http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-23004956

Too harsh?

Fides invicta triumphat

#2 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Probably not in the overall context but I think so comparing to what Stuart Hall got.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Not going to condone teachers doing a runner with pupils but I think words like paedophile are unsuitable here. Not sure its unfair as he knew it was wrong from the off. The problem is that everyone will now compare it with Halls sentence for actual paedophilia.

#4 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Certainly puts Stuart Hall's sentence into perspective. I guess they have to come down hard on teachers due to their position of trust

Edit for John's comment above.  From a legal perspective it is comparable to Stuart Hall and that's why it's relevant

Edited by MikeW, 21 June 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Not going to condone teachers doing a runner with pupils but I think words like paedophile are unsuitable here. Not sure its unfair as he knew it was wrong from the off. The problem is that everyone will now compare it with Halls sentence for actual paedophilia.

Forrest has admitted to five counts of sexual activity with a child, so it wasn't just running off together.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Forrest has admitted to five counts of sexual activity with a child, so it wasn't just running off together.

Maybe so, and I aren't for one second saying it's ok. But there is a huge difference between a paedophile like Hall and a bloke who falls for a 15 year old girl......IYSWIM

Not that I am saying he has been badly done to, no.

Edited by Johnoco, 21 June 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#7 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'd be interested to know what the sentence would have been if he hadn't buggered off to France with her.

#8 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

did bill wyman ever do jail for mandy smith?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

My initial thoughts were it was harsh especially compared to Hall's sentence but it seems on a par with similar incidents. Forrest was incredibly stupid and should have never taken advantage of his position of authority over a 15 year old girl but I don't think his crime was as malicious as Hall's.
Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

My initial thoughts were it was harsh especially compared to Hall's sentence but it seems on a par with similar incidents. Forrest was incredibly stupid and should have never taken advantage of his position of authority over a 15 year old girl but I don't think his crime was as malicious as Hall's.

I agree. He deserves his punishment but it highlights how pathetic Halls sentence is.

#11 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

I agree. He deserves his punishment but it highlights how pathetic Halls sentence is.

the children in the hall case were young and had no choice , the "very grown up " young adult knew what was going on- the law is an ass!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

the children in the hall case were young and had no choice , the "very grown up " young adult knew what was going on- the law is an ass!

So the girl is to blame for the teacher's downfall?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

So the girl is to blame for the teacher's downfall?

no-he is to blame- but the sentencing is all wrong

#14 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

At least I think she thought she knew what was going on. It is extremely common for young girls to develop crushes on teachers and teachers should not take advantage of this. She may wait until he is released and then start a life long relationship with him, or she may regret it for the rest of her life. Either way as far as the law is concerned I don't know why Forrest didn't just wait until she was 16. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,678 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

More or less comparable with what Ched Evans got.

Evans must feel even more aggrieved.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

A horny teenage pupil comes not a teacher he obliges (like most would) ad he gets 5 half yr in jail I for one are shocked by this every teachers dream ain't it??? So I was told recently

#17 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

A horny teenage pupil comes onto a teacher he obliges (like most would) ad he gets 5 half yr in jail I for one are shocked by this is every teachers dream ain't it??? So I was told recently

#18 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

A horny teenage pupil comes not a teacher he obliges (like most would) ad he gets 5 half yr in jail I for one are shocked by this every teachers dream ain't it??? So I was told recently

Whoever told you that, I hope he isn't a teacher or he qualified the statement considerably. It might flatter your ego for a minute or two, but it would very rapidly turn into a nightmare.

Relationships between teachers and students are, rightly, unacceptable. Even if the student is over 16, I think the teacher might be breaking the law and he/she would certainly lose their job if discovered.

In this case, there is some minor mitigation. If the girl really threatened suicide, he might have felt under pressure to go along with her, but he crossed the line long before that and he deserves everything he gets. All this sentence does is highlight the leniency afforded to Hall.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#19 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I know the students I teach are adults but I have never (and would never) take up an offer from a student. You would be surprised how often it happens, it must be something about the instructor/student relationship. Teachers are in a trusted position and shouldn't abuse that trust. However two of my colleagues are married to ex students and another seems to have a line in banging ex students (I stress the ex).
Fides invicta triumphat

#20 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

That's been my issue with the handling of the case, Forrest has done wrong, but he's no paedophile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users