Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#1 Historical value

Historical value
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

It is my belief, that the RL believe that the amateur clubs, can survive without successful, senior sections and produce a constant , flow of juniors for the sacred cow, the super league, that keeps them in jobs. But in reality is that, with the introduction ot the summer ncl, droves of players and ex players, and spectators have deserted the game. The buzz has gone, it's boring, same, tactics robotically, dare I say, it's like American football. We had the barla cup, it was the highlight of the season, it pitched the elitist ncl against the barbaric, so called pub sides, but what great memorable games it produced, a small scale type of origin. Please wake up you top amateur clubs, and fight back against the rl bullies. I recently spoke to one of the community board, and I told him the financial situation at our club, he said what subs do your players pay, it is not a lot, but in winter we made money, so we didn't have to penalise our players, parents and members, it was self sufficient. His way forward was to direct debit all there members at £10 a month,
Just look at the results in the conference, it's a joke, a win by 50 points one week lose by 50 points the next, half the team on holiday, please come to your senses, talk. The RFL has never done anything for the amateur game, and never has. That was why barla was formed, anybody who was around then, will tell you, the game was at deaths door, and it's heading there again.

#2 The Dog Walker

The Dog Walker
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

All wise words from what I have seen while watching the open age games across the country. Who though is going to stand up and be counted to save the game a lot of people love, will any person have records of the number of players leaving the game and more important volunteers who make a lot of things happen.

#3 Historical value

Historical value
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yes who will stand up, when we are told what a great success summer rugby is, I used to watch the pro game, but not any more, and loads of people have turned there backs on the game, joe Stalin told his people how well off they were, while they starved. Modern managers don't listen, they crush anyone, who dares to disagree with them.

#4 kaykie

kaykie
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Wonder if its worth trying to start the season in November through to end of June so it frees up weeks in July and August for ur stag dos, holidays ect because like u said alot of clubs are losing money and summer rugby isn't working if u look at the amount of 2nd team games being called off because half of the teams lads are helping the 1st team out

#5 fatbirdsneedlovintoo

fatbirdsneedlovintoo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Wonder if its worth trying to start the season in November through to end of June so it frees up weeks in July and August for ur stag dos, holidays ect because like u said alot of clubs are losing money and summer rugby isn't working if u look at the amount of 2nd team games being called off because half of the teams lads are helping the 1st team out

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

Can we have just one thread about the state of the game rather than a new one every week?

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

The Rfl said it would have a review on the summer switch after 3 years . That review must be in depth just as the switch to summer was . I was all for the switch , it does have problems that they and I did not foresee . The game itself needs sorting out from top to bottom . Barla did not help themselves and if the right people would have been in charge then they would have been a good alternative . Looking from the outside in as I do these days it don't look good

#8 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

It is my belief, that the RL believe that the amateur clubs, can survive without successful, senior sections and produce a constant , flow of juniors for the sacred cow, the super league, that keeps them in jobs. But in reality is that, with the introduction ot the summer ncl, droves of players and ex players, and spectators have deserted the game.

Quite simple HV during the Maurice Lindsay era (best to be forgotten) the RFL approached Sport England for funding and were asked where their youth/development policy was. They didn't have one so they went out and stole one with unification.

Now the RFL give less than a hoot about the lopsided alternating results in open age rugby, just as long as they keep getting the funding to find the top players.

#9 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Can we have just one thread about the state of the game rather than a new one every week?

If we're getting one a week Pom Pom, would you say that everything is rosey?

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

If we're getting one a week Pom Pom, would you say that everything is rosey?

Everyone has their own opinion on that one Dev. But do we really need a new thread every time someone is unhappy with summer rugby?

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Everyone has their own opinion on that one Dev. But do we really need a new thread every time someone is unhappy with summer rugby?

You said it Pom Pom everyone has their own opinion and it seems that people are expressing theirs on a weekly basis. 

#12 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

You said it Pom Pom everyone has their own opinion and it seems that people are expressing theirs on a weekly basis. 

More or less the same people week after week saying summer rugby is no good. Deluded Pom is right yes everybody as there own opinion, History tells me that in most case people who don't like something complain people who like something don't express their views. But saying that I am concerned about the youth game with the switch to summer we are in contest with the academy game which takes away above average players to make up their squads when the youth game was winter that didn't happen the problem with that is that the players are not at the junior clubs and that's where we are losing the continuity of our player coming into the open age. past history shows that a lot of these players once the pro clubs have let them down they do not return to their junior clubs also the players that are not taken by the pro clubs generally there is not enough player left to get a team a together so they are also lost to the game. My Own view is summer is better for both playing and watching and also for our club better for player numbers and finance but I am not daft enough to think that every club is the same. if summer rugby is to stay it does need a overall ie summer break maybe have that as the teir 3 cup where teams can enter or not. 

Edited by old papa, 22 June 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

History tells me that in most case people who don't like something complain people who like something don't express their views.

Maybe it's a bit like the UK where the vocal minority get their way more than the silent majority, or maybe not.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Maybe it's a bit like the UK where the vocal minority get their way more than the silent majority, or maybe not.

I've always found that in the UK people are allowed and do quite often voice their opinions, is your objection because the opinions that are being sounded are not agreeable to you Pom Pom.

With your objections are you not putting yourself in the vocal minority bracket.

#15 Sid Hall

Sid Hall
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I for one think the amateur game is on a down hill spiral. Looking as a supporter of Siddal, the gates are down in summer, the side is never the same each week due to other commitments & it just not as exciting as it once was. I agree with the earlier post those BARLA cup ties down Chevinedge were fantastic, this NCL challenge cup just doesn't have the same appeal.
Personally the open age game needs to go back to winter. Why don't BARLA wake up & offer these clubs the option, I'm sure you'll get some takers.

#16 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

More or less the same people week after week saying summer rugby is no good. Deluded Pom is right yes everybody as there own opinion, History tells me that in most case people who don't like something complain people who like something don't express their views. But saying that I am concerned about the youth game with the switch to summer we are in contest with the academy game which takes away above average players to make up their squads when the youth game was winter that didn't happen the problem with that is that the players are not at the junior clubs and that's where we are losing the continuity of our player coming into the open age. past history shows that a lot of these players once the pro clubs have let them down they do not return to their junior clubs also the players that are not taken by the pro clubs generally there is not enough player left to get a team a together so they are also lost to the game. My Own view is summer is better for both playing and watching and also for our club better for player numbers and finance but I am not daft enough to think that every club is the same. if summer rugby is to stay it does need a overall ie summer break maybe have that as the teir 3 cup where teams can enter or not. 

Good balanced outlook Old Papa which is respectful to different views than your own.

I'm pretty new to the forums and this is the first time that I've commented on the Summer/Winter jobbie. Maybe I've sat with Pom Pom's silent majority for much too long. However you point out the problems in the youth game which I feel will escalate and I disagree when you say that the youth game is in contest with the academies, I feel that the academies are paramount to the selfish RFL who just don't give a stuff about the less than average players who they have no need for. This indeed results in drop off and loses dozens of young players to the game.

The RFL need to realise that not every player has aspirations to be the next big thing in the professional game, some in fact play in amateur rugby league because they enjoy the game and things that come with it. By default this does unearth the gems who we see week in week, out on our TV screens or from the terraces, but for every Sam Tompkins I would bet that there are 1,000 who won't/don't want to reach the summit.

It's pleasing to hear that your club's finances have not suffered with the summer switch and that the players and spectators  are embracing the move but as you say not every club is the same. But without questioning your intelligence, I feel that you are introducing a comic element suggesting that there should be a summer break in summer rugby.

Track back a couple of years my friend to where the games was then; we had very little problems with youth/academies, we did have a significant pool of players to draw on with just the occasional distraction/wedding etc. the clubhouses were utilised fully through the dark months and of course we had a summer break.

#17 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

For me i think there are several key issues affecting the amateur game, i was an advocate of summer when we first went to it and still broadly support the idea, although i think the format may need a little tweaking to assist it going forward, perhaps a break during the factories shutdown in August, or perhaps the leagues could consider cutting the number of teams in the league to 10 or 12 maximum

Maybe the lower 2 leagues of the NCL could be regionalised into an east and west conference this may make it easier for up and coming teams to come through the league and also teams dropping to the league may find it easier to keep their players with less travelling

#18 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I for one think the amateur game is on a down hill spiral. Looking as a supporter of Siddal, the gates are down in summer, the side is never the same each week due to other commitments & it just not as exciting as it once was. I agree with the earlier post those BARLA cup ties down Chevinedge were fantastic, this NCL challenge cup just doesn't have the same appeal.
Personally the open age game needs to go back to winter. Why don't BARLA wake up & offer these clubs the option, I'm sure you'll get some takers.

Sad but true Sid, the game is on a slide but that was evident before the summer switch wich in truth has not helped eliviate the situation one bit.

Not wanting to harp on about how good it was in those days (4 years ago) but what an occasion the semi final v Queens at Chevin Edge in 2009. I was lucky enough to be amongst the 1,000 plus spectators that day which saw Siddal put the mighty Queens out of the cup at the pen-ultimate stage. It certainly was standing room only in the clubhouse after the game which had everything.

From that Siddal went on to beat Wigan St Cuthberts at Fylde which was then and since has been described by the Siddal Chairman as the club's biggest acheivement.

And how Siddal were pilloried by sections of the game for daring to enter a team in the 2011/12 BARLA National cup which ultimately cost them dear after the Leigh Miners game.

I agree with you Sid the open age game does belong in winter, but it is up to the clubs to make their feelings known to the management of their particular leagues. If that fails then I'm sure a collective knock on BARLA's door would give the clubs what they desire.

#19 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

For me i think there are several key issues affecting the amateur game, i was an advocate of summer when we first went to it and still broadly support the idea, although i think the format may need a little tweaking to assist it going forward, perhaps a break during the factories shutdown in August, or perhaps the leagues could consider cutting the number of teams in the league to 10 or 12 maximum

Maybe the lower 2 leagues of the NCL could be regionalised into an east and west conference this may make it easier for up and coming teams to come through the league and also teams dropping to the league may find it easier to keep their players with less travelling

Can't knock your support for your beliefs Duke but one of the key issues was moved away from - the break in August. And clubs at the top end have stated that they need 14 teams in a division to make things pay.

As for the East/West Conference scenario doesn't this drop to dare I mention it - regional. By the way, did you know that coach travel is cheaper and more available during the off peak months (winter)

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 05 July 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Shouldn't it be the NCL having the review without the presence or influence of the RFL.

The Rfl said it would have a review on the summer switch after 3 years . That review must be in depth just as the switch to summer was . I was all for the switch , it does have problems that they and I did not foresee . The game itself needs sorting out from top to bottom . Barla did not help themselves and if the right people would have been in charge then they would have been a good alternative . Looking from the outside in as I do these days it don't look good

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users