Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone else want USA to do well in the World Cup?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

As the title says, do you?
If they do well it could really kickstart the game there and then who knows what could happen!
Their union team seems to have a good following and league is closer to American Football so surely we'd be a better code to watch/play as it's what they're used to really.
Also, unlike Italy mentioned in the other thread, I think they'll be using mainly American players.
Your thoughts?

Edited by YCKonstantine, 22 June 2013 - 04:48 PM.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

The USA will be using as many heritage players as they can find. I'm in two minds about do I want them to do well. Yes for the obvious reasons and no for the discriminination shown by the AMNRL towards some American players. I used to follow the American game closely but my interest is now very low since the split competitions came about. I feel the same about Italian RL too.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Really hope they are competitive at the very least but I feel that they may be well out of their depth.

I do however feel that rl could really do well in certain parts of USA but like all things there is just not enough money to push the point in such a vast nation even though Russell Crowe does try.

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Really hope they are competitive at the very least but I feel that they may be well out of their depth.
I do however feel that rl could really do well in certain parts of USA but like all things there is just not enough money to push the point in such a vast nation even though Russell Crowe does try.

The only thing Crowe pushes in the US is Souths. He's never once been seen on a US chat show promoting US rugby league yet happily gets the hosts to wear Souths caps or shirts.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm looking forward to watching USA vs Cook Islands in Bristol. I'll be cheering the Cooks but still hope USA play well.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

The USA will be using as many heritage players as they can find. I'm in two minds about do I want them to do well. Yes for the obvious reasons and no for the discriminination shown by the AMNRL towards some American players. I used to follow the American game closely but my interest is now very low since the split competitions came about. I feel the same about Italian RL too.

It's looking like at least some USARL players could be selected for the World Cup. I doubt there will be too many domestics though.

TBH I don't think it makes much difference whether or not the USA do well at the WC, since the game over there is a bit of a disorganized rabble at the moment.

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hope they do well, but don't see it as a major things for the sport in the US. They seem to be a bit of a shambles over there. An article in (I think) 40-20 mag likened their level to a good country game in Oz or a good semi-pro game in England.

Just want to see some competitive games in the World Cup with the speccies who go, enjoying it.

Be a plus if it don't pee down for 6 weeks too.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

will be wanting the usa to do well, if the game can take off over there then the sky's the limit............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

If you have following the USA game over the past two years  you will know its all a bit of a shambles.

To many ego's and self interest seems to have stalled what should have been massive development.

Here's hoping the WC can unite the game on the other side of the pond.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

I hope the AMNRL Tomahawks do poor. They don't represent all of the game in the US and are causing the game over there to stall its development.
Posted Image

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm looking forward to watching USA vs Cook Islands in Bristol. I'll be cheering the Cooks but still hope USA play well.

Looking forward to the game too but might cheer for the US. Middle section of the main stand has sold out, which is great!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I like the tomahawks but there is no way their level is anyway near as previously stated

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

I live in the Philadelphia area and I have noticed recently when about "Rugby' I am not now always having to explain the differences between the two codes.There is a barmaid where I drink and her boyfriend plays for PHILADELPHIA FIGHT and I gave her Kevin Sinfield's testimonial shirt for him.He had actually heard of Sinfield and several other of our player's.However USA remains a very insular nation that only their culture has any interest to them.After many years of trying  Association football appears to be getting established,I see more and more people walking around in Philadelphia Union shirt's.However there are  most of them who only recognize their own sport's.I talk to another lad who works behindthe bar,very knowlegable on the 4 major US sports I alway's ask him about baseball and NFL,but he actually thought the "soccer "they play is a different version to FIFA rules.I would like USA to do well in the RLWC,but I am afraid it wont get noticed very much over here,not at the present time anyway

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

I just find it hard to see any real meaningful future given how big the United States is. We lack the resources and influence to get the job done, or at least that's what it seems like. So being the miserable #### that I am I think my answer is no, I really wouldn't want to see the USA do all that well because it would be a hollow gesture. I'd rather see some obscure nation, where league has a chance of establishing itself as a credible sport, playing themselves into a success story.

I've got my fingers crossed that rugby union really makes inroads and gets a professional comp and tv deal lined up within the next few years. I know I'm not supposed to say that, but union going from strength to strength is the only way I see league really going anywhere. And with their Sevens development going as great as it is, not to mention the talk of a professional comp in the next few years which is being backed by the NFL, I can see rugby union carving out a niche market for itself easily enough. We should be planning to capitalise on that.

The Americans aren't doing a bad job by any means, I just feel logistically the sport is out of our league in a place as big and commercial as the USA.

Edited by ChrisGS, 23 June 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

No, not ars3d I'm English .... Means nowt to me.... My only concern is England

#16 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

I just find it hard to see any real meaningful future given how big the United States is. We lack the resources and influence to get the job done, or at least that's what it seems like. So being the miserable #### that I am I think my answer is no, I really wouldn't want to see the USA do all that well because it would be a hollow gesture. I'd rather see some obscure nation, where league has a chance of establishing itself as a credible sport, playing themselves into a success story.

I've got my fingers crossed that rugby union really makes inroads and gets a professional comp and tv deal lined up within the next few years. I know I'm not supposed to say that, but union going from strength to strength is the only way I see league really going anywhere. And with their Sevens development going as great as it is, not to mention the talk of a professional comp in the next few years which is being backed by the NFL, I can see rugby union carving out a niche market for itself easily enough. We should be planning to capitalise on that.

The Americans aren't doing a bad job by any means, I just feel logistically the sport is out of our league in a place as big and commercial as the USA.

Football (soccer) is a minor sport in America and their national team is still relatively strong, and that's the biggest and most powerful sport in the world. 10% penetration in the USA is better than 100% penetration in even a reasonable sized country. Rugby union is irrelevant and I don't know WTF you are talking about with regards to that.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I can't work out what the NFL get out of promoting RU.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I hope all the teams play well and provide some exciting games with a couple of shocks. Mainly England winning in Cardiff and then again at Old Trafford!

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Some of the best games in world cups are those from which you have relatively few expectations. I hope all of the teams are competitive and a number of players from leagues outside of SL/NRL make a name for themselves on the world cup stage.

So yes, hope the USA do well.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Some of the best games in world cups are those from which you have relatively few expectations. I hope all of the teams are competitive and a number of players from leagues outside of SL/NRL make a name for themselves on the world cup stage.

I totally agree with that sentiment Browny. I'll be going to see the lesser lights rather than the usual suspects come WC time.

rldfsignature.jpg