Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

If you won the lottery

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Just having this chat at work (based on winning millions) what would you do if anything for Rugby League

I would become a secret investor in my local club (Halifax),

What would you do

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

If I win the £141m tonight I'm buying the RFL.

Posted Image

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Dunno how you'd be a secret investor. Someone would need to know.

How many millions are in the budget ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

If I won the Euromillions, I'd use all the interest acquired to buy ever single amateur club a plot of land to build and develop their own facilities. I'd also finance good prospects from RLEF nations to come and play in the UK.

With the main winnings, I'd help fund the Development Officer programme in return for Wood and Rimmer resigning and giving me a place on the Board!

I wouldn't do much professionally other than help with finances at the likes of Gateshead and the Scorpions.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#5 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I would build a clubhouse overlooking the pitch, with hospitality boxes, at Eccles ARLFC and make the site of the current club house the car park. I would make sure that we catered well for the RL and RU supporters who currently help our club when using our car park as they visit the Salford stadium. I would build a small stand to keep our small but loyal band of supporters out of the elements. I would build a house for, and employ a caretaker/groundsman. We would have a training barn, all weather training pitch and state of the art gym and we would hire these facilities out to the public, because I would still want the club to run its self rather than rely on my hand outs, after my initial investment. I would NOT pay any players but the Christmas parties and end of season trips and awards nights would be something extra special and enough of an enticement for good players. I would look into making the ground fit enough to satisfy the RFL that possibly Swinton could play there. Swinton supporters, not the club, have helped Eccles in the past with adverts in our programme and donations to send our players on tours, and I don't forget that. Other than that I have not given the rest of RL much thought!

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Just having this chat at work (based on winning millions) what would you do if anything for Rugby League

I would become a secret investor in my local club (Halifax),

What would you do

I'd sponsor the Coliseum at St Albans for the next x years!

All of my close friends and family's debts will be paid off, too

Edited by brooza, 21 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

If I win the £141m tonight I'm buying the RFL.

Another rollover? Might have to play again!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

If I won the Euromillions, I'd use all the interest acquired to buy ever single amateur club a plot of land to build and develop their own facilities. I'd also finance good prospects from RLEF nations to come and play in the UK.

With the main winnings, I'd help fund the Development Officer programme in return for Wood and Rimmer resigning and giving me a place on the Board!

I wouldn't do much professionally other than help with finances at the likes of Gateshead and the Scorpions.

Pretty close to what I'd do - apart from I'd also consider funding an elite academy with top of the range facilities for ages 11-21 prospects to be fully educated, whilst training for RL careers - kind of like the French youth football facility.

Edited by giwildgo, 21 June 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'd put aside 1 million for the London Broncos to be used on purely promoting the club over a 4 year period, so effectively a marketing and PR budget of £250,000 a year. they would however be forced to adopt my new ideas for a re-branding of the club. I don't think id be qualified to run a club, so wouldn't buy one., but i would invest and sit on the board or something..  I'd also put a couple of mil into funding development officers etc in London and the south-east.

I'd also purchase the ground where the Newham Dockers currently play and turn it into something special for rugby league in east London.

I'd also put aside a few mil (spread over a number of years) to be used to bring international sides to this country and for our junior and amateur touring teams to go overseas.

I'd also part fund an RFL marketing team and Chief exec with some real talent.

Hopefully after a couple of years of being a multi millionaire i would have made more millions and could then re-invest in the following years..!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'd move to the City of Wells and start my own SL franchise called the Wells Angels.
Posted Image

#11 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Buy Oldham RLFC build them a nice little ground and rid them of Hamiltonitis forever. Plus offer £1m for a Lancs v Yorks winner takes all aggregate shootout.

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'd move to the City of Wells and start my own SL franchise called the Wells Angels.

All's Wells that ends Wells.

Edited by deluded pom?, 21 June 2013 - 04:29 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Emigrate to Sydney so I can surf a lot more in warmer weather and watch as many games of Rugby League as humanly possible!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#14 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I would have a stab at producing some kind of reality tv series centred around rugby league, maybe along the lines of the ultimate fighter in the UFC.

Also I always had this wild idea of putting on an indoor rugby league game at the 02 or some other indoor arena , maybe splash the cash and get a few NRL anf union players involved for publicity. To get the punters in I would put on a few rock bands at half time, fireworks, pyros etc and make it all glitzy and edgey Maybe call it Rugby League rocks :).

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Do a Koukash and have stables, that way you'd also be horse 'n Wells...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'd buy my club, either renovate or build a new ground. Then i'd try to get everone else's best players, knowing full well i haven't got a hope in hell of signing them.
Then (even though i have no experirnce of running a rugby league club) I'd tell the RFL that i'm going to disregard every rule they have surrounding the salary cap and pay any player daft or greedy enough to join, any amount i like.
I'd then appoint a new coach and undermine him in the dressing room at half and full time, after yet another huge defeat.

Sounds fun, can't wait to get started. Still it's all fantasy!

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'd buy my club, either renovate or build a new ground. Then i'd try to get everone else's best players, knowing full well i haven't got a hope in hell of signing them.
Then (even though i have no experirnce of running a rugby league club) I'd tell the RFL that i'm going to disregard every rule they have surrounding the salary cap and pay any player daft or greedy enough to join, any amount i like.
I'd then appoint a new coach and undermine him in the dressing room at half and full time, after yet another huge defeat.

Sounds fun, can't wait to get started. Still it's all fantasy!

Certainly the bit about a new ground...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Well i'd certainly put money into RL before putting it into footy.

#19 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Bug ger off to vancouver and sponsor the fledgling RL scene there.
Lyn valley rovers..... I think that has a ring to it!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#20 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'd pay Steve mac off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users