Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Giants" v "Minnows" international matches

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I caught some of the Spain v Tahiti Confederation Cup game the other day. Although it wasn't much of a contest on the scoreboard, Tahiti were at least allowed their day in the sun and had the experience of playing on the same pitch as the current World and European champions. This is something we never see in RL outside of a chance WC meeting and with the "Super Pool" concept this is even more limited than it once was. It was great to see the crowds reaction to Tahiti's efforts and they deservedly took the plaudits from the Spanish team as well as the crowd. Whilst realising that RL is a more unforgiving sport than soccer I still feel their is a place in the game for the big three to give some of the lesser lights more of a chance to take the field against them. Thoughts? 

rldfsignature.jpg

#2 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Many other sports have put in place plans to expand their international base. RU and cricket are good examples. RL should put in place concrete plans to raise the standard of the PNG, French and Welsh national teams. The pool of French players playing at the top level at present seems to be improving steadily which is a good thing for the sport.

#3 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

I caught some of the Spain v Tahiti Confederation Cup game the other day. Although it wasn't much of a contest on the scoreboard, Tahiti were at least allowed their day in the sun and had the experience of playing on the same pitch as the current World and European champions. This is something we never see in RL outside of a chance WC meeting and with the "Super Pool" concept this is even more limited than it once was. It was great to see the crowds reaction to Tahiti's efforts and they deservedly took the plaudits from the Spanish team as well as the crowd. Whilst realising that RL is a more unforgiving sport than soccer I still feel their is a place in the game for the big three to give some of the lesser lights more of a chance to take the field against them. Thoughts?

Spain vs Tahiti was a bit of a one-off novelty. In soccer, even when there are big discrepancies in the quality of sides (FA Cup etc), you rarely see score lines which are horrifically one-sided because of the relatively high difficulty of scoring in that code.

Due to the nature of RL, even when there are much smaller gulfs in quality (top vs lower SL teams) scores will still regularly be heavily one-sided. If one team's pack is very dominant and they have halves who can consistently pin the opposition back with their kicking then there will be few chances for the other team to score. It's impossible to adopt a purely defensive strategy in league. What this means is the likes of Australia will win by a massive margin against anyone other than England or NZ, and I don't think there's really much value in seeing these kind of blow outs more frequently.

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Spain vs Tahiti was a bit of a one-off novelty. In soccer, even when there are big discrepancies in the quality of sides (FA Cup etc), you rarely see score lines which are horrifically one-sided because of the relatively high difficulty of scoring in that code.

Due to the nature of RL, even when there are much smaller gulfs in quality (top vs lower SL teams) scores will still regularly be heavily one-sided. If one team's pack is very dominant and they have halves who can consistently pin the opposition back with their kicking then there will be few chances for the other team to score. It's impossible to adopt a purely defensive strategy in league. What this means is the likes of Australia will win by a massive margin against anyone other than England or NZ, and I don't think there's really much value in seeing these kind of blow outs more frequently.

We don't see these kind of blowout scores at international level at all currently because the games never take place. Australia played the USA several years ago on their way back from the 4N. They have proved it can be done. The Aussies don't have to field their strongest side. Isn't variety supposed to be the spice of life? Check out how many different nations France have played against in the last twenty five years.

Edited by deluded pom?, 22 June 2013 - 10:06 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I remember in one ru World Cup the all blacks played Italy in Huddersfield and out about 100 points on them

Now Italy are able to win games against Scotland, Wales and even France in the 6N

They don't fixate on the negative like RL people do and it means the positives get chance to grow

#6 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Id deffo like to see some kind of World Cup qualification system brought to allow these smaller nations regular fixtures against the big nations that's the only way the game will grow in those countries and players like your broughs sticking with the smaller nations, so what if there's a few big score lines it's sport it happens we shoudnt b afraid of hammerings Italy in union are a great example. I'm not saying replace fixtures against aus n kiwis with playing the likes of Italy but we need to play all kind of nations to help improve the international game
Id like to see for example every 4 years we could potentially have
2013 World Cup

2014 5 nations down under eng, aus, nz,France, pacific all stars
With the European cup and pacif cups been played

2015 World Cup qualification Europe involving eng down to the likes of Italy ect involving 12 nations same for the Southern Hemisphere

2016 tour down under as Great Britain ashes series and tests, with European and pacific cups been played

2017 World Cup

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd love to see more of them, but unfortunately the fans are not interested.

Even when GB/England have played against the likes of PNG, France and Wales the crowds just haven't supported the concept.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I remember in one ru World Cup the all blacks played Italy in Huddersfield and out about 100 points on them

Now Italy are able to win games against Scotland, Wales and even France in the 6N

They don't fixate on the negative like RL people do and it means the positives get chance to grow

There is a big difference between Union and League. Italy had a decent number of clubs and people playing the game. We often put out heritage nations with no real amateur set up behind them.

Simply playing matches against each other doesn't lead to competitiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users