Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone else want USA to do well in the World Cup?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

The USA will probably not do too much until there is a fourth nation in the region that gains rlif status giving the region its own qualifying zone and what not, they'll have to start working harder then. Jamaica seems to be growing very fast and Canada seems to be able to promote the games they have held very well, not sure how the club game is, but the National team gets supported. Next time there's a wc qualifying tourney, they will find it much much harder to make the WC if they don't start laying down proper roots and foundations. You can't rely on ringers forever.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I just find it hard to see any real meaningful future given how big the United States is. We lack the resources and influence to get the job done, or at least that's what it seems like. So being the miserable #### that I am I think my answer is no, I really wouldn't want to see the USA do all that well because it would be a hollow gesture. I'd rather see some obscure nation, where league has a chance of establishing itself as a credible sport, playing themselves into a success story.

I've got my fingers crossed that rugby union really makes inroads and gets a professional comp and tv deal lined up within the next few years. I know I'm not supposed to say that, but union going from strength to strength is the only way I see league really going anywhere. And with their Sevens development going as great as it is, not to mention the talk of a professional comp in the next few years which is being backed by the NFL, I can see rugby union carving out a niche market for itself easily enough. We should be planning to capitalise on that.

The Americans aren't doing a bad job by any means, I just feel logistically the sport is out of our league in a place as big and commercial as the USA.

I have been on many rugby tours to the USA to play union. The first was to Boston in 1969 and the game there was in the same state RL is in now, very few teams, very much a minor sporting anachronism and there internationals against only Canada drew a couple of thousand.

Today they are big in the colleges, have thousands of clubs. have there games on Fox and ESPN, especially the 7s of Olympic fame and just got an attendance of over 20,000 in Houston to see them have a very competitive game against Ireland.

So I hope RL can expand on the back of their coattails trading on the name Rugby and then showcasing the better attributes of our game. It is far better suited to American athletes than the confusing mish mash that is RU. If they can stabilise and grow there are enough top class athletes in the US who do not make the NFL, who could make the USA very competitive.

Fox soccer channel now show NRL and SL each week in the US so the message is getting out there. Hopefully the USgames from the world Cup will get some exposure.

The internecine struggle between two leagues has to end. The RLIF should step and sort it out. There are not really enough teams for two leagues.

As to the size of the country being a problem, I think the only was for them to go is to regionalise, and for the winners of each region maybe meet at a magic weekend type event to determine the national champion. Conferences are their speciality.

As to this November, my wife is a proud New Englander and my children are dual national Uk/US citizens so she and I will be there and we will be waving the stars and stripes enthusiastically. This is their first appearance and they had to qualify just to get there and the results are irrelevant to a degree but I do know they will give 100% effort from kick off to final whistle.

#23 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

To comment on a few of the earlier posts:

- I'll be supporting the USA in their World Cup endeavors even with the archaic political ban on our Boston 13s players and other USARL guys.

- In my opinion the 2 competitions desperately need to get back together to either provide an elite league and a development league *or* a North Conference / South Conference structure (The North/South split being my preferred option).

- I believe lots of heritage players will be used from what I heard on the grapevine.

- It's great that NRL & Super League is now shown on TV here but unfortunately rugby union is growing very strong and a rapid rate so rugby league is forever going to be in the shadows (Some think union growing will help RL, others think it will hinder it). From a personal point of view, here in Boston we've found it increasingly hard to recruit this summer as more and more players are playing summer 7s as they all have aspirations of making the US Olympic side. 

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone know if the RLIF has any actual power or jurisdiction to step in and mediate or even order re unification of the game in the USA and in Italy for that matter.

Maybe they could use the threat of a complete ban from international RL and the World Cup in the future unless the two nations get their houses in order and form one league.

#25 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

I know that Tas Baitieri was involved in the reunification talks over the offseason but as is evident, nothing really got sorted.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

Personal

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

To comment on a few of the earlier posts:

- I'll be supporting the USA in their World Cup endeavors even with the archaic political ban on our Boston 13s players and other USARL guys.

- In my opinion the 2 competitions desperately need to get back together to either provide an elite league and a development league *or* a North Conference / South Conference structure (The North/South split being my preferred option).

- I believe lots of heritage players will be used from what I heard on the grapevine.

- It's great that NRL & Super League is now shown on TV here but unfortunately rugby union is growing very strong and a rapid rate so rugby league is forever going to be in the shadows (Some think union growing will help RL, others think it will hinder it). From a personal point of view, here in Boston we've found it increasingly hard to recruit this summer as more and more players are playing summer 7s as they all have aspirations of making the US Olympic side. 

Rugby league the world over it seems shoots itself in the foot, time and again.  Union are far better organised and motivated and so deserve their success, sadly.  They will no doubt be helped by their acceptance into the Olympic comp. 

It is a real shame that Boston is struggling to find recruits and that their players cannot be involved in the world cup.  That they are not allowed to be involved is just ridiculous.  Maybe only a growing threat from RU will force those concerned to stop being so childish and reunite.  Well, one can live in hope anyway!

Meanwhile, in answer to the OP's question: yes, I do hope the USA do well.  I aim to watch one of their matches and I will be supporting them.  I even have a few American bits and pieces (like flags and stuff) left over from my numerous trips stateside which I will take with me to lend authenticity!!

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

With David Niu out of the picture, perhaps a reconciliation is more likely. Who knows? Yes, I want all the minor teams to do well, and for Australia to be the only team in the competition that gets nilled. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I hope the US side make a big impact, it would really give our game a spur. When I was in Hawaii, I ran a number of times in their marathon, incidentally the best of all runs, and on one occasion I spoke to a race steward who was wearing an Hawaii RL shirt, and he told me the game was popular among a number of youth teams. By the way, going by the size of the bloke I was talking to they could turn out some massive forwards.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

With David Niu out of the picture, perhaps a reconciliation is more likely. Who knows? Yes, I want all the minor teams to do well, and for Australia to be the only team in the competition that gets nilled. ;)

I'm embarrassed that Saints/St Helens Council have opted to support the Aussies when they play Fiji at Langtree Park.  I mean, most English fans with half a brain want the Aussies to be defeated at all stages.  How then can my club actively and openly support them?  It makes me want to weep!

So I'm supporting Fiji instead and am on the hunt for a Fiji top and I'm making a Fiji flag.  Damned if I'm going to be cheering for the convicts!

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

So I'm supporting Fiji instead and am on the hunt for a Fiji top and I'm making a Fiji flag.

Make sure you keep up to date.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think David is still involved, he's just also working with AFL Global (Arena American Football).

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

Personal

#32 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Football (soccer) is a minor sport in America and their national team is still relatively strong, and that's the biggest and most powerful sport in the world. 10% penetration in the USA is better than 100% penetration in even a reasonable sized country. Rugby union is irrelevant and I don't know WTF you are talking about with regards to that.

Rugby union is relevant in so far as rugby union will succeed where we've constantly failed. Rugby union has a real, viable future in America. Rugby league might do, but our future hinges on their success, on our ability to exploit the inroads they're making, where as their success is just about guaranteed with or without our existence. Therefore, our best hope of any real penetration would be to ride their coat tails of success. It seems rugby league people are too proud to do this, perhaps because it would mean conceding that rugby actually is growing and finding popularity in places we can't, I don't know, I suspect that's it.

Soccer is the biggest, richest sport in the world and it's taken decades to make inroads in a country built on migration. We aren't going to have 10% penetration in the USA! We aren't soccer, we aren't rugby. We don't even have 10% penetration in London, for christs sake! People need to stop looking and concerning themselves with America. It's a pipe dream at best. I'd sooner the game was doing something in Japan or Georgia, or Manchester, Birmingham, London, etc.

#33 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I can't work out what the NFL get out of promoting RU.

A product for the NFL network in the NFL off-season. The NFL clearly don't see rugby as a threat and don't mind giving the game exposure.

#34 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Rugby league the world over it seems shoots itself in the foot, time and again.  Union are far better organised and motivated and so deserve their success, sadly.  They will no doubt be helped by their acceptance into the Olympic comp. 

Since the inclusion in the olympics the USA Sevens team has had a number of NFL/College football players in the squad. The resources available to the Sevens squad are massive, they get access to a huge college system with athletes from all background open to approach. I've heard their coach say as an offhand example that there's however many thousand athletes upwards of 6'2, 220lb with a sub-11 100 metre on the database they've got.

It will be good for rugby league if they get a professional comp going, I think. We can use their popularity to attract people to rugby league, or at least we should be doing.

#35 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Rugby union has a real, viable future in America.

What makes you say that? How long has RU been in America?

rldfsignature.jpg

#36 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

You have to wish a team that has a player named Apple Pope all the luck in the world!!

Looking forward to the USA visiting Wrexham to play Wales.  They will get a fantastic welcome and I am sure we will make some good friends too.

#37 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

What makes you say that? How long has RU been in America?

About a million participants; thousands of teams throughout the country, many of which are at colleges and high schools; a growing Sevens scene on the back of Olympic inclusion, which has attracted numerous top-draw athletes and some former NFL players, including the fastest rugby player the world has ever seen; A future professional competition that will attract even more great American athletes and fans; A great partnership with the NBC; money; influence; that sort of thing.

The last time they held an IRB sevens tournament they got about 6 million viewers tuned in and an attendence of about 50,000. RU is going from strength to strength to strength in the United States. Sooner or later all of the good work that's been done is going to start snowballing.

#38 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

I would think that RL would appeal to Americans far more than RU does. The trick is getting enough of them to realise it exists as a separate entity. Some good news - as far as I'm concerned - earlier this month that the US Pro RU league sounds like pie in the sky. NRL put your new riches to good use - get in first and help start a pro league up!

#39 brooza

brooza
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

I met an American in Melbourne that was doing some travelling. He'd watched some RU and some AFL while he was over there but didn't get on with them. Took him to see Storm, and he's planning on visiting the DC Slayers when he gets back!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Rugby union is relevant in so far as rugby union will succeed where we've constantly failed. Rugby union has a real, viable future in America. Rugby league might do, but our future hinges on their success, on our ability to exploit the inroads they're making, where as their success is just about guaranteed with or without our existence. Therefore, our best hope of any real penetration would be to ride their coat tails of success. It seems rugby league people are too proud to do this, perhaps because it would mean conceding that rugby actually is growing and finding popularity in places we can't, I don't know, I suspect that's it.

Soccer is the biggest, richest sport in the world and it's taken decades to make inroads in a country built on migration. We aren't going to have 10% penetration in the USA! We aren't soccer, we aren't rugby. We don't even have 10% penetration in London, for christs sake! People need to stop looking and concerning themselves with America. It's a pipe dream at best. I'd sooner the game was doing something in Japan or Georgia, or Manchester, Birmingham, London, etc.

It was a pipe dream in Serbia, the Ukraine, Russia, Lebanon, Chech republic, Poland, Italy,Ireland, Fiji, Samoa. Jamaica, Canada etc etc.

Don't be so dismissive of a large country whose preference in football involves a funny shaped ball, running and tackling. From little acorns great oaks grow etc etc. The USA qualified for the World Cup for Pete's sake. They have played internationals in the USA against Canada, Ireland, South Africa and Jamaica.

Give them a sporting chance, how many hundreds of years have we been trying to make an impact in Wales ? Nobody is suggesting the RL community pour money into the American game, just that the International Governing body step in to sort out the split in the USA domestic competiton for the greater good of our sport.

We are always compaining about a shortage of players. Do you have any idea the riches of talent lying idle in the USA after their college/high school careers are over. If the US league could grow and prosper just a little bit there would be an instant source of players. Hull have already formed a link to the Canadian game. Don't be so parochial and insular in your thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users