Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield - what happened?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

I'm just wondering why Sheffield's grassroots scene hasn't kicked off as you might expect.

The city hosts a successful and established pro club, which still apparently harbours super league ambitions, yet, aside from the universities, has only really had one stable grassroots club (Hillsborough) within the city limits.

Sheffield Forgers came and went again and there are/have been various clubs in surrounding areas such as North Derbyshire (eg, Hope Valley, North Derbyshire, Dronfield Drifters - are they still going?) but still Sheffield only has one grassroots club.

Why is this? And what prospect is there

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'm just wondering why Sheffield's grassroots scene hasn't kicked off as you might expect.
The city hosts a successful and established pro club, which still apparently harbours super league ambitions, yet, aside from the universities, has only really had one stable grassroots club (Hillsborough) within the city limits.
Sheffield Forgers came and went again and there are/have been various clubs in surrounding areas such as North Derbyshire (eg, Hope Valley, North Derbyshire, Dronfield Drifters - are they still going?) but still Sheffield only has one grassroots club.
Why is this? And what prospect is there

Good question and I've long been asking this myself, for a city with a population of over 500,000 1 amateur side is not good enough. Surely with all the money the RFL got from sport England and the Sheffield eagles working in conjunction with BARLA more grassroots clubs could have been setup?

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Good question and I've long been asking this myself, for a city with a population of over 500,000 1 amateur side is not good enough. Surely with all the money the RFL got from sport England and the Sheffield eagles working in conjunction with BARLA more grassroots clubs could have been setup?

Working with BARLA ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

All the money ? It's not just gone to Sheffield.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

So what is the problem? Why aren't there more stable grassroots clubs in and around Sheffield?

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

So what is the problem? Why aren't there more stable grassroots clubs in and around Sheffield?

Used to be about half a dozen around the Sheffield area once upon a time, one of the first games I played was against Sheffield Concord.

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Used to be about half a dozen around the Sheffield area once upon a time, one of the first games I played was against Sheffield Concord.

Really? What happened? And why do teams like Forgers and Drifters pop up and then quickly fade away?

If the Eagles are really serious about Super League, isn't this something that needs addressing first?

Mark Aston made some more bold claims about the supposed latent support for Sheffield this week and was pretty scathing about a couple of existing super league clubs but, given the apparent dearth of interest in the game at grassroots level, where's this support base going to emerge from, let alone the players?

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Really? What happened? And why do teams like Forgers and Drifters pop up and then quickly fade away?

If the Eagles are really serious about Super League, isn't this something that needs addressing first?

Mark Aston made some more bold claims about the supposed latent support for Sheffield this week and was pretty scathing about a couple of existing super league clubs but, given the apparent dearth of interest in the game at grassroots level, where's this support base going to emerge from, let alone the players?

At one time Barnsley had loads of clubs too, and there were more in Doncaster. At Open Age there were more teams in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire than there are now.

Basically in our area they died a slow death due to having no junior development. BARLA weren't that interested in developing the junior base of the game - the RFL and the pro clubs are only interested in as far as that's where they get elite players from. Whether the rest end up playing Open Age is a very low priority for them.

Drifters were only ever a team rather than a club, and there have been lots of those around the game as long as it has existed at amateur level. Forgers tried to be a club but the junior development needed much more support from somehere to try to sustain the decent start it had. Once the juniors went, the Open Age weren't able to sustain themselves either in the summer game (Merit League was too easy/inconsistent and the RLC was too hard) or in the Pennine League (not sure where that went wrong, wasn't involved by then). The pool of Open Age players in Sheffield / Barnsley / Rotherham is pretty low right now - even when there were more teams the same players circulated round.

At the Chargers we are still too reliant on Union players but we now have a good number of players who have been with our junior development since 2008/2009. The current U16s are playing Yorkshire Juniors and are proper RL players. Realistically a longer season is needed to convert the Union lads but Pennine League in winter may be too much (and we would have nowhere to play) and Conference South would be too high a standard for a number of years.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Sounds like the best bet for Sheffield and its surrounding areas would be to build from the bottom up, starting with juniors.

It'll need a big and concerted push from someone to make it happen though.

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like the best bet for Sheffield and its surrounding areas would be to build from the bottom up, starting with juniors.

It'll need a big and concerted push from someone to make it happen though.

We've already started by taking on one of the Development officers made redundant by the RFL at Doncaster.

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

We've already started by taking on one of the Development officers made redundant by the RFL at Doncaster.

Good on you, Jim. But what are the pro clubs doing?

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

The Eagles are driving the Primary RL initiative, but response from the local clubs hasn't really been enthusiastic. I personally think it's the way forward.

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Even Hillsborough only have teams at U11s, U12s & U15s in Yorkshire Juniors. So there is a big gap below that.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Good on you, Jim. But what are the pro clubs doing?

It looks like Doncaster are starting to build their own player base with Balby Dons under 18's (mainly local amateurs)

If championship clubs adopted the RLC 2004 system of a short summer season in divisions of 6 teams then they would not be treading on the amateur clubs toes and a better relationship could be forged.

#15 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

The Eagles are driving the Primary RL initiative, but response from the local clubs hasn't really been enthusiastic. I personally think it's the way forward.

After years of being shafted local amateur clubs are fukced off (excuse my French) with pro clubs coming along and taking away sheds full of players to be abused and used has cannon fodder, this action tends to leave clubs in South Yorkshire short of players which in turn ends with teams folding leaving administrators and coaches disillusioned.

#16 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

After years of being shafted local amateur clubs are fukced off (excuse my French) with pro clubs coming along and taking away sheds full of players to be abused and used has cannon fodder, this action tends to leave clubs in South Yorkshire short of players which in turn ends with teams folding leaving administrators and coaches disillusioned.

Can't disagree with that. I think Primary RL is the way forward, not having pro clubs drive it.

#17 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

If championship clubs adopted the RLC 2004 system of a short summer season in divisions of 6 teams then they would not be treading on the amateur clubs toes and a better relationship could be forged.

Treading on toes? Stamping on heads would be more appropriate in many cases.

#18 MarkSlatz

MarkSlatz
  • Facebook
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

The Drifters have taken a year out this season, purely down to the cost of Insurance being increased. As a club the Drifters were run purely off sponsorship money and not from players. Having to pay the insurance cost to play 2 games during the summer didnt make financial sense. A Hillsborough Open Age side in the summer was created and our players were pointed in their direction.

The Drifters are looking to build relationships for next season within the South Side of Sheffield during the Winter and see where they go from there.

The Sheffield Hallam Eagles do also exist and therefore creating 2 Open Age Sides within Sheffield.

I suppose you could look at Sheffield Eagles and the Scholarship set up they have currently. Along with Hillsborough Hawks and this could technically be classified as 2 Junior Set Ups?

#19 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

I suppose you could look at Sheffield Eagles and the Scholarship set up they have currently. Along with Hillsborough Hawks and this could technically be classified as 2 Junior Set Ups?

No, not really, because they largely use players from the existing community clubs so it would be double counting.

The cost of insurance for teams wanting to play casual fixtures is very high - exactly the same as a team playing 20+ league fixtures, cups and friendlies.

#20 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Sheffield is a massive city and there's room for multiple clubs if the will is there.