RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#381 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I can only speak for the NWC juniors but before the switch to the " RFL SUMMER SEASON " we had year on year steady growth then this season we have seen a 12% drop in participation facts confirmed by the RFL after they reported an almost 20 % growth in our area .

We are getting more games cancelled then in our traditional season due not to weather conditions but to unavailability of players and coaches .

Facts I,m afraid  not fiction .

#382 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Taxi Egg, you are correct, those are the facts from your league and someone at BARLA should be collating all the factual information together to form the basis of a report on the demise of rugby at grass roots level and present the factual report to teh community board and sport england.

Junior rugby league in Cumbria is in a bit of state and has been for several years, but it does seem to be getting worse at the minute at 12 - 16 years of age. The Festivals for mini-mod seem to be working and there is a good healthy participation from non-traditional clubs which may bare fruit in the years to come, but in the short term there is a problem with numbers and everyone has their on ideas on what /where the game went wrong.

Maybe the local leagues should be organising forums with the 12 and 14 year old players, then hold something similar with coaches to try and get their views. the results of any such forum with juniors may be surprising, it could be something as simple as they don't like the game anymore!

One thing is for certain, if nobody bothers to ask, then the powers that be will never know!

#383 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'll be interested to see if anyone from BARLA tries to contact people in the Midlands, and other non-traditional areas, as part of their fact-finding mission.
  • Spidey likes this
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#384 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'll be interested to see if anyone from BARLA tries to contact people in the Midlands, and other non-traditional areas, as part of their fact-finding mission.

One step at a time, there's nothing concrete that a fact finding mission is imminent in the "traditional" areas yet

#385 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

One step at a time, there's nothing concrete that a fact finding mission is imminent in the "traditional" areas yet

Actually I'm not convinced that anyone will do an unbiased one that doesn't aim for the conclusion for which they are looking.

#386 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Tim 2 you should know this and for your information Spidey and Rah Rah ,the RFL the governing body are conducting a full study across all the leagues to determine the impact or otherwise of games cancelled and as to their reasons ,this can not be biased in any way .

Time will tell if the figures are made public.

But I for one would hope we the leagues will be given the results before they are passed to the community board for approval . ;)

#387 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Tim the RFL never contacted one of our players, committee or coaching staff about going to summer when they did their poll's and at that time we where part of the RLC with something like 70 plus players registered.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#388 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Was player participation dropping prior to the switch?

I'm pretty certain that participation levels are dropping at alarming rates in all sports including cricket, football and rugby union. Junior rugby union in Cumbria has hardly any participation at all, so is that the fault of rugby union staying in winter and asking players to train and play in the cold and wet?

Your quote Nev is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier email. All that ever happens on any BARLA related thread on here is to try and have a quick dig and blame everything on the summer switch. I appreciate playing in May, June and July doesn't work in some areas, but it does in others.

So, has BARLA ever consulted the clubs on the state of the game at junior /amateur level?

If they have done, when was the last time?

I'm talking about an in-depth report a well, not just a 'do you want to play in winter or summer question?

The decline in all areas of sport over the last few years has been well documented and recognised. However, when the RFL blindly make a promise to deliver more participation, in their debate for the summer swing, then I believe that they should be held accountable for the acceleration of the appalling decline in numbers, that the summer switch is responsible for.

And how was all this done, on the back of a very highly loaded telephone consultation from which the RFL surprisingly found, "a clear desire to play summer rugby." Well I would hope that the RFL have saved some phone numbers to consult all the "polees" once again and ask, where the hell are they on a Saturday afternoon.

All well and good if the summer switch had done the trick, then hats off to the RFL and Sport England (tax payers') money well spent. I'm sure that the full review of the game when completed will have some highly massaged figures to prop up the RFL's decision to bulldoze the game into summer.  Other than that, I would say that it's only a matter of time before the RFL - especially with the youth game - and are forced to admit that it's just not working.

I think that the open age game up in your neck of the woods mainly answers some of your questions DTTRR, it seems that BARLA simply asked the Cumbrians what they needed for their new league and then delivered. No consultation needed and horror of horrors my friend, their season has successfully leapt the boundaries of the traditional season and now starts with a March kick off.

It seems that the wiley Cumbrians found it fit to poll their clubs and acted on their democratic wishes and moved to where the clubs and more importantly the players, had indicated that they wanted to be. 

And for the record DTTRR, I can remember our club taking part in a BARLA consultation on behalf of my roughly at the same time as the RFL had their phone in. After consultation with the 30 or so players we have, our club, along with the other 80% of the clubs that took part opted to remain and still are, playing in a traditional season.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 16 July 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#389 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Tim 2 you should know this and for your information Spidey and Rah Rah ,the RFL the governing body are conducting a full study across all the leagues to determine the impact or otherwise of games cancelled and as to their reasons ,this can not be biased in any way .

Time will tell if the figures are made public.

But I for one would hope we the leagues will be given the results before they are passed to the community board for approval . ;)

Our Open Age have played 100% of their fixtures, and the U16s have had one game conceded by a Leeds based team (at our place). So, if you look at the pure figueres for completion, it would be high. However, if you asked us how many games were played at full strength, it wouldn't be anywhere near 100%.

#390 old fiddle

old fiddle
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

What happens when the championship clubs want their player/players back & the guy who hasn't had a game for a couple of weeks because he is deemed to be the weakest link when the luxury of having championship players available & he says "I've decided to work", or "I'm taking the family to the coast"

Hang on a minute, you said there weren, t enough players make your mind up. If there is then you just don, t pick the championship player. He might realise the grass isn, t greener then.

But it would be up to each club how they handle it.me personally would only pick a championship player if it did not upset anyo
ne its called man management

#391 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hang on a minute, you said there weren, t enough players make your mind up. If there is then you just don, t pick the championship player. He might realise the grass isn, t greener then.

But it would be up to each club how they handle it.me personally would only pick a championship player if it did not upset anyo
ne its called man management

So the luxury of professionals will only go to struggling clubs (doubt it one little bit) then when the pro's are recalled the clubs who are not struggling will start to.

Each club to handle it how they choose, your making me laugh, human nature will take control and a free for all will break out destroying any sense of honesty,

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#392 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Our Open Age have played 100% of their fixtures, and the U16s have had one game conceded by a Leeds based team (at our place). So, if you look at the pure figueres for completion, it would be high. However, if you asked us how many games were played at full strength, it wouldn't be anywhere near 100%.

How many teams compete in your OA competition ?

And are you saying that every game as been played as scheduled ?

#393 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

The point most people are missing is ,does every team in the competition have access to "pro players" ? If not the league is not operating on a level playing field so bringing into question the integrity of the competition .

#394 old fiddle

old fiddle
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Which bit of so called pro players returning to their amateur club did eveyone choose to ignore. They will end up there one
day anyway.
The same people saying there are not enough players are the same people objecting to the solution because one team might have an advantage over another.

I think dttrr has hit the nail on the head as have others. The main problems ncl clubs have is that they take weakened teams to away games, but they still turn up. This tends to even out over the season to create really competitive leagues with unpredictable results. Exactly what sport is meant to be about .

League 3 excluded apart from top 4 as it is in its infancy
Barla don, t seem to want to address the problems as it will mean changing their rules and accepting that maybe some people just don, t want to play rugby

#395 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

The returning of pros back to the amateur game is not the issue that as always happened , its the idea of dual registration that is the issue people are debating Old Fiddle .

#396 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

its the idea of dual registration that is the issue people are debating Old Fiddle .

There's only you debating it  :bye:

i told you 18 pages ago, it won't be introduced in the NCL.

#397 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

There's only you debating it  :bye:

i told you 18 pages ago, it won't be introduced in the NCL.

It seems that people at a higher level are debating it I'm afraid Raider and those people will implement it

#398 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Which bit of so called pro players returning to their amateur club did eveyone choose to ignore. They will end up there one
day anyway.
The same people saying there are not enough players are the same people objecting to the solution because one team might have an advantage over another.

I think dttrr has hit the nail on the head as have others. The main problems ncl clubs have is that they take weakened teams to away games, but they still turn up. This tends to even out over the season to create really competitive leagues with unpredictable results. Exactly what sport is meant to be about .

Barla don, t seem to want to address the problems as it will mean changing their rules and accepting that maybe some people just don, t want to play rugby

It's quite simple Fiddler, the players are signed on professional contracts (contracted players) and the rules of the amateur games don't allow them in the amateur game. Cake and eating it not allowed.

Ex players (non contracted players) returning to the amateur game - the rules do allow that. Smell the coffee while you're tasting the cake

#399 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

How many teams compete in your OA competition ?

And are you saying that every game as been played as scheduled ?

Exactly - as with any survey it depends on what you ask. 10 teams, out of 54 games so far 3 have been conceded, all by 'A' teams.

#400 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

day anyway.

So that is in the best interests of the sport is it at OA level is it?

Beggars belief that you could think it is a positive on the grounds you state!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users