Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dai Young

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Just goes to show what Leeds were like then.I wonder If John Gallagher would have made the grade if he had gone to another club?I heard Schoey resented his presence

I remember reading a joke in the Leeds Fanzine (remember them?)  "how do you get three Leeds directors into a Lada? (remember them?) Tell them there's a Union player inside who wants to sign."

I was told by a Leeds insider that Schoey resented the fact that Gallagher was on more money than he was, and there was, shall we say an altercation between the two of them.  Gallagher (the greatest Rugby player in the world) was a major disappointment to Leeds.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

I remember reading a joke in the Leeds Fanzine (remember them?) "how do you get three Leeds directors into a Lada? (remember them?) Tell them there's a Union player inside who wants to sign."
I was told by a Leeds insider that Schoey resented the fact that Gallagher was on more money than he was, and there was, shall we say an altercation between the two of them. Gallagher (the greatest Rugby player in the world) was a major disappointment to Leeds.

I understand why Schoey would be narked that first Pearce and then Gallagher were on more money than he was but you can't blame either of them for taking what Hull and Leeds respectively were offering.

Edited by deluded pom?, 22 June 2013 - 07:59 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#23 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Dai Young also had a nowty side.  I saw him break Gary Chambers jaw / cheek with a horrible elbow shot at the Willows.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#24 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,063 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ray_(sportsman)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#25 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Didn't know that Gray came from union. He was a hooker rather than a prop wasn't he?

How about Hugh Waddell? He made a success as a prop - did he also play as a prop in union? The same could be said about Mike Nicholas and Bobby Wanbon.

#26 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Glynn Shaw's another. He definitely played as a prop in union. Contested scrums and the five metre rule probably helped the transition and maybe the Welsh expected a bit more footballing abilities from their forwards than the English - Fran Cotton or Gareth Chilcott wouldn't have made it in a million years.

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

[quote name="latchford albion" post="2730270" timestamp="1372016325")Gareth Chilcott wouldn't have made it in a million years.[/quote]He was good in panto though.

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ugly sister?

#29 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Mother Goose?

#30 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Young was a top player at Salford and the fact he want back to RU and made the international team again shows how capable a player he was.

I have the DVD of Salford beating a star studden Wigan team in 1996 where Young scores the first try by following a grubber into the in-goal.  Don't see many props do that!  

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

From these posts and many of the interviews I have seen with him is Gary Schofield really as conceited and objectionable as he comes across as?

In terms of Gallagher catching high ball as should have been one of his strengths. With the Union laws of the time you would have been able to play full back without being solid under high kicks. His cover tackling should also have been very good. Front on defence, positioning and general tactical awareness would have been his problems.

It is interesting to note that the player he kept out of the All Blacks side, Mathew Ridge, took to Aussie rugby league like a duck to water.

Yes,he is.My abiding memory of schofield was the time he took a coaching session of the Leeds and district u15 side that I was a memebr of,stating"I don't know why I'm here,you lot won't make the grade anyway".

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Didn't know that Gray came from union. He was a hooker rather than a prop wasn't he?

How about Hugh Waddell? He made a success as a prop - did he also play as a prop in union? The same could be said about Mike Nicholas and Bobby Wanbon.

Hugh was originally a soccer player who then went on to play prop for Burton RU.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

My memory of Dai Young was that he was a good player at Salford. Not a great player, but worked hard and had the added virtue of being a good leader and gee-ing up the team.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the responses. I always struggled to think how a Union prop could be of any use in League but lots of the posts have filled in the gaps. It sounds like after an unpromising start Young made a real go of it through hard work and determination.

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,063 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

1. Mike Coulman was a top-notch RU convert, playing prop in both codes.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mike_Coulman

2. The most similar modern player to Dai Young is, I would say, Andy Lynch.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

'

Mike Coulman, the biggest thigh's I have ever seen, Converted to League very well got capped I believed.

Dai Young was a lot bigger than Andy Lynch, one of the problems Young looked to have had was he was straight as a "ramrod" with very little flexability. 

#37 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Yes,he is.My abiding memory of schofield was the time he took a coaching session of the Leeds and district u15 side that I was a memebr of,stating"I don't know why I'm here,you lot won't make the grade anyway".

I think sometimes no one has ever or ever will make the grade apart from Garry.Sounds like he was attempting a Brian Clough speech to you lads.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#38 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think sometimes no one has ever or ever will make the grade apart from Garry.Sounds like he was attempting a Brian Clough speech to you lads.

It was a very poor attempt and he was proven wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users