Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referee's performance after tonight's game...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

IMO the referee was shocking and knew he was doing it,must hate us lot round here.
But he didn't knock on for us or kick a goal for us in the ten meter with ten mins to go should of put pressure on them

Edited by Kiddzyy69, 20 June 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

IMO the referee was shocking and knew he was doing it,must hate us lot round here
Denying us ben blacks full length try against featherstone,absolute shocking.

Featherstone was weeks ago!

He was not the difference between the teams tonight. They played the same game as us but better.

#3 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Sorry but nothing to do with the ref. we have been found out as being average. No tactics other than one man up for the majority of the game. Not top 4. 2 points from 12 against other around us. Not good enough!!

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

The standard of reffering in our league is not good enough. The best team won tonight no doubt and the good news is we are getting closer to them! One example that ###### me off tonight. Sheffield get a penealty for a leg pull from which they score. Flanagan gets his leg pulled in front of the Sheffield sticks on the fourth tackle while he is clearly trying to play the ball and we get a big fat nowt. Not good enough ref

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

True we didn't help our selves we looked to have gone away from a structure and it was one up rugby no support on half breaks,but IMO the referee was really poor.

#6 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thought the ref was poor but not as bad as we were. Dropped ball, lack of invention, gifting them the second try and then carrying their guy over the line for their third. Not a good night.
On the plus side the defence remains pretty solid, we don't concede many points but as stated above, every time we come up against one of the other top 5 teams we come up short. Need a new game plan if we're ever to do anything in the big games.

#7 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Refs poor in general at this level.

However tonight the red didn't drop the ball or knock on at least 15 times, didn't watch two 40-20's bounce into touch, didn't have the ball stolen from him under his own sticks, didn't drag an attacker over the line to score, didn't attempt stupid offloads, didn't cause us to have no clue ball in hand or attacking game.

Time we started looking closer to home I'm afraid, instead of looking for someone to blame.

#8 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

cant blame ref at all, we were rubbish all over the park tonight.  it were a night for big massive forwards to trunndle the ball up not bring on the water,that first  belting kick from sheffield should a made our lads think blimey had best be back for next kicks but no we wernt deep enought on every kick and paid the price. how come sheffield manage to get messages on  to pitch every few minutes to call plays and set things up through larder and that  weres wally looking fella but we dont seem to do same as other teams, do we need someone shouting the odds a bit more cos we sure looked lost for what to do all night, well done sheffield for playing good safe rugby and doing it hard too.

#9 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hope to see Danny Maun back in the team soon- our two centres are OK at taking the ball straight up and running at the opposition but neither are creative centres and maybe we've missed Danny more than most people realise. Creativity is in short supply at the moment.

#10 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I've not seen the stats but Sheffield must have made near enough as many errors as we did. They were poor and we defended well in the main. They scored from 2 errors and a slice of luck. At no point did they carve us open or pressure us with repeat sets on our line. The try we scored was the best attacking move of the game. I though Moore kicked well.

We do love a knock-on. 

With regards to the ref..... a lot of decisions are open to interpretation and we'll all have different opinions on different incidents. However, with rugby it's quite clear when someone is offside or not standing square. A players physical position in relation to other players, the ref and the ball is subject to the basic laws of physics which are both measurable and observable. In this respect I thought he was poor.

Anyone fancy taking me to Leigh next Thursday?

Edited by dommyb, 20 June 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I thought we looked disorganized on our last set plays and it was only in the last quarter that our kicking game was effective.

#12 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

What a dreadful thread.

We were poor, dropped too much ball and gave away too many penalties and once again had no idea with ball in hand.

We were our own worst enemies, nothing to do with the ref.

When will John Kear start working on our attacking play? It would appear we completely ignore it in training.

We simply are not good enough and once again crumbled against one of the top sides in the division.

Edited by buford t justice, 20 June 2013 - 09:28 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#13 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

We were our own worst enemies, nothing to do with the ref.

This. We'd do something good, create a bit of momentum, at which point you want us to apply some pressure......then drop the ball on the first tackle. Very frustrating.

Edited by dommyb, 20 June 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Cannot believe folk are blaming the referee tonight. No, no, no.

Dumb rugby. And loose carries.

This team has carried us to top 5, but it won't take us any further, that is now becoming very obvious. I suspect JK may want to do some tinkering this winter to get people in who can take us to the next level.

#15 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Unfortunately I only saw the second half, the only mistake the ref made during that time was the drop goal attempt by Sheffield.The Dogs never cleared the ruck area when in possession and should have realized that they weren't going to win playing one out footy.They would have been better chancing their arm and getting the ball out wide.The Dogs defense is top notch, pity they can't capitalize on that strength.

#16 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Unfortunately I only saw the second half, the only mistake the ref made during that time was the drop goal attempt by Sheffield.The Dogs never cleared the ruck area when in possession and should have realized that they weren't going to win playing one out footy.They would have been better chancing their arm and getting the ball out wide.The Dogs defense is top notch, pity they can't capitalize on that strength.

Spot on. By the way, that DG decision was a shocker!!!

#17 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

Frustrating night, Sheffields game plan was spot on, good defence, steady play down the middle, capitalize on mistakes.

Don't think its fair to say we were poor, a lot of effort, we broke their line a few times, they didn't.

Their defensive line speed is incredible, fastest I've seen this season, or their were offside especially first half.

Ref wasnt great but think we struggled with the conditions.

#18 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I am ashamed of those Batley fans who shout "cheat" at the ref. Although he wasn't fantastic he didn't cause us to lose the game. We were poor and we were outplayed. Too many mistakes are the reason we lost tonight.

#19 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Such a frustrating night, the best team won, and at times our performance was awful, but again we are so near beating the best team in the league.

Despite the previous 70 minutes, i still had the belief that these lads would snatch a draw with a late try! - (even though their drop goal attempt looked good to me)

Their tries were gifts, we made countless errors, gave them 40/20 twice but we ran them close again.

We are so near to the top 4 teams and now expect a strong reaction next Thursday.

#20 Mick Thornton

Mick Thornton
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am a Featherstone supporter and I attended your game last evening. There were many mistakes by both sides not unexpectedly but Sheffield played the conditions better and were a well drilled outfit that on the night just about deserved it. They are the best side that I have seen on all the games I have attended this season and that includes my own lot. They certainly are the team to beat and it will take a good side to stop them winning the NRC, the league title and retaining the Championship title.
As for referees in the Championship the standard falls well short of what is required IMO.
M.J.Thornton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users