Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#41 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

The amateur game faces a massive task in getting the game back on track and this morning I have witnessed the sad demise of a once great association, I have just come away from the BARLA agm  and I have to say I was embarrassed to witness the shambolic way the association has been run.

Sue Taylor has been elected as the New chair, firstly I would like to congratulate her on her appointment but with what she has witnessed today she will be under no illusions that she faces a massive job in rebuilding the once high reputation the association held.

I wish Sue well but I fear for the future of Barla .

#42 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

The amateur game faces a massive task in getting the game back on track and this morning I have witnessed the sad demise of a once great association, I have just come away from the BARLA agm  and I have to say I was embarrassed to witness the shambolic way the association has been run.

Sue Taylor has been elected as the New chair, firstly I would like to congratulate her on her appointment but with what she has witnessed today she will be under no illusions that she faces a massive job in rebuilding the once high reputation the association held.

Stop talking in riddles, man.

Who, what, when, why?

#43 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I suppose they may as well change the name to the Huddersfield Amateur Rugby League Association.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#44 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I suppose they may as well change the name to the Huddersfield Amateur Rugby League Association.

They wiould rather vote for a woman than a Lancastrian...... Just saying , like...  :haha:

#45 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,690 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

First thing she needs to do is offer Stuart a olive branch and a role in the associations future, then get round the district leagues and test the water, this will give her and her committee the feel of the pro's and con's within the association.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Take a look at Siddal's bar takings Pom Pom. You will not only see facts but the figures to back them up. In fact have an ask in your own midden to the East of the City and I think that you will find similar answers.

No. I've just checked Mark's post again and I can't see any reference to Siddal. Fact or otherwise Dev. Please stop commenting on things you THINK I've said.

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm in the same opinion that summer rugby sadly hasn't delivered what was promised and the facts are privy to the RFL/NCL. Clubs do need to act as one and demand some answers and if they are not happy with the direction that they have been taken and the place that they are at, they need to demand action.

Totally agree with you on that one Dev.

rldfsignature.jpg

#48 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

No. I've just checked Mark's post again and I can't see any reference to Siddal. Fact or otherwise Dev. Please stop commenting on things you THINK I've said.

I don't think that I once inferred that you mentioned Siddal Pom Pom and sincere apolgies to you if that was the impression that I gave. However, take another look at the post from Mark greenwood and you'll see on Mark's signature in text about an inch high;

I am Siddal's no.1 sub

Armed with that information I concluded that Mark Greenwood was somehow connected with Siddal.

#49 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Totally agree with you on that one Dev.

At last .... common ground

#50 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

At least with the introduction of a new chair, it brings to an end the dreadful reign of a chair who managed to lose all Lancashire Youth/Junior and a massive chunk East of the Pennines.

Time will certainly tell whether the new chair is comfortable with youth/junior matters now that the driver behind this section of the game has now left BARLA. Whether the game has that time to play with ....

#51 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

At least with the introduction of a new chair, it brings to an end the dreadful reign of a chair who managed to lose all Lancashire Youth/Junior and a massive chunk East of the Pennines.

Time will certainly tell whether the new chair is comfortable with youth/junior matters now that the driver behind this section of the game has now left BARLA. Whether the game has that time to play with ....

I detect concern even from you Nev about this appointment. Taxi Egg shares your worry. In the end it is  'more of , more of ' .

Olive Branches will probably not be enough . Most outsiders will see this as a take over of what is left of Barla by the Pennine League.

So how exactly is the new Chair going to approach  the NCL and the game wide juniors ? Not via  Stuart Prior , if I know him , that's for sure......

And most Leagues won't be waiting around........

#52 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Got a feeling this is the Death knell for Barla, however I don't know Sue Taylor but I know Stu and I know he would have been good for the relationship between Barla and the RFL

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#53 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,690 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

I detect concern even from you Nev about this appointment. Taxi Egg shares your worry. In the end it is  'more of , more of ' .

Olive Branches will probably not be enough . Most outsiders will see this as a take over of what is left of Barla by the Pennine League.

So how exactly is the new Chair going to approach  the NCL and the game wide juniors ? Not via  Stuart Prior , if I know him , that's for sure......

I've only had a few recent dealings with Sue at the district meetings and she has displayed the same concerns as yourself and many others, I don't know Stuart but only heard good reports, I hope he does get offered a major role and is man enough to take it up if offered.

Edited by Marauder, 23 June 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#54 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Not concern or worry Del, just reservations.

Comparing both candidates's CVs one looks to be a first class administrator with an arms length of commendations in that line of work, while the other's showed a doer and results person with vision who looks comfortable at levels and in arenas where the BARLA chair will need to show immense strength. 

As for approaching the NCL and game wide juniors, I'm sure that the new chair will have come with a plan for this and not to rely on an ex board of management member. However, I agree with you that time will not be an inherited luxury, it seems that the outgoing chair frittered all that away.

As I said time will tell if the new chair will be able to succesfully make the transition from the cut and paste world of recording minutes, to the cut and thrust of clear, quick, thinking and decision making.

#55 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Actions speak louder than words.........if BARLA under Sue Taylor start to 'do' rather than 'say'......then it is a step in the right direction at least.

It will take time no doubt as there are a lots of things to be corrected from the previous regime first, but a new broom will hopefully sweep clean enough for the first solid foundations to be laid at BARLA in a good while.

Give the lady 12 months and lets see where we are then, because it can't possibly be any worse at BARLA than it has been for the last few years.

#56 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,690 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Actions speak louder than words.........if BARLA under Sue Taylor start to 'do' rather than 'say'......then it is a step in the right direction at least.

It will take time no doubt as there are a lots of things to be corrected from the previous regime first, but a new broom will hopefully sweep clean enough for the first solid foundations to be laid at BARLA in a good while.

Give the lady 12 months and lets see where we are then, because it can't possibly be any worse at BARLA than it has been for the last few years.

Agree

#57 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Stop talking in riddles, man.

Who, what, when, why?

Talking in riddles , try being in the meeting with the outgoing chair ,not sure what neck of the woods you are from mate but if you had a rep there ask him/her.

The meeting was shambolic from start to finish with many delegates in the meeting shaking their heads in disbelief .

Despite overseeing a major decline in membership and credibility the outgoing chair was voted in as senior vice president the blind leading the blind .

One board member even said he does not attend board meetings because as he quoted he " had nothing to do on the board " but he will get voted in again because of the perverse voting system.

I hope Sue Taylor represents the association and is  not just there to strengthen the Pennine League and her first task needs to be to identify the role and impact each board member as to  their input into the running of the association.

#58 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

She doesn't have a hard act to follow but will she follow and not lead?

#59 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

She doesn't have a hard act to follow but will she follow and not lead?

A question that can only be answered in due course, lets just be thankful we have change that has the potential to give BARLA some purpose once more.

#60 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

First off I have promised my wife I will have a good couple of weeks away from the sport in order to re asses my goals in the game. I have to thank her as I have virtually been a stranger to her and my family for the last two years while trying to get into a position to make a difference to this ailing game, sadly I lost the Vote today to put my plans into action and for the record I have no bitterness what so ever with Sue Taylor. Congratulations Sue I congratulated you straight after and I will do so again on here without a problem.

However any olive branch, if considered, would have to be very strong as some of the remaining people their clearly don't want me around. For example the newly elected Vice Chair was only a couple of weeks ago encouraging a member of this forum to stand for a Youth and Junior spot then if I was not elected chair I would be out of the association. I don't work with slime balls who don't have the conviction to talk to you as an adult and tell you what they really think. Steve Manning is a devout RFL hater who has nothing but contempt for them yet he is Sue's new right hand man, sadly Sue may struggle to get Aim no 9 (Better working relationships between BARLA/RFL) with that one!

The second one is the newly elected Senior Vice President, who somewhat got a dislike for me for telling him the truth, has made his feelings very load to the considerable large membership of BARLA about me. Fine he has the right as an individual with his opinion to promote who he considers to be the best candidate but do it for the right reasons and not that to suit your own agenda. However he may have cooked his goose anyway after Sue, quite rightly, demolished him today. All that hard work Spen to get Sue your votes and stop me being elected is probably your downfall anyway as Sue is an intelligent person who probably sees through you just like I did!

I do worry that Sue, and he backers, don't know enough about Youth and Junior as I see nothing in her CV that she can argue the points to the performance dept. who are a very difficult bunch to debate with when you do know your stuff? I have to stay around if only to bring this to a conclusion and if that is not with BARLA then so be it. We have massive challenges at youth and junior especially the 16-18 age groups and I feel there is now no one at BARLA who can act on their behalf, constructively, now that I am not there.

My phone will be switched on for advice as Sue will have to appoint someone to continue the debate up in Cumbria in order to bring matters concerning the Academies to a conclusion. Its going to be tough and the new person taking on the task will have to be fully versed.

As for me now im switching off and kicking back. im off on tour Thursday and looking forward to a rest.

Thanks

Stuart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users