. . The Playing Leagues seem to be effectively dis-enfranchised..

On balance , if it were one vote per team ( not accepted by the way in many Districts - tails wagging dogs springs to mind  )  I'd rather see them cast by the Playing Leagues . I wouldn't have a problem with the Pennine League for instance having 100 + votes available - at least those Committees are doing the hard yards on a weekly basis and have their fingers on the pulse of their members..........

Nev.  If Barla don't drag their structures into the 21st century , it's probably the end for them. And anyway , lighten up... It's only a forum , for debates and exchanges of ideas         :tongue:

#68 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Nev and Marauder the NCL will talk to anyone anytime to advance our game .We are comfortable where we are.....previous posts have suggested  the new Chair needs to get around.......she will not be rebuffed if she wants to come to see us......

Do you see another opportunity (financial) here Del Boy as you did with the; NCL/RFL Agreement Appendix 1 paper (issued in March 2011) on the back of which you led your teams into the summer. This document listed many benefits for clubs; transport, player compensation, officials, which mostly have not materialised and are regular topics of contention on the forums.

#69 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Before the two of you set out to change the voting system to the DMRV (Del Marauder Representation Vote) it cannot be forgotten that the full members are there until they choose not to be.

Unless like the RFL, it's just seen fit to remove seats as occurred with BARLA on the RFL Council  

That's just reminded me, I've got to renew my driving licence :thankyou:

#70 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

That's just reminded me, I've got to renew my driving licence :thankyou:

I thought that you'd have had a bus pass by now young man 

#71 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Nev.  If Barla don't drag their structures into the 21st century , it's probably the end for them. And anyway , lighten up... It's only a forum , for debates and exchanges of ideas         :tongue:

Del, the beginning of the end began for BARLA 40 years ago with it's conception and thanks for your concern but I'm pretty relaxed with the debates and exchanges of ideas, although you seem to object to some people throwing a few factual items into the mix. Unloosen your collar mate, 

#72 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I thought that you'd have had a bus pass by now young man 

Few more years yet my olde :)

#73 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

looking at the voting system at Barla use my District as an example 4 clubs 30 teams ,no fixtures no cup comps no coach development etc etc compared with our association 51 clubs 180 teams pro active in all elements of the sport 24/ 7 up date with most people standing for election yet both would have one vote , big difference one would know who they were voting for good bad or indifferent the other would not, so in a nutshell if you did not know the credabilty of the candidate then it should be an abstention .
What I witnessed on sunday was delegates voting for people they knew nothing about, now surely that can not be right ?
MMP each club in essence has under the present system at least two votes to cast their opinions, for example lets just say you have one team at your club your can cast your vote at both district and regional level .
Did your district league canvass your vote ?

Four many years I have thought that BARLA needed to revisit its voting system and that the regional playing leagues should carry the votes after consultation with its respective district leagues that way then at least it would stop the perverse telephone you scratch my back and I will scratch yours vote .

We want the right people in the right position and we need to do away with the present closed shop system which is stopping good people from taking the game forward.

#74 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

looking at the voting system at Barla use my District as an example 4 clubs 30 teams ,no fixtures no cup comps no coach development etc etc compared with our association 51 clubs 180 teams pro active in all elements of the sport 24/ 7 up date with most people standing for election yet both would have one vote , big difference one would know who they were voting for good bad or indifferent the other would not, so in a nutshell if you did not know the credabilty of the candidate then it should be an abstention .
What I witnessed on sunday was delegates voting for people they knew nothing about, now surely that can not be right ?
MMP each club in essence has under the present system at least two votes to cast their opinions, for example lets just say you have one team at your club your can cast your vote at both district and regional level .
Did your district league canvass your vote ?

Four many years I have thought that BARLA needed to revisit its voting system and that the regional playing leagues should carry the votes after consultation with its respective district leagues that way then at least it would stop the perverse telephone you scratch my back and I will scratch yours vote .

We want the right people in the right position and we need to do away with the present closed shop system which is stopping good people from taking the game forward.

At one point my district league had teams playing in Hull, Yorkshire league, West Yorkshire league and the Pennine league :drag:

#75 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Is that a hint that certain youth/junior leagues in Lancashire and Yorkshire would consider full membership with BARLA again in order to achieve this.

Can't imagine that Yorkshire Juniors would ever go back to BARLA. Not sure there would be any benefit to their clubs in doing so.

#76 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Can't imagine that Yorkshire Juniors would ever go back to BARLA. Not sure there would be any benefit to their clubs in doing so.

May do once the £10,000 has run out :)

Edited by Marauder, 27 June 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#77 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

May done once the £10,000 has run out :)

Which 10K?

#78 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Which 10K?

You mean you don't know about the £10,000 from the RFL

#79 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

You mean you don't know about the £10,000 from the RFL

Ah right I see what you mean now.

Doubt if that'll be much of a factor though. Yorkshire Juniors left BARLA in 2002 which was long before the RFL's renewed interest in the community game.

#80 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

And came back as associate members a couple of years ago ,not sure of their current status though ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users