RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Riley

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

When George Riley joined BBC Radio Five Live and spoke up so strongly for our game on national radio, I thought that at last here was someone who would  counterbalance the relentless, insidious and almost subliminal union messaging from the likes of Rachel Burden and others too many to mention.

However, it seems to me that he's gone a bit quiet in this respect of late. Maybe my listening patterns have changed and he does he still speak up for our game... or maybe he has been has he  been re-educated by the  BBC revisionists. I trust I am wrong.

Edited by JohnM, 22 June 2013 - 01:22 PM.

• fieldofclothofgold likes this

#2 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

When George Riley joined BBC Radio Five Live and spoke up so strongly for our game on national radio, I thought that at last here was someone who would  counterbalance the relentless, insidious and almost subliminal union messaging from the likes of Rachel Burden and others too many to mention.

However, it seems to me that he's gone a bit quiet in this respect of late. Maybe my listening patterns have changed and he does he still speak up for our game... or maybe he has been has he  been re-educated by the  BBC revisionists. I trust I am wrong.

I thought the same thing yesterday when he gave a sports bulletin, but made no mention of the 2 Super League games that were taking place last night. Before he would have done.

• fieldofclothofgold likes this

#3 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

he is on twitter, ask him! :-)
Posted Image

#4 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

He does mention the RU lions on Twitter.I also told him about our feelings about Richard Bacon

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Going back over the last couple of days on twitter he's mentioned tennis, rugby league, basketball, soccer and rugby union. And he's hardly turned into a blinkered flag waver for union or a belittler of league.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Sports presenter on R4's Today prog declared that "Rugby fans" would be feeling excited this morning. My first though was: well, I suppose I am looking forward to Catalans v. KR...

• Pie tries likes this

#7 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ive  just  had to come off FB and TWITTER its nauseating

The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

he is on twitter, ask him! :-)

I used to communicate, but he's not keen on feedback.

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I heard him mentioning that everyone would be talking about The State of Origin in Australia and not the Lions tour a week or so back. Five Live simply can't become the RL sports bulletin FFS. I think we get a decent crack on there and TBH more presenters than him are now saying Rugby Union when introducing an item instead of 'Rugby'.

• EdinburghExile likes this

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I got the impression he got a bit of a mard on when RL fans gave him stick for his 'OMG RL CLUBS ARE ALL SKINT' TV 'exposé' on the eve of the season.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

I got the impression he got a bit of a mard on when RL fans gave him stick for his 'OMG RL CLUBS ARE ALL SKINT' TV 'exposé' on the eve of the season.

He did. Got very defensive on twitter about it.

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I heard him mentioning that everyone would be talking about The State of Origin in Australia and not the Lions tour a week or so back. Five Live simply can't become the RL sports bulletin FFS. I think we get a decent crack on there and TBH more presenters than him are now saying Rugby Union when introducing an item instead of 'Rugby'.

Five Live simply can't become the RL sports bulletin FFS  (ffs? that's a tad severe.)......agreed, since it is already the official news channel of the RFU thanks to Campbell and Burden, which is part of the reason for my raising the issue. 

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

He did. Got very defensive on twitter about it.

he tends to. He's a real BBC type ..we are the BBC and we are never wrong. I know he is a big fan, and initially, he wore this on his sleeve, Rachel|Burden-style. Just wondered if this had worn off, that's all. Just asking, not starting WW4.

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Five Live simply can't become the RL sports bulletin FFS  (ffs? that's a tad severe.)......agreed, since it is already the official news channel of the RFU thanks to Campbell and Burden, which is part of the reason for my raising the issue. 

Apologies John (didn't mean to offend) but this subject touches a nerve with me a little. The BBC have got no radio or TV coverage of the Lions tour but you would think the had exclusive coverage with all the programmes, chat, b*lls**t they are peddling. On 5 Live yesterday the slimy sports reporter Will Perry said he had never looked forward to an occasion more that the Lions Test "and that includes the Olympics, The World Cup Final, The Champions League final etc..... blah, blah" . IMO George does his best to chip in while he can and I do believe RL gets decent coverage. But my FFS should be reserved for the constant swooning over anything RU - whether they have got the rights to show it or not!!

#15 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Maybe if RL had a major international game/series just getting into its stride that the media could enthuse about then they might, just might, do that.

As it is weve got Catalans Hull KR against the British Lions in Australia, eve of Wimbledon, Royal Ascot etc

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Scubby, understood and agree. T-dub,too, and yes, we'd have to be transmitting very loud music to be heard above the relentless boom-box of Wimbledon, Ascot and krikit, so it's maybe right to wait till all that has died down and the 30,000 wbankers spending their bonuses on the lions tour have sobered up and all the BBC freeloaders have returned.

Just that lovable old George seems to have gone off the boil.

#17 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

David Sadler please come in?
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just to add, I've not noticed his SL preview on videos on the superleague tv format recently. Well, I didn't think about it til now nor did I look out for them but they came to me and don't seem to have done for a wee while.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

... "Touchline".

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

The issue is not as Duff duff asserts, though what he says otherwise may be right.. THE issue is that in my perception, George Riley no longer refers to our game on air in the way he used to, whilst the programme anchor, Rachel Burden has if anything increased the frequency,duration and intensity of her references to her preferred game of union.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users