TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Wales/

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Relatively new to rugby league but it does puzzle me that the sport struggles to establish itself in a rugby mad country like Wales,

I applaud the efforts of the 2 CC1 teams and hope both go forward and prosper and maybe 1 day

one of them  may become  a super league club,

a few years back there was applications from Cardiff and Swansea along with Gateshead to join

but obviously failed ,

imo  for a welsh club to be successfull  it has to be based in one of the 2 big cities of Wales rather than a small industrial town ,

anyone out there have any ideas,

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Slow and steady growth. I think RL has finally got some good roots down in Wales and some players are coming through to SL level.

Let then build. You never know, another Koukash may come along!
Posted Image

#3 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Basing it in Cardiff or Swansea means that they have to compare with premier league soccer clubs and two regional RU sides....without premier league money behind it any RL side will not compete.

Bridgend is still the best place geographically and player pool wise as rugby is the main game, plus it retains enough of a grudge for losing a regional side and continues to be neglected by the Ospreys. Any rugby league in south wales needs the support of valleys people to be fully successful and neither the ospreys nor the blues nor the dragons have remembered this.

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Perhaps in 3 years time put in another semi pro side, once the other 2 semi pro clubs have become even more esablished.

There must be no rush this time to put a Super League club there, until everything is in place. Build from the bottom is the way forward for Rugby League in the UK.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,454 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Rugby league is popular in Wales. It's never going to be the national sport but Crusaders out-draw all but the professional soccer clubs and Scorpions are on a par (or higher) than most of the Welsh Premier. Both do better than a lot of the second tier union clubs.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just needs continued, steady growth in Wales. The structures are there now, it's just down to money and sensible management to build the game even more.

A good world cup showing from Wales wouldn't do them any harm.

#7 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just carry on what's already been done we need the money and effort going into the junior, community, schools ect then on the back of that look at establishing good amateur clubs that can build towards championship 1 hemel stags a great example the more clubs we can get at the similar level as crusaders n scorpions the better and that's the way the game will grow from bottom up with good foundations and 1 day a Wales club WIll be in a posisition to go after a super league place

#8 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am sad to say that the open age game in South Wales is really struggling now with just a six team, not sure about the juniors, there are a lot of clubs who say they have junior teams but it is difficult to tell how many games take place.

Also there is some bad news just around the corners for both North & South Wales in the development side of the community and junior game. 

#9 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I am sad to say that the open age game in South Wales is really struggling now with just a six team, not sure about the juniors, there are a lot of clubs who say they have junior teams but it is difficult to tell how many games take place.

Also there is some bad news just around the corners for both North & South Wales in the development side of the community and junior game. 

What bad news?

#10 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Really? That's nothing that I know of.

#11 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

In fact far from it.

#12 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Wats the bad news?, generally it seems that Wales are doing alright with the crusaders and scorpions been stable and competitive also with wigan link thats helping would like to see other super league clubs do the same

#13 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I do not think Scorpions are that stable with one of their best players and two others just leaving to go to the bottom of the table side. Sorry to be doom and gloom but that is the way I see it.

#14 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I do not think Scorpions are that stable with one of their best players and two others just leaving to go to the bottom of the table side. Sorry to be doom and gloom but that is the way I see it.

The Scorpions under 20's were due to play at Fev today but couldn't raise a team which surprises me.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#15 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Understand what your saying and certainly not as strong as the crusaders and yeh most probably hav there difficulties but given the fact there still a young club they've been relatively successfull and with new potential expansion sides coming in on the field the scorpions should remain pretty competitive

#16 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

I was going to put that as this I think it is the third time this has happened this season though also Hemel didn't go to oldham today for their junior fixture due to lack of players.

#17 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

The Leigh fixture the other week was their inability to travel from what I understand.

#18 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not sure about South Wales, where even the RU regional sides struggle to compete with the round ball game, but I think that there's definitely a long term future for us in mid and North Wales.

#19 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I agree that the future for North Wales is far more healthier, there is far greater enthausim for the game now in the North and Mid Wales

#20 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

The long term future for the game in Wales and the popularity of the game in Wales is to be found in the game being played in increasing numbers of schools in Wales. 

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users