TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet away

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#81 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Seems a perfectly reasonable stance to me Phil.

#82 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I watched my first match this season yesterday and enjoyed it! The team played well and very nearly nilled the opposition on their own ground! You can only watch the team who are put in front of you on any given day and yesterdays team were representing Swinton!

#83 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Oh and I'd like a few people to remember I said

HARVEY IS CLASS!

Hes put in a peformance Mark, il agree, but hes got a bit more convincing to do for me ;)  after all Hunslet were pretty poor. Lets hope he can do the same to Keighley! If he plays a big role in us battering them he will be a hero in my eyes.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#84 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I almost 100% agreed with Philh in the last post - Just could have been toned down with less inflamatory "statistics". Is the 50% "drawn from" warrington a key statistic?

Where do you draw the line "statistically" speaking? Had it been 45% or 35% or 25% would that then have been a "true" Swinton side? - I guess not, so the statistic used was merely to try justify the opinion or undermine that of others. Could also have used over 40% of the team (17), or 11% of the points scored or even more controversial (including Penny, Harvey in the Warrington connection) call it nearly 70% of the starting line up.

Anyway, Phil's opininion is valid as it stands - no needs for such spurious statistics.

As for me, if they pull on the Swinton shirt and Swinton stands as an independent club within the league then that will do for me .....for now.

T&C's

- I reserve the right to change my mind and observe the right of others to change theirs;

- Only I decide what I think;

- When events or facts I am aware of change, I change my mind - What do you do?

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#85 mike the lion

mike the lion
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

As PhilH does not attend Swnton Lions matches then his posts (in my view) are not creditable.Its like someone who does not attend meetings having views on the debates within those meetings.

I for one,deliberately ignore his posts

#86 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ditto

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#87 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I honestly believe that Phill is a intelligent guy who puts a lot of thought into his posts and in my opinion he is entitled to visit our forum and post his comments, but what his posts do confirm to me is that he does not have the passion for Rugby League and Swinton Lions that I and others have - in my case this passion needs feeding by watching Rugby League and Swinton Lions

#88 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

As PhilH does not attend Swnton Lions matches then his posts (in my view) are not creditable.Its like someone who does not attend meetings having views on the debates within those meetings.

I for one,deliberately ignore his posts

Good post Mike.

Well done to your team yesterday, you tackled us out of the game simple as that, 

We were very poor yesterday, that's very poor with no Leeds players in apart from Watson who was from Leeds who we have signed from Leeds permanently.

I don't care how many Leeds players we use as long as we stop up in this league.We don't have the money to buy  players.  You should think the same  because if we go down, it could finish off our clubs altogether. Were just lucky we D/Reg with two top teams , that's why a lot of the other teams supporters get jealous.

As for the people on your forum posting who don't go to games, it's like reviewing a film you have not seen.

#89 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Good post Mike.
Well done to your team yesterday, you tackled us out of the game simple as that,
We were very poor yesterday, that's very poor with no Leeds players in apart from Watson who was from Leeds who we have signed from Leeds permanently.

I don't care how many Leeds players we use as long as we stop up in this league.We don't have the money to buy players. You should think the same because if we go down, it could finish off our clubs altogether. Were just lucky we D/Reg with two top teams , that's why a lot of the other teams supporters get jealous.

As for the people on your forum posting who don't go to games, it's like reviewing a film you have not seen.

Spot on top post.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#90 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Good post Mike.

I don't care how many Leeds players we use as long as we stop up in this league.We don't have the money to buy players. You should think the same because if we go down, it could finish off our clubs altogether. Were just lucky we D/Reg with two top teams , that's why a lot of the other teams supporters get jealous.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you at this point of the season. I would have preferred to have used a larger majority of our own players throughout the season but right this minute I will settle for wins however they come.

Next season is a horse of a different colour!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#91 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree with you at this point of the season. I would have preferred to have used a larger majority of our own players throughout the season but right this minute I will settle for wins however they come.

Next season is a horse of a different colour!

As long as that horse is not owned by Marvin the Cash Cow!!! :spruceup: 

#92 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

As long as that horse is not owned by Marvin the Cash Cow!!! :spruceup:

He's got enough chaval on his plate at the moment!

#93 Woodlesford Hawk

Woodlesford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Especially when Richard Moore has regularly played for them. There has been suggestions of booing a player on here.....how ridiculous.
In all honesty I have to agree DR hasn't assisted us at all but for a season we are stuck with it and so long as 13 Swinton shirts are on a field of play I will watch them
Not so long ago many Utd fans were unhappy at the Glaziers purchase of Utd, they didn't stop going they protested with a different colour shirt.
Those stayaway fans of ours would be better voicing opinions at the games or are you happy to see the club die.

Firstly got to say you played very well yesterday and could have beaten us by a far greater margin.

I do have to correct you over Moore though, far from playing regularly for us, he has actually started just two games and come off the bench on 3 occasions out of a possible 20 games.

we had no Leeds players playing yesterday due to Leeds Injury crisis. Just shows where we would be without the DR guys that have improved us this season. ideally all our teams would use their own players but when we can only attract 500 per week and no benefactor were not going to improve the squad enough to be able to compete with the wealthier clubs in our league. 

#94 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Firstly got to say you played very well yesterday and could have beaten us by a far greater margin.
I do have to correct you over Moore though, far from playing regularly for us, he has actually started just two games and come off the bench on 3 occasions out of a possible 20 games.
we had no Leeds players playing yesterday due to Leeds Injury crisis. Just shows where we would be without the DR guys that have improved us this season. ideally all our teams would use their own players but when we can only attract 500 per week and no benefactor were not going to improve the squad enough to be able to compete with the wealthier clubs in our league.

Thanks for the correction but the point was made due to Swinton potentially using Chris Bridge which didn't materialise.

#95 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm not necessarily defending Phil here, as (1) i don't always agree with him anyway, and (2) he doesn't need me to speak up for him. BUT I will defend the right to free speech. Anyone who spends as much time as he does writing stuff on this forum must have an interest in the club and the community. Okay he's not currently attending games, but that said he has given personal reasons for this stance. Now as for me I do attend games, home and away, so hopefully I'm allowed to state my opinion on this!

#96 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm not necessarily defending Phil here, as (1) i don't always agree with him anyway, and (2) he doesn't need me to speak up for him. BUT I will defend the right to free speech. Anyone who spends as much time as he does writing stuff on this forum must have an interest in the club and the community. Okay he's not currently attending games, but that said he has given personal reasons for this stance. Now as for me I do attend games, home and away, so hopefully I'm allowed to state my opinion on this!

No issue with that Steve, just when I'm told my opinion is wrong and I wear blinkers or I am blind etc etc and other people's opinions are fact without substance!

#97 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

I think its sad and deplorable that every single blooming thread becomes a discussion on Phils human rights
Every single topic becomes the same argument.
There is only one club for us that matters and I don't honestly think he needs to raise the same opinion on every occasion on every subject which surrounds that club.
WE the fans are Swinton RLFC. And I for one don't need reminding every day how bad DR is how bad our administration is how sad we are for following US!

Sorry if thats too strong but its spoiling every discussion. Its pointless divisive and really really annoying.
The bloke is obviously hugely talented thoughtful and intuitive. Put it to better use.

#98 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Ok Mark fair enough and I promise this is my last word on the subject. It's just that as fans we can be a little insular, and sometimes opinions from whatever outside source can help develop a debate in a wider perspective. Fact is there's probably only about 250 of us left and THAT is a worry. If we're haemorrhaging fans we need to ask them why. Any business must learn from its lost customers. Clearly there's something fundamentally wrong, and if we ever reach the day when Spelly is left to debate with himself it's no good him saying "well I'm a loyal fan". Ok I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift.

#99 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

The club in truth has been a non-entity for the majority of Swinton and Pendlebury residents for a considerable number of years now - that in itself is pretty tragic and to rebuild things is a massive challenge.  If the day comes when the powers that be demonstrate they truly want to tackle that challenge I shall be glad to contribute, 

The club, as we all know, has very sadly failed to maintain its relationship with its patrons, the residents of Swinton & Pendlebury, since the demise of Station Road. Whether or not it has learned from this very basic mistake, steps must be taken without further delay to begin the long task of repairing the damage before it gets even worse.

If the club itself feels unable, or unwilling, to attempt this worthwhile move, for heaven’s sake let some other 'branch' of the Lions 'family' do so on their (and our) behalf. Perhaps this is an opportunity where the supporters' trust could step in to organise such necessary work and bring those much needed supporters together again with our historic and once glorious rugby club. 

:yahoo:

#100 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Ok Mark fair enough and I promise this is my last word on the subject. It's just that as fans we can be a little insular, and sometimes opinions from whatever outside source can help develop a debate in a wider perspective. Fact is there's probably only about 250 of us left and THAT is a worry. If we're haemorrhaging fans we need to ask them why. Any business must learn from its lost customers. Clearly there's something fundamentally wrong, and if we ever reach the day when Spelly is left to debate with himself it's no good him saying "well I'm a loyal fan". Ok I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift.

To be fair Steve, I think the majority of people agree with Phil's comments. People want to see a 100% Swinton team (With the most 4 DR/U21) players. People want to see progress with Agecroft and people want better communication from the club...etc etc.

One less person watching the Lions of a Sunday will not help matters, fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users