Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#21 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Shouldn't it be the NCL having the review without the presence or influence of the RFL.

Do you honestly think that the RFL would allow this to happen Marauder?

#22 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not at all :ph34r:  I think it was Larry Holmes who was reported to have said he wouldn't do business in the same room as Don King because King could persuade you to sign anything. 

Does that ring a bell?

Do you honestly think that the RFL would allow this to happen Marauder?

Edited by Marauder, 22 June 2013 - 12:19 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#23 Rolly

Rolly
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Shouldn't it be the NCL having the review without the presence or influence of the RFL.

I understand the question was asked at last years AGM, but the NCL brushed it under the carpet stating that they have signed a 3 year deal. One question when the clubs made the decision to switch to summer was it agreed to go with it for 3 years??? 

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Maybe it's a bit like the UK where the vocal minority get their way more than the silent majority, or maybe not.

I'd go as far and say the best way to judge the silent minority (Who In my 37 years being involved with the amateur game are the players) is look how many players are not committed fully anymore.

#25 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I understand the question was asked at last years AGM, but the NCL brushed it under the carpet stating that they have signed a 3 year deal. One question when the clubs made the decision to switch to summer was it agreed to go with it for 3 years??? 

I fully understand why they went for a 3 year period and I also understand that many clubs are living hand to mouth in these times!

How many clubs could stand three years in the red and could we see the termination of clubs?

#26 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Cumbria ARL held a full review at the end of their first season.

With the problems suffered by most clubs in the first summer season of the NCL it's obvious that somethings did need not only reviewing but urgent attention,

#27 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

The RFL have been quoted in the past as saying that the Regional Leagues can walk away from the MOU/Summer Rugby at anytime if its not working for them, the Regional Leagues state the same, yet we also hear of 3 year terms being agreed to and the requirement to see it out before its reviewed.

Do you ever wonder what the actual truth is, or why if Summer RL is not working League management committees have not suggested to their membership that it could be time for a immediate review or change?

Do you realise that as a sport we have a higher percentage of participation loss over the last 2 years than nearly all other sports in the UK?

Yet still we need to see out a 3 year term before its reviewed?

To prove what exactly would be my question?

It is my belief that if common sense does not prevail within the next 6 months then the damage another Summer season will cause to the amateur game could be irreversible.

#28 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Do you ever wonder what the actual truth is, or why if Summer RL is not working League management committees have not suggested to their membership that it could be time for a immediate review or change?

Do you realise that as a sport we have a higher percentage of participation loss over the last 2 years than nearly all other sports in the UK?

I think that people have stopped looking for honest answer from the RFL some time ago. But I find it hard to believe that our sport has a higher percentage of loss over the last two years than most other UK sports, especially when this mirrors the time in office of a highly paid, "Director of Strategic Partnerships and Participation" coupled to this the promised increase in numbers with the summer switch. 

Surely once the figures are given their usual massage, they will then read as the RFL want them.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 22 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#29 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

There is a marked slide in our game and people have the right to raise concerns ,what cheeses me off is when someone expresses an opinion which is negative towards the switch to summer rugby we get " oh no not a we don't like summer rugby thread " .

The facts are there for all to see participation is down at all levels we are getting more games called off in summer not for weather conditions but due to unavailability of coaches and players.

No more cancelled games was one of the selling points for the switch along with increased participation neither has materialised.

Some one has to have the balls to say we are getting it wrong and put in a corrective action plan to stem the tide .

#30 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

The facts are there for all to see participation is down at all levels we are getting more games called off in summer not for weather conditions but due to unavailability of coaches and players.

Or magic weekends

#31 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Been saying it for the last two seasons, If BARLA can hold it's nerve and give a genuine alternative to summer rugby at the standard required teams will do exactly the same has what the NWC did!

The trickle (The promised chosen few) would turn into a waterfall of followers.

#32 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Been saying it for the last two seasons, If BARLA can hold it's nerve and give a genuine alternative to summer rugby at the standard required teams will do exactly the same has what the NWC did!

The trickle (The promised chosen few) would turn into a waterfall of followers.

If the NCL/RFL were true to their word they would revert back to a traditional season should the summer experiment not produce the required expectations (promises) and there would be no need for a BARLA alternative.

However with the RFL's overall plan demanding a level below championship, to farm and foster the pro players, it is very likely that clubs would need to look else where and BARLA would be quite capable to administer their needs.

#33 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

At the end of the day if summer rugby isn't working then the NCL will revert back to winter. It's in the club's hands to change back to winter and at the moment they are, on the whole, keeping quiet on the matter.

rldfsignature.jpg

#34 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

At the end of the day if summer rugby isn't working then the NCL will revert back to winter. It's in the club's hands to change back to winter and at the moment they are, on the whole, keeping quiet on the matter.

There's been a lot of investment from the RFL directed towards taking the game to summer so I would be very suprised to see the RFL let that go down the pan. That means the NCL or at least part of it would be directed to remain summer to prop up the championship clubs. You must be naive to think that the NCL destiny is in the hands of the management or the clubs.

You're quite correct in saying though Pom Pom that it is in the clubs' hands to revert back to winter. Whether it be with the NCL is very questionable. And maybe on the whole the clubs are keeping quite on the matter but there is a significant amount of noise coming out of the neck of your woods. With several second teams entering in the GMB Hull ARL is a sure sign that their clubs are disgruntled with the summer snatch.

#35 revtype

revtype
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

There's been a lot of investment from the RFL directed towards taking the game to summer so I would be very suprised to see the RFL let that go down the pan. That means the NCL or at least part of it would be directed to remain summer to prop up the championship clubs. You must be naive to think that the NCL destiny is in the hands of the management or the clubs.

You're quite correct in saying though Pom Pom that it is in the clubs' hands to revert back to winter. Whether it be with the NCL is very questionable. And maybe on the whole the clubs are keeping quite on the matter but there is a significant amount of noise coming out of the neck of your woods. With several second teams entering in the GMB Hull ARL is a sure sign that their clubs are disgruntled with the summer snatch.

Was some of that investment directed into the pockets of decision making regional officers ?

#36 Mark Greenwood

Mark Greenwood
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

At the end of the day lets face it the summer rugby isn't working - FACT

Anyone can tell me please tell me the FACTS.

WE all need to stick together & admit we need to revert to winter rugby - FACT.

RFL wake up & sort yourselves out, if not you'll kill our wonderful game before it's too long - FACT

I AM SIDDAL RLFC NO.1 SUB

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

No matter how many times you type it in capital letters Mark none of the things you have highlighted are actually FACTS. Opinions but not facts. That's not to say you're right or wrong either way.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

At the end of the day lets face it the summer rugby isn't working - FACT

Anyone can tell me please tell me the FACTS.

WE all need to stick together & admit we need to revert to winter rugby - FACT.

RFL wake up & sort yourselves out, if not you'll kill our wonderful game before it's too long - FACT

I'm in the same opinion that summer rugby sadly hasn't delivered what was promised and the facts are privy to the RFL/NCL. Clubs do need to act as one and demand some answers and if they are not happy with the direction that they have been taken and the place that they are at, they need to demand action.

But it must be done together or the RFL will either pick the vociferous clubs off one by one, or just simply discard them - in RFL talk that's collateral damage.

#39 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

No matter how many times you type it in capital letters Mark none of the things you have highlighted are actually FACTS. Opinions but not facts. That's not to say you're right or wrong either way.

Take a look at Siddal's bar takings Pom Pom. You will not only see facts but the figures to back them up. In fact have an ask in your own midden to the East of the City and I think that you will find similar answers.

#40 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I believe the RFL had it right around 2004 when they had a short season with divisions of 6 teams.

This allowed none rugby league sportsmen to dip their toes into the game along side any established players who wanted a summer jolly, I don't know the figures regarding participation but I bet it was a lot higher around this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users