Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

All this Lions Union Hype

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

talk about bias towards yawnion, all i hear on the sky sports, bbc, talksport radio is Lions this, Lions that, we,ll be lucky to get half a page in the daily newspapers if we sent a team across, come on the Aussies kick more penalties and win the game...

Posted Image

#2 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

watching cas v hull tonight was more entertaining than that dull sport could ever give

#3 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Do you actually watch the games as there is quite a lot of passing involved. Union is very similar to league in the 1960's pre 4 tackle rule. There is a lot of kicking etc, but there is a lot in league too, except that's more stereoptyped, i.e. 5 drives and a kick! Teams at union don't score 7 tries and lose a game whereas they can at league. When you go to the cinema and see an action film like Rambo, there is not 90 minutes of action, the action is dipersed throughout like union. 100% action is boring and scoring 7 tries in games 44-36 is not my cup of tea. Tries are too cheap at league! By the way, I am not suggesting union is better than league, but it is a lot better than you make out with some excellent passing moves and flying wingmen.

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#4 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Do you actually watch the games as there is quite a lot of passing involved. Union is very similar to league in the 1960's pre 4 tackle rule. There is a lot of kicking etc, but there is a lot in league too, except that's more stereoptyped, i.e. 5 drives and a kick! Teams at union don't score 7 tries and lose a game whereas they can at league. When you go to the cinema and see an action film like Rambo, there is not 90 minutes of action, the action is dipersed throughout like union. 100% action is boring and scoring 7 tries in games 44-36 is not my cup of tea. Tries are too cheap at league! By the way, I am not suggesting union is better than league, but it is a lot better than you make out with some excellent passing moves and flying wingmen.

ye and attendances are way above league speaks volumes for hype steve

Edited by blackhawk, 25 June 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#5 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, how on earth do people want to watch a goalkicking contest???

Posted Image

#6 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, how on earth do people want to watch a goalkicking contest???

thought u wnted see a kicking game steve what more can u ask for,

#7 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

This season is the most kicking I have seen in league.
Someone knocks on, so the opposition picks the ball up kicks it downfield clapping their hands while everyone is chasing after the ball like 5 year olds.

Then the play is stopped and dragged back 50 yards. I thought league was a free flowing game.

#8 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

What I think you have seen gabby is games involving New Zealand. To be honest this is the only team in Union what could excite me , as they play the game like ours. No-one else does this in the union game, as KOL says all the rest are kick and clap.

#9 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

What I think you have seen gabby is games involving New Zealand. To be honest this is the only team in Union what could excite me , as they play the game like ours. No-one else does this in the union game, as KOL says all the rest are kick and clap.

No actually I do watch a few games of union. Internationals are not a true test but the match I watched just after my original posting there was only one kick [apart from penalties to touch as league sides do] in the first 26 minutes. That kick was  a grubber near the line as league sides would do, so I saw little difference.

#10 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Have watched many Union Internationals to try and give the game a chance of me liking it,only when no League on TV at the time.

Can't say I have seen club matches in Union, had enough of watching their International teams. 

What I do see is a whistle happy referees in Union stopping the game every five minutes, to give free kicks for god knows what.

Then it's usually a kick at goal. Too boring a game for me, as I said apart from New Zealand, who play it like league.

#11 pooliehawk

pooliehawk
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I cant watch it,hate union rugby, the hype from bbc, sky a newspapers is crazy, wouldn't it be great if they just gave,league just a little bit of that publicity.

we will never get the coverage like union, because its a posh mans rugby, run by posh #####, were league is a working mams rugby..

#12 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Have watched many Union Internationals to try and give the game a chance of me liking it,only when no League on TV at the time.

Can't say I have seen club matches in Union, had enough of watching their International teams. 

What I do see is a whistle happy referees in Union stopping the game every five minutes, to give free kicks for god knows what.

Then it's usually a kick at goal. Too boring a game for me, as I said apart from New Zealand, who play it like league.

Wales play good rugby too!