Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

OA arl rip

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#101 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

The problem is nobody wants to debate it or shall we say not allowed to .
Is it a fear of upsetting g the RFL ?
It is clear summer rugby is not achieving what the RFL spin promoted .
Lets call a meeting of all the clubs secretaries treasurers and coaches and honestly answer each point the switch to summer promoted then and only then can we take the game forward .

Local derbies used to have a buzz before during and after not any more on the couple I have attended and cheese is right most clubs are empty an hour after the game .

We can't keep burying heads in the sand the game is dying people are losing interest at all levels we need to inject enthusiasm back into the game and bring the feel good factor back , can we honestly say we are achieving that across the game ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 27 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#102 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Lets call a meeting of all the clubs secretaries treasurers and coaches and honestly answer each point the switch to summer promoted then and only then can we take the game forward .

Local derbies used to have a buzz before during and after not any more on the couple I have attended and cheese is right most clubs are empty an hour after the game .

We can't keep burying heads in the sand the game is dying people are losing interest at all levels we need to inject enthusiasm back into the game and bring the feel good factor back , can we honestly say we are achieving that across the game ?

I think this is a great idea - as i stated i have been involved 7 years now at my club oulton and made a lot of good friends at other clubs in this time. Lot of these have now stepped away from the game and i know for a fact a lot more wanting to do the same.  

Last wnter season we ran 3 open age teams and still had lads not getting a game - only last 2 weeks have we managed to get an A team out 

#103 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

We played Hunslet Warriors couple years back in National Cup over 1000 people there bar was packed till 8pm at least

We play them again next week in what will be 2 of the top 4 teams in division 1

Be interesting to see

1 - The crowd

2 - The bar afterwards

I think we all know the answer

I am not been negative just realistic

#104 impartial

impartial
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have been involved in the amateur game as a player, coach and active committee member for 30yrs plus and being honest the game is in the worst situiation ever, never as there been so many 2nd team games been called off, the crowds are virtually non existant, finances are down every where you go. In all the summer concept was to be advantageous in every way when, in truth the complete opposite has happened. If we are not to revert back to winter ASAP i feel the worst and the topic of this thread may weel become a reality.

#105 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Is this a regional problem though as the summer season seems to be working quite well in Cumbria and I understand the Friday night Barrow & District leagues are popular with speccies and players alike?

I don't think players have had too many hard pitches to contend with either as its always raining!!

I would say that our local clubs are using more players than ever before due to unavailability (holidays and wedding etc.) at weekends, but they all seem to be fielding 17 players each week.

When you talk about bar revenue being down, I don't think you can soley point the finger for a downturn in sales at summer rugby. A walk into Workington, Maryport or most small towns on a weekend now sees the pubs almost deserted, pubs are closing down on a weekly basis nationally so I think that's more down to the economic climate and the change in people's social habits rather than a change in seasons.

If clubs could sell beer for the same price as a supermarket then I'm sure they would be packed out, as we know that isn't possible and the choice of paying £12 for 20 cans or £2.90 for a pint is a no brainer for some people!!

#106 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

The RFL spin if allowed needs debating before the start of the third season otherwise you'll have to go along with at lease a fourth summer season and has Buzz Lightyear said "To infinity and beyond"

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#107 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

We played Hunslet Warriors couple years back in National Cup over 1000 people there bar was packed till 8pm at least

Be interesting to see

1 - The crowd

2 - The bar afterwards

Is it realistic to compare a league game against a cup comp which i presume had one team looking at a bit of a gaint killing.

Some teams are struggling and it will be intresting to see if clubs speak out on Monday ive been to meeting where one or two say something but no others, teams are not gagged at the meeting if enough speak out the management will have to act.

#108 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Be interesting to see

1 - The crowd

2 - The bar afterwards

Is it realistic to compare a league game against a cup comp which i presume had one team looking at a bit of a gaint killing.

Some teams are struggling and it will be intresting to see if clubs speak out on Monday ive been to meeting where one or two say something but no others, teams are not gagged at the meeting if enough speak out the management will have to act.

And which cup competition was that I wonder

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 27 June 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#109 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

the game ?

A genuine question. Is that actually true? What ramifications could the RFL do if someone wanted to voice their honest opinion and it disagreed with the RFL's policy? Don't we live in a free country with the freedom to voice our opinions and not South Korea?

rldfsignature.jpg

#110 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been in several meetings with the RFL and trust me they do not encourage debate on anything negative on what they want to achieve. You can point out the obvious but they still will not accept it .

Some of us do argue the point but some leagues sit quiet and do not back us up so it looks like we are a minority voice , and don't you mean North Korea lol ?

Other posters on here are getting frustrated with the way the RFL are driving the game but because people like myself have opinions we are treated like the unruly kid in the class.

#111 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

and don't you mean North Korea lol ?

Yes :blush: If other leagues keep quiet maybe it's because they don't have any objections or the same objections that you have.

Edited by deluded pom?, 27 June 2013 - 06:19 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#112 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Possibly then we have nothing to worry about then , probably me just being paranoid .

#113 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Can we have just one thread about the state of the game rather than a new one every week?

Same thread as last week Pom Pom that must be pleasing for you.

#114 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Just look at the results in the conference, it's a joke, a win by 50 points one week lose by 50 points the next, half the team on holiday, please come to your senses, 

Just watched Huddersfield Giants v Catalan Dragons 60 points to 16 Does anybody know was  all the Catalan Players on Hoilday or on a Stag do ? or maybe they had gone  to Play cricket.

Edited by old papa, 28 June 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#115 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Just watched Huddersfield Giants v Catalan Dragons 60 points to 16 Does anybody know was  all the Catalan Players on Hoilday or on a Stag do ? or maybe they had gone  to Play cricket.

It must have been a completely different team to the one that put thirty on Hull the other week.

rldfsignature.jpg

#116 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

It must have been a completely different team to the one that put thirty on Hull the other week.

They're saving that team for the challenge cup game v Hull

#117 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I have just been informed that the Catalan players have been on a 60s weekend in their caravans in Brid.

#118 Historical value

Historical value
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Winter rugby, starts in summer, finishes in summer.
Summer rugby starts in winter, finishes in winter.
Anyone remember the grand finals, been played on lovely summers days, play offs on nice late spring days. And then relaxing in the garden, or beer garden, doing a bit of painting round the ground, eagerly awaiting the next season. Over 100 years of winter competition, then some administrator, with a hidden agenda, producers a pamphlet showing the way forward, in summer. It was obvious then, it was gonna happen, yes we had votes, but most teams were scared that they would be left behind, I know I team that voted no, and that was the most successful team over the last 15 years. And how right they were. There revenue has being hammered, some of the best players in the ametur game disappeared, crowds halved, now somebody mentioned, the cost of beer, £2.90 a pint in the club, and 70p a can in the supermarket, the supermarkets don't run ncl teams, have clubs to run, gas electric, water, rates, kits, busses, training expenses,upkeep of the ground,to make it a safe pleasurable experience, when you visit. I still go to the match, but I don't want too but I don't want to let the ones that are left down. I have buissineses to run, and can't really get involved too much with a movement to scupper the RFL, but can we maybe start a movement, and call it the winter spring. If enough people show interest, I will reveal myself and help with the movement. And reserect the once great,winter game.

#119 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

. If enough people show interest, I will reveal myself and help with the movement.

Therein lies the crux of the matter. If there are enough clubs/people who are unhappy with the way the game is going then surely it's only a matter of time before the worm turns. They can't live in fear of being left behind forever or it will be like Nero fiddling (that might or might not be an intended pun) whilst Rome burned.

Edited by deluded pom?, 30 June 2013 - 07:47 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#120 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

Winter rugby, starts in summer, finishes in summer.
Summer rugby starts in winter, finishes in winter.
Anyone remember the grand finals, been played on lovely summers days, play offs on nice late spring days. And then relaxing in the garden, or beer garden, doing a bit of painting round the ground, eagerly awaiting the next season. Over 100 years of winter competition, then some administrator, with a hidden agenda, producers a pamphlet showing the way forward, in summer. It was obvious then, it was gonna happen, yes we had votes, but most teams were scared that they would be left behind, I know I team that voted no, and that was the most successful team over the last 15 years. And how right they were. There revenue has being hammered, some of the best players in the ametur game disappeared, crowds halved, now somebody mentioned, the cost of beer, £2.90 a pint in the club, and 70p a can in the supermarket, the supermarkets don't run ncl teams, have clubs to run, gas electric, water, rates, kits, busses, training expenses,upkeep of the ground,to make it a safe pleasurable experience, when you visit. I still go to the match, but I don't want too but I don't want to let the ones that are left down. I have buissineses to run, and can't really get involved too much with a movement to scupper the RFL, but can we maybe start a movement, and call it the winter spring. If enough people show interest, I will reveal myself and help with the movement. And reserect the once great,winter game.

Maybe the group of people you need to convince are the NCL management. But it will be very hard for them to peel away from the RFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users