Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referee's performance after tonight's game...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I thought it was a very negative decision to kick that penalty. You still needed two scores to win - albeit one would have got you a draw - and you cut the risk of losing your bonus point. With twelve minutes to go, you needed a try.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I thought it was a very negative decision to kick that penalty. You still needed two scores to win - albeit one would have got you a draw - and you cut the risk of losing your bonus point. With twelve minutes to go, you needed a try.

Disagree, at 14-6 , you score again we have to score THREE times, at 14-8 you score again and we have STILL have a bonus point.
We never looked like scoring second half and actually didn't deserve a bonus point , so for me it was the correct--albeit negative ---decision.
WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Disagree, at 14-6 , you score again we have to score THREE times, at 14-8 you score again and we have STILL have a bonus point.
We never looked like scoring second half and actually didn't deserve a bonus point , so for me it was the correct--albeit negative ---decision.

Jeez - how depressing is that ?

#24 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Jeez - how depressing is that ?

I actually did agree with you, saying it was a negative tactic, if you read the post again, I was just pointing out why they did it.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#25 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

There was over 10 minutes to go when Batley kicked the penalty so for me it was the right decision. The problem was in the last 10 minutes Batley continued with the same one man rugby that had not worked for the previous 70 minutes.I agree with other posts that Batley's defence and fitness is good but with ball in hand we where poor (even allowing for the wet conditions). Sheffield's kicking game was also better than Batley's.

Edited by bulldogtrev, 21 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I actually did agree with you, saying it was a negative tactic, if you read the post again, I was just pointing out why they did it.

I know you did - even though you confusingly started your post with "Disagree". That's what I think is depressing. Supporters are generally so much more optimistic than coaches.

Edited by Griff, 21 June 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#27 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

I think to say the referee is a cheat is going way too far. I do not believe he is upto the job though. The stripping the ball rule is a mess. I thought last night that a lot of the lost ball was due to an arm or hand in there and the ref choice to give a knock on. To be honest I think it should be a knock on, the player with the ball should look after it. 

I too could not see where Byron had knocked on at the PTB, despite a slow mo replay on Premier, nor was the pass forward, but these things happen in a game. What worried me about the referee's performance was that he again failed to play the advantage from a knock on, similar to the Fev game, and he failed to see the Eagles' drop goal. How he missed that I do not know, Add in the touch judge not seeing the kick go into touch on the full and we have a comedy of errors.

I am not sure I agree with the doom and gloom merchants on here. We lost to a good side, the defending Champions, but we lost because of two freak tries. The one on one with Potts was a great piece of work from Walker(?) but is unllikely to happen once in 50 games. The other, in the second half was bizarre, why drag him towards the line? Two tries gifted to Sheffield, 10 points given away.

Lets move on and get behind the lads at Leigh, who knows our revenge waiting at Halifax.

#28 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Lets just hope he's a very rare face at the mount now on...

#29 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Seen the video, try for me.

#30 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I will agree we faced a really good Sheffield side,they play very fast,but we didn't lose by much,some penalties ref gave we didn't get in same circumstances,I counted 3 times markers not square no penalty,we was penalised for holding shirt down in tackle,we maybe biased as batley fans but it really annoys me when Ref don't see both ways and linesmen are useless miss right in front of them

#31 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

But let's not get too downhearted still in top 4,Sheffield are a good team,we win some we lose some,but we played really well against Workington so lets not start saying this player and that player are not pulling their weight,just get behind the lads,next week these players will be Hero's again

#32 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Moderating note:

4 posts deleted.  Thank you to the reasonable posters who have pointed out repeatedly on this thread that the referee was not a cheat, it really does you lot credit.  1 member who would not listen and insisted on calling the referee a cheat has been suspended from the forum.

It is never acceptable to call the referee a cheat on this forum.  You can question his competence all night if you want as that's your call but it is never acceptable to imply dishonesty.  It is one of the few offences that will get an immediate suspension or ban on this forum without prior warning.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#33 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Moderating note:

Sorry about that... 2 more posts deleted, my fault, I must have not saved the suspension properly.

For the avoidance of doubt, we will never allow dishonesty allegations against referees on this forum unless one of these conditions is met:

1.  You get prior permission from John Drake, you can send him a PM asking him for that permission.  You will have to provide all evidence you have and even then you're more likely to win a free flight to Mars than get this permission.

2.  You provide proof from a credible media source.  Facebook is never a credible media source, a national newspaper is a credible media source.

3.  There is a court conviction or RFL statement about it and even then you accept their verdict as given.

If you have none of those conditions met and post anyway then you will get a minimum of a suspension for a first offence and we'll give an outright ban for second offences or first offences that are seriously libellous.

I have never seen a dishonest referee in over three decades of being a rugby league fan and player; I have seen plenty of poor and incompetent ones but then that's a different story altogether.

Even with all of that, TRL does not have the legal defence funds of a national newspaper or Private Eye to defend libellous rantings by posters.  The libel laws are fairly clear, if we see it and allow it to stay on the forum then TRL can be brought into a libel suit as a publisher; I won't jeopardise the employment of everyone who works at TRL just to allow someone to have a frothy mouthed rant.

If that still doesn't stop you from wanting to post libellous rants then there are other forums out there that may be daft enough to allow you to do it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

There were Aussie referees in the 50's and 60's who might have stretched your tolerance, but none nowadays.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users