Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#81 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Approx  £ 500k flew over the Pennines into Barla's coffers following the sale of the AGMA grant aided land to build the Leigh Centre of Excellence . Ironic Mr C that you now pay 49 k per year for the facilities at the Sports Village on virtually the same site.

Stuart Prior's downfall came in part because he challenged the Barla accounting systems and wanted the Association to be far more pro-active in using the members' funds. He had to extract teeth to get the pump funding in place and up to Cumbria to get that League up and running - and just look what a success that is seeming to be....for just £6k.

So no Marauder. The accounts for me as an incoming Chair would be the first place to start

Followed by the voting system . Heard a nasty rumour that someone from your neck of the woods was asked to become a delegate for the day and vote. Used to happen in the good old days quite a bit but surely not now ?

And once Barla have swept up their own back yard then yes I agree. The new Chair needs to get around  ALL  the members , including the Associates .But unless and until that clean up  happens I expect little to change , and certainly no welcoming mat outside her fiefdom...........

The pawns on the board aren't bothered about money in bank or where they play, all they ask is a well organised structure that gives them a game at their standard every week. (Yorkshire leagues downfall)

Communications from top to bottom and bottom to top have to improve and all the hidden agenda's have to be brought into the open or left behind..

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#82 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Mr C, Im sure that everyone who knows me, or who has cared to speak with me, knows my feelings about people I have mentioned in this thread and unlike others I don't normally air my dirty washing in public. you will see from the number of posts I make on this forum that my opinions are my own and I don't comment with disrespect to anyone's else's opinions. I try to keep myself private and engage myself with opinionated people via face to face conversation or telephone calls were we can slug out a great debate on the greater good of the game.

You are right however my reply above was written with a lot of bitterness coming fresh from a debacle of a meeting and having been stitched up like a kipper, I'm sure others would have felt the same. Yes I have been on a tour or two, paid out of my very own pocket, but I have also given up countless unpaid hours travelling the country to try and heal rifts and bring the association back into favour. However I assure you I wear no blazer but I do have the odd T Shirt or 3 !!

As for the national cup, and your obvious detachment from any meaningful meetings over the last 2 years at open age and youth and junior forums, you may try to understand that I have been the face of BARLA who has had more mud thrown at him than Shrek in his bog, yes I do look like him, and I have fought beyond comprehension to save this competition. remember for the last 2 years no one else from BARLA wanted to attend any of these meetings and I soon came to understand why. Again however I gained trust and respect with a lot of people associated in the game and I truly believe I would have been that missing link to heal the rift between all. Then you get the people with the hidden agendas conspiring to undo the very thing you set out to achieve, but I played fair and naïve believing the very people they were telling would look beyond that and look at what I had achieved in the last 2 years. perhaps next time I should tell a pack of lies to get into a position to make a difference?

Yes I have bitterness because the very people that conspired against me don't have a clue about the challenges or what needs to be done and all they did was make the association weaker while they protected their own backs. I hope they can get their act together as the game needs a voice of reason to keep the RFL and the Professional ranks in check, but as Nev v Dawn has pointed out, and ill say it myself, ill be back under what guise I do not know but that will be for the good of the game instead of a tour and a blazer.

Stuart

Glad to hear that you will be back and from the feed back I've received about you the sooner the better.

#83 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Mr C, Im sure that everyone who knows me, or who has cared to speak with me, knows my feelings about people I have mentioned in this thread and unlike others I don't normally air my dirty washing in public. you will see from the number of posts I make on this forum that my opinions are my own and I don't comment with disrespect to anyone's else's opinions. I try to keep myself private and engage myself with opinionated people via face to face conversation or telephone calls were we can slug out a great debate on the greater good of the game.You are right however my reply above was written with a lot of bitterness coming fresh from a debacle of a meeting and having been stitched up like a kipper, I'm sure others would have felt the same. Yes I have been on a tour or two, paid out of my very own pocket, but I have also given up countless unpaid hours travelling the country to try and heal rifts and bring the association back into favour. However I assure you I wear no blazer but I do have the odd T Shirt or 3 !!As for the national cup, and your obvious detachment from any meaningful meetings over the last 2 years at open age and youth and junior forums, you may try to understand that I have been the face of BARLA who has had more mud thrown at him than Shrek in his bog, yes I do look like him, and I have fought beyond comprehension to save this competition. remember for the last 2 years no one else from BARLA wanted to attend any of these meetings and I soon came to understand why. Again however I gained trust and respect with a lot of people associated in the game and I truly believe I would have been that missing link to heal the rift between all. Then you get the people with the hidden agendas conspiring to undo the very thing you set out to achieve, but I played fair and naïve believing the very people they were telling would look beyond that and look at what I had achieved in the last 2 years. perhaps next time I should tell a pack of lies to get into a position to make a difference?Yes I have bitterness because the very people that conspired against me don't have a clue about the challenges or what needs to be done and all they did was make the association weaker while they protected their own backs. I hope they can get their act together as the game needs a voice of reason to keep the RFL and the Professional ranks in check, but as Nev v Dawn has pointed out, and ill say it myself, ill be back under what guise I do not know but that will be for the good of the game instead of a tour and a blazer.Stuart

Stuart , I don't think we have ever met , I'm glad you replied in a different tone from your other post that I referred to , I understand a lot more after your post and I can instantly tell that you are a honest and passionate man . So I apologise to yourself . What you have shown in your post is that Barla needs a clear out quickly . Good luck Stuart you speak from the heart and that's ok by me

#84 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Same tee shirt  Wilber , though mine's a lot more faded than yours

Get some sleep  -  aren't you on tour on thursday ?

Seriously , I feel a bit isolated now when it  comes to fighting the  corner with Performance and the other big beasts up there. Barla probably don't have a clue how intense those exchanges can be and how quick you need to be on your feet.... and the immediacy of decision making.......

You'll be missed for a meeting or two but you'll be back. Maybe even on the  ' Dark Side ' . Your heart will tick exactly the same way, and you will be guided by what drives you, even if that upsets  Barla  Headquarters and their fans.....

As I say , Wilber , same tee shirt.........

Mine's Guinness . I think your's is Lager Top ?

#85 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Pina Colada.

#86 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Pina Colada.

Taxi Egg-   Could never see you with a bent finger and a little umbrella in Our House

#87 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

The pina colada was for Del Boy Prior .

#88 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

The pina colada was for Del Boy

Strictly top shelf Irish myself Taxi Egg if we need to get serious.

Prior is still learning........

Pina Colada ??????  No wonder the Centurions are  just Championship..........

#89 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Leythers don't do shorts :girlinlove:

#90 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Leythers don't do shorts :girlinlove:

yep  from what I've had this weekend in Wigan Nick they don't wear them.........

#91 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Nick :P

#92 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Make what you want out of it mick but our game is in a mess from top to bottom , its a selfish game at the top and run by lunatics at amateur level . Mick I do admire the grass roots people they are the lifeblood and your organisation along with others should be proud of what you do . But just read that statement by Stuart prior and its full of bitterness to other people in the Barla ranks , why didn't he make it public beforehand , its all about wearing the blazer and how many tours they can get on . Look at the national finals it was a joke , I don't mean the day itself but the organisation and planning . Can someone on here tell me what Barla have in the bank

Leigh East under 18's did all right in the BARLA National Cup Finals winning a cracking game against Thatto and I believe pocketing a brand new kit courtesy of BARLA/Xamax the competition sponsors.

And if I remember correctly didn't Leigh East pull out of the open age competition at the last minute, I'm sure that action must have greatly helped the organisation and planning.

#93 Mark Greenwood

Mark Greenwood
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

It all comes down to the fact that we have been sold down the river by the RFL & NCL.

They told us:

More participation in the sport: WRONG - Lots of sides are struggling & how many have 'A' teams now??

Bigger crowds: WRONG - Every ground i've visited in the last 18mths have had the attendances drop dramatically.

Action is needed quickly we need to revert back to winter.

I AM SIDDAL RLFC NO.1 SUB

#94 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Unlike a few of you I have met Stuart on a couple of occasions and I feel deeply sorry that he hasn't been able to get into a position where he may have been able to rescue the situation.

In the meetings I have attended with him, he has exhibited the right balance of co-operation and also being able to strongly state a case against some of the proposals being put forward that he felt he, and a lot of people within the community game, felt would be detrimental to the grass roots. I can't comment on Sue Taylor as I don't know her.

Most of my time in the game as a player (very briefly and not very effectively), club founder (twice), club chairman, club treasurer, league founder and administrator, league chairman, referee, coach and all sorts of other things have been in summer. I have watched and refereed junior and Open Age in BARLA leagues and the NCL in winter and have worked in University and schools RL also. I believe that summer rugby is 100% the right way to go for juniors. I have reservations about the transition for adults - we have only ever played summer with Open Age at our club and you just get on with it when that is what you know but I do have serious concerns about the strategy for 16-18 year olds. So many factors come into play at that age that throwing multiple extra hurdles in the way is going to lead to a meltdown.

Due to additional work commitments I have been struggling to put the amount of time into RL that I have done for the last 7 years. Things that are currently happening within the game and have affected my club directly have led me to wonder whether it's worth putting in the time I do have. As such, I have withdrawn from all the above mentioned roles for the foreseeable future - the club is in good hands and I am still around but I just have to assess whether I can really justify putting my time and emotional commitment into something that seems to be totally unable to provide any kind of sensible framework to make use of that effort.

Someone told me I wouldn't be able to stay away, and that may be true, and I certainly hope it's true of Stuart.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#95 Rolly

Rolly
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'd like to see if people opionions have changed since the introduction of summer rugby. Be it you were in favour but are against the concept or like me against it from day one & still not in favour. I for one used to love watching amateur rugby league especially the NCL on a Saturday from Sept to April, but I'll be honest I've hardly seen many games since the introduction of sumeer due to other commitments.

#96 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Things that are currently happening within the game and have affected my club directly have led me to wonder whether it's worth putting in the time I do have. As such, I have withdrawn from all the above mentioned roles for the foreseeable future - the club is in good hands and I am still around but I just have to assess whether I can really justify putting my time and emotional commitment into something that seems to be totally unable to provide any kind of sensible framework to make use of that effort.

Someone told me I wouldn't be able to stay away, and that may be true, and I certainly hope it's true of Stuart.

Could you enlarge on "things" Tim, if they're affecting your club and certainly giving you a different outlook, it would be better to get them in the open so that there's less chance of "things" affecting other clubs and turning other commendable individuals in a less than positive direction.

With what I've seen on here Tim,  Stuart will re-charge and continue to look for stability at the very severe problem areas (16 - 18) what's the chances of you and him sharing notes? 

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 26 June 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#97 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Could you enlarge on "things" Tim, if they're affecting your club and certainly giving you a different outlook, it would be better to get them in the open so that there's less chance of "things" affecting other clubs and turning other commendable individuals in a less than positive direction.

With what I've seen on here Tim,  Stuart will re-charge and continue to look for stability at the very severe problem areas (16 - 18) what's the chances of you and him sharing notes? 

There's a big list of stuff that in themselves aren't a big deal but when they accumulate it finally breaks the camel's back. Most of them have made an appearance on these boards, usually more than once.

I really haven't got time to do anything right now - I'll reassess next year. I'm sure there'll be a whole new set of policies in place by then.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#98 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

From visiting grounds and hosting games since the move to Summer it is clear to anyone to see the crowds have dropped significantly. Each week the team is different, we played Saturday and had 6 missing, playing tonight with 8 missing not same lads different from weekend mainly.

There was nothing better than the banter in the clubhouse after the game, travelling home on the bus from games following a good day out. How times have changed, Clubs are empty everywhere you go, within an hour of a game only a handfull left in club. This has all gone, we have been at clubs before in the winter season where you would not leave tio come home to 7/8 pm and vice versa when clubs visited you the same. Nowadays, each week there are a number who do not even come in the club as other things to be doing.

As for player participation increasing as stated earlier - WRONG

The standard of officials we are getting is shockling. Each week is a lottery as to the number of cards teams will get. Do the management care anymore or is this area a massive money making operation.

Management meeting Monday - if the question was asked of hoe many teams would stop season now and move back to a winter NCL i think they would be shocked at the response.

A lot of good admin people at clubs, players & coaches have left and i fear more will do the same then the once great competition we had will be no more than a pub league

#99 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

From visiting grounds and hosting games since the move to Summer it is clear to anyone to see the crowds have dropped significantly. Each week the team is different, we played Saturday and had 6 missing, playing tonight with 8 missing not same lads different from weekend mainly.

There was nothing better than the banter in the clubhouse after the game, travelling home on the bus from games following a good day out. How times have changed, Clubs are empty everywhere you go, within an hour of a game only a handfull left in club. This has all gone, we have been at clubs before in the winter season where you would not leave tio come home to 7/8 pm and vice versa when clubs visited you the same. Nowadays, each week there are a number who do not even come in the club as other things to be doing.

The standard of officials we are getting is shockling. Each week is a lottery as to the number of cards teams will get. Do the management care anymore or is this area a massive money making operation.

Management meeting Monday - if the question was asked of hoe many teams would stop season now and move back to a winter NCL i think they would be shocked at the response.

A lot of good admin people at clubs, players & coaches have left and i fear more will do the same then the once great competition we had will be no more than a pub league

Is there anyone who would stand up and state this at a meeting or are they; gagged to prevent the truth, told they have to wait 3 years and just before the three years are up the RFL will come with more broken promises.

#100 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I couldn't accurately comment on the current state of the NCL games as regards; players/spectators/after match etc. as with the summer switch I don't go to any games. However I do take a regional league/cup game in almost every week in the traditional season and have found that there is normally plenty of people watching the game and after in the clubhouse. Nothing much has changed there. 

I agree with Marauder that delegates at the NCL meetings seemed to be gagged or guided to decisions by the management who in turn get their brief from the RFL. Probably in the so called agreed 3 years experiment, most of the - good admin people at clubs, players & coaches will have actually left clubs.